Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Rueg
Apprentice
Apprentice

In the Arlo notification emails, there always used to be a preview picture so I could possibly see what was captured in the video.  This stopped coming thru a few days ago making the Arlo emails pretty useless.  Is there a way to get the preview picture in the emails back?  I didn't change anything.  They just stopped showing up. 

Thanks.

Steve

175 REPLIES 175
jruddy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I received an email today stated that I needed to update my app before Sept 30th because Arlo and Netgear are splitting.

This happened with Kingsford Charcoal and a product called The Steakager. Kingsford acquired the product and their product/product support was terrible. Kingsford ultimately pushed them out, sent out an email apologizing for the poor service, and offered to refund any customers who had the product and were unhappy.

Long story short, I don't see a refund coming but clearly NetGear isn't happy with the Arlo team and is saying goodbye. Clearly nothing shocking considering Arlo's support is terrible.  I've already ruled out a 5 camera 4k upgrade but not sure what the future holds. Luckily I bought my current Pro system at Costco so a refund isn't out of question.

Guess it's time to seriously start looking at other solutions...  Thanks for nothing (literally) Arlo!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jruddy wrote:

... clearly NetGear isn't happy with the Arlo team and is saying goodbye.

Then why did Netgear keep ~85% of Arlo stock???  https://finance.yahoo.com/news/arlo-announces-completion-spin-off-224200909.html

Companies are spun off  for lots of reasons.  In this case I think the split (and associated IPO) was a way to generate more cash to accelerate development.

jruddy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Your quoting a article from 12/18/18? If you read it... "After the completion of the distribution, NETGEAR no longer owns any shares of Arlo common stock."

Looks like they took the cash and ran.

bagged84dime
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I updated my app the other day, hoping in vain that would somehow fix the email preview issue.  Now that I updated, I went from at least getting notifications of motion to no app notifications at all.  Still get the email notification though (without the preview).  So basically paid all this money to have a device inform me through email which I may not notice until hours later that motion was detected.  Great job arlo!

ScottK1
Guide
Guide
Arlo WHEN is this going to be fixed ???
sspeak
Guide
Guide
I just gave up and went to Gmail's Android app. Fixed my problem but I still think Arlo should fix theirs.
PaulOckenden
Star
Star

Still broken.

Outlook (Windows) and Android Gmail client not showing pictures.

Outlook (Mac) and iPad pail fine.

How many months has it been now?

Bhupys
Tutor
Tutor

Hello - this is directed to Arlo Support/moderator and needs escalation to support manager or development manager.

This issue has been on-going since May 2019. Surely someone in support or development should be looking at this? I have raised 2 tickets regarding this matter (May 2019 & Nov 2019) and yet nothing. Surely you are able to regress the release of this code? 

People have invested money into your product(s) and demand a solution. I would welcome some form of comment(s) as there are many people who, judging by the comments on this topic are some what cheesed off.

What we need to know is

a) Acceptance of the issue

b) Time to fix

c) ETA on release for fix

Regards

DanielRK
Tutor
Tutor

Does this problem go hand in hand with the missing trigger point in video thumbnails.?

Bhupys
Tutor
Tutor
No just email format and the way it is displayed within the email client.
MindCandy
Aspirant
Aspirant
My guess is that they do not intend to fix this and so that's why they don't reply. What's sad is that i was relatively happy with the product, have 6 of them around the house and have got several of my friends using them as well. Now I switched to recommending other companies due to the total lack of an answer or acknowledgement of the issue. Support asked me to not use outlook and instead use the web client! That is not a solution and pretends that the issue is with the user rather than the new code they rolled out to uosell their new upgrade package
DanielRK
Tutor
Tutor

I’m new to this forum, but I was a happy Arlo owner for 5 years with 5 cameras (3 Pro +2 Q)

When I logged on a few hours ago they ask me for a survey on this product and my answer was:

It’s a shame that you have downgraded the way software/cloud is working, and don’t listen to your customers complains.

This product is close to useless without the trigger of what happened in the email photo , or thumbnail in the videos. It worked when I bought this system, but now it shows the first frame of the event, which is often just the camera sight without an event, or a dark photo if at night.

And after I answer all questions and clicked submit, I got this screen.: Your survey answers were not submitted because you have already responded.!

Very professional, why waste my time and ask if you know the answer, or don’t want to hear it.

