Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMB4000 Base Station will not connect

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Retired_Member
Not applicable

When following the add device instructions, the base station does not connect.  When the power is turned on it flashes green and then the very left amber light comes on solid.  After a view minutes all three green lights come on solid and shortly thereafter, the center green light flashes a little.

This is a new unit and I am frustrated with it.  Please help.

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As long as the power and Internet LEDs are green, you're good to go. However, having the Camera LED being green is an issue. Hold the base reset button until the LEDs flash amber. Let the base reboot and try again.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

So I'm not sure I correctly explained what it is doing to I will try to do so again.  I've unplugged the router and unplugged the base station from the router and have now plugged the router back in and it is working.  Here's what happens when you follow the steps on the add device section of the Arlo app:

1.  Plug in the router cable into the Arlo unit. 

2.  Plug the power cord into the Arlo unit.  

3.  All three green lights flash for a split second  on the base station.

4.  Green lights go off and a solid amber light illuminates the far left side.  The middle part and the right section go dark.  This stage stays this way for a full minute or so.

5.  The amber light on the left goes out and is replaced by a green light in all three section.  Solid green, all three.  It stays this way for just a little while and then the green light in the middle flashes a little, turns solid... I can't really  get a good read on a pattern here but honestly at this point my Arlo app says nothing has connected and asks me to retry.

All through this there are no cameras involved so please don't talk about cameras or what lights mean what on them.  It doesn't matter until I can get the base station connected and talking about cameras and lights only confuses and frustrates me more.

I apologize that my frustration is coming through but this is easy for you because you understand it and I don't.  All I got from the reply was to reset it and that did abolutely nothing.  And why in the hell does my  base models model number come up in the subject line.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I believe I understand your process and frustration but bear with me. The one step you didn't do was to reset the base. Unplugging it is NOT a reset. That's what the little hidden button next to the power switch on the base is for. Like almost all recent electronic devices that sometimes need to be reset, you have to press that button until the LEDs blink. 

I believe the reason for your problem is that the Camera LED is green after the base fully boots up. That isn't a proper indication for a new system - it should be either off or solid amber. This is why I need you to perform the reset so that LED is proper - it's currently in an unknown state for an initial setup.