Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
RegDawg
Apprentice
Apprentice

The 2 most annoying things about the Arlo system for me:

• Motion detection is not adequate enough
  • Battery replacements

I've been on the Arlo system for over a year and I've probalby spent about $60-$70 on batteries already. The motion detection is not that great either. I learned to just deal with it because I could no longer return it. Well reading about the new features of the Arlo Pro would mean I would need to invest in a NEW system again if I want to take advantage of the new features. The wireless cameras is the big seller but how much has the system improved with the Pro version...we'll have to see I guess.

How many of you are plannig to upgrade?

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Looking to upgrade just for the base ( which btw will be offer by itself)....

Main reason is wth the new base I'll get the local record on a usb speed stick. ( even for the older Arlos)

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
RegDawg
Apprentice
Apprentice

TomMac wrote:

Looking to upgrade just for the base ( which btw will be offer by itself)....

Main reason is wth the new base I'll get the local record on a usb speed stick. ( even for the older Arlos)

This is my plan as well. Anyone know if the new base will sync with more than 5 cameras (for FREE)??

Sampy123
Tutor
Tutor

Netgear should really consider making the local recording available to the existing unit - after all it already has 2 USB's. 

I just purchased my ARLO only 6 weeks ago and this doesn't give me comfort knowing that netgear is willing to support their products in the long-term. 

Quite disappointing to be honest. 

Guide
Guide

I am seriously considering it but there are two things that stand in the way:

1. Does the new system have better range? I have 3 cameras, one near the hub, in the middle of the house over the front door and one on the other side looking and the rear sliding door. All outside. The front door and sliding door frequently get poor reception (even though the front door has all bars and the sliding door is about half bars). Stronger signals are needed because my house is not that big.
  2. Can the old hub be used as a range extender? I have had the system for about a year and it was not cheap. Now a new hub and camera are $250 (hub are not sold seperatly, I asked). If I have to throw the old hub away, that increases the price well above what the systems value is.

Netgear really needs to either open the system up to allow the use of general Wifi extenders or offer a range extender for purchase.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

RegDawg wrote:
This is my plan as well. Anyone know if the new base will sync with more than 5 cameras (for FREE)??

Dunno if it was you I replied to in another thread but that's a PLAN issue, not a base issue.  The bases support 15 cameras.

Guide
Guide

I think he is thinking add 5 to one base and 5 to another. Five free for each base. 

I think that this would work IF he set up a separate profile for each base station. He would then have to constantly log out and in again under different user names to see the alternate set of camera. Sounds like that would be a huge pain for me so I won't be doing that. I would just go with a different vendor to add more "free" cameras.

On the positive side, you do get 7 days of storage with Netgear. Nest only offers 3 hours, which is MUCH TO SHORT for me. If they offered 7 days too, I would have moved to Nest. Samsung outdoor cameras are ridiculous with the extra box that it required to use their WIRED outdoor cameras.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There are tons of replies here about sharing one account's cameras with another using Settings, Grant Access. That way all cameras from multiple systems can be views with one login.