Arlo 2020-01-19 16_28.jpg

rulviebaby
Guide
Guide

I had a case with Arlo support.  They recently sent me an email saying they had made changes and to see if the issue was corrected.  Of course, it wasn't and I replied.  It got a little confusing and I opened a new case referring to the old case and within a week I got emails saying they were closing both cases since I hadn't responded or something like that.  Pretty cleaver way of getting rid of your issues.

ScottK1
Guide
Guide

Same here - except I replied no and sent them a screenshot showing it doesn't work.  Have not heard back.

PaulOckenden
Star
Star

Can't believe how long this issue has been ongoing. 

In fact, it worries me. It's starting to look like Arlo doesn't have any developers.

KillrZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Like everyone else I am sick and tired of Arlo ignoring this issue.  No more Arlo products for me and I'll tell a ton of others about their crappy support.  I plan to sell my Arlo system and cameras on CraigsList as soon as I get my new AMCrest system in place.  Two AMCrest WiFi cameras of four installed already.  Adios Arlo and your lack of support!!!

ranran
Apprentice
Apprentice

I  too have been greatly saddened and disappointed at their focus on new product sales instead of support for existing customers.  I have been looking for alternative systems that still offer a robust wire-free alternative - what made you choose AMCREST? How is their pricing, setup, and support in comparison to Netgear?

KillrZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Went to AMCrest WiFi cameras. Need AC power but no network wiring of course.  Advantage is no batteries and continuous monitoring including motion detecting alerts - and they aren't much more expensive, if at all since no base station is needed.  I'm using my PC as a NVR so I'm not paying for any recording service and I have an old iPad displaying all the cameras continuously.  Also accessible via the cloud.  I tried one (IP3M-956B) for $65 on Amazon and it took some getting used to with the (free) software, but I liked it and I'm expanding.  Bought 3 more and have 2 left to install.  Like many on this forum I really liked seeing the snapshot but Arlo doesn't give a crap about resolving the problem.  It's evident they don't care because there is no way this could be a difficult fix since Gmail and other Web mail services display the snapshot.  It's only Outlook to my knowledge.  I would not have gone a different direction if Arlo would have addressed the problem.  I'll dump their crap on Craigslist in the Spring.  Thanks for Nothing Arlo!

ScottK1
Guide
Guide

It's not just Outlook.  It's practically every Android mail app, including Bluemail.

wake_rider
Aspirant
Aspirant

New Arlo owner here as of this week.  I noticed this same problem on my pixel 3 android gmail app, but I checked the wife's phone and saw the images showing up (pixel 2xl gmail).  I checked her settings and saw that she turned on "Always display external images".  So for now I just enabled the same setting in android gmail and now they are showing.  Interestingly enough, on the desktop gmail client I get the prompt to "always show images from this sender" like I should, which then works, but the prompt doesn't come up on the android gmail app.  Not sure how google decides to show that prompt or not, but that appears to be the root cause for me.  Either way, happy that I have the preview images showing for gmail.

DanielRK
Tutor
Tutor

Do you get a picture of the actual event, or just the first frame with no one in the picture?

treebuilder
Apprentice
Apprentice

Using Nine email client (mobile), Outlook email client (mobile), Outlook email client (desktop), roundcube email client (web), there is no picture.  It is not being hidden by the client.  It is simply not present.  Roundcube has the option to show all images in an email, and it is selected for all emails from Arlo.

Additionally, all clients I just mentioned show placeholders for missing images when the client is preventing you from viewing them for security purposes, and gives you the option to view them.

There is no placeholder present in the emails, either.

This problem has been going on for a year.  It's not going to be fixed.  The company doesn't care.

Bhupys
Tutor
Tutor

Hi all. I am using Nine email client on my Samsung and for just under a year no picture previews. However, do the following (Nine Email Client ONLY!!!!)
Open Nine -> Settings -> General -> Message Body ->  Uncheck Automatic hyperlinks

It now works on my email client... Hope this helps 🙂

AndreasH
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi.

Considering switching to Arlo.

Coming from a Logitech Alert system, I am used to receiving an email with a snapshot every time one of my cameras detect motion. 

After reading some forums, I understand that that is/used to be a function for Arlo Cameras as well,

but that there have been some problems (last year) 

Is the functionality with snapshots received via email now working? 

Thanks 

ArloUserAus
Aspirant
Aspirant