Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Greg555
Aspirant
Aspirant

What do they mean by "HD Quality"????

Installed my Arlo Pro 4 camera kit yesterday and IM seriously not impressed

It is trimmed a bit because file size was 4MB and it was too large but does this look normal?

Thx

Greg

I have them set to highest quality and everything is still pixelatedarlo.png

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
HD means 720p. Pixelation can be caused by many things, including Internet upload speeds, connection quality between the cameras and base (distance, house construction, ductwork, wiring, interference from other 2.4GHz devices which is not limited to WiFi, etc.) or even bad hardware. Are all cameras pixelated or just some? If the latter, swap cameras around to see if the issue stays with the camera or the location. Try moving g the base away from other wireless devices.

We can't see the image yet since has to be approved.
Greg555
Aspirant
Aspirant

They all seem to be pretty disappointing quality

Ill move the base and report back

What's the option during setup if camera is connected to Base or wireless? I have Google MESH routers with awesome coverage

Greg

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You mesh setup doesn't really help as the cameras sync/connect to the BASE ONLY on it's own wifi network.

The only way to really expand the coverage area is by adding a second base off one of you hubs

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Greg555
Aspirant
Aspirant

I only mentioned my mesh because someone mentioned the interference

Cameras are not that far away from base and thats why im asking about the quality

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Saw your pic... that close to the best you will get at 720...  I don't think moving things around will improve it much

Morse is faster than texting!
kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

Honestly that seems fairly clear to me, but, there is a setting under each camera for "best video" "optimized" "best battery life".  You can bump that up to "best video" but you may see reduced battery life. These are 720p, STREAMING wirelessly, I'd say overall the video quality is very good.  I have no issues making out people and cars.  Now reading license plates, depends, but most cameras have trouble doing that unless they are 1080p, HARD wired and the video file they create is often quite large.  Given the balance of quality vs size vs convience, Arlo does a great job at doing that balance in my opinion. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I agree that the pic is normal (and not pixelated).  720p is less than 1 megapixel, 1080 is only about 2 megapixels.  Add on compression as well as very wide angle lenses and you can see that it's a compromise.  You can see what's going on but detail is lost, especially when trying to zoom in.