Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Anyone used a USB extension cord like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LA56WDM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A21TE5CLHZDYA7&psc=1 and hook it up to the OG NG cord and AC adaptor?  I tried with a shorter 6 foot cord to charge my Arlo Pro and it worked. I want to use this outside plugged into a protected outdoor oulet. My cam is under a soffit. I plan to wrap electrical tape where the two USB cords meet and possibly just put a small piece of tape around the end which plugs into the cam.  Any feedback?

The reason I consider this is the Netgear (NG) outdoor adapter cable is way too short at 6 feet when I need 20 feet. The Wasserstein after market cord is 20 feet but seems it has a f ed implementation of the end which plugs into the cam.

Also regarading the cams actually only charging to 80% is that circuitry built into the cam or the NG AC adapter (which I intend to use).

1 REPLY 1
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It's good to use larger gauge wire on the usb cord when using to run power ( dc on small gauge can cause issues )

I see no issue if you can make it water tight and a physical tight connection.

What I have use in some of my outdoor connections are a quality electical tape and then over wrap the tape with coax seal ; https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Electronics-Original-104-Moldable/dp/B0002ZPINC

It's a rubber goo in tape form you wrap on and then mold.. keeps water out ( the elec tape is only for easy removal later )

The 80% charge is a built in factor of the camera, so the battery can remain in the camera and not be overcharged using the ac adapter.  ( only will really charge to 100% with the charge tube )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------