Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Courtneychap
Tutor
Tutor
Installed/mounted today and all worked fine until I was prompted in the device area to upgrade firmware - Well 2 of my 4 new cameras upgraded with the new firmware fine - 2 cameras refuse - keep getting a message that upgrade failed - camera rejected upgrade. Now these 2 do not work - after paying to have them installed!
I’ve turned it off and back on - I’ve read bad news from other users - are these are buggy and irreparable? Or is there someway to fix the cameras so they’ll work again -

OH also, no sound... no options for sound yet the box clearly states there’s audio - where do I find that?
7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The installer should have handled the firmware upgrade. Right now, the fastest thing to do is to remove the cameras from Settings, My Devices and resync them (you may not need to pull the cameras down - I've successfully synced the cameras while still mounted at a distance from the base). What is the signal strength for these cameras? Have you restarted the base?

You have chosen the original wireless cameras as your model so there is no audio. Dunno where you see that audio is included.

Courtneychap
Tutor
Tutor
The installer is a handyman (drilled them into wal for me, he’s not a tech guy and I set up the app and base myself inside my house - he only put cameras up).
My signal strength is very low on all the cameras (1-2 bars at most) but I have strong WiFi throughout my house decides so not sure why signal strength is low.
The box they came in and the instructions say they have audio - the settings window said device and audio settings in the app but then you go into that setting and there is no audio - I bought these BECAUSE they said they have audio on the box, and my friends camera has audio, he recommended them to us - I can’t return them at this point because it took me 2 months to find someone to attach them to my house for me so am I stuck with these then I guess and all the info online says this is a bug/error and the company had to send out new cameras (which then still won’t upgrade firmware) I usually don’t buy tech stuff for this reason - something always doesn’t work right -
Thank you for any help
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

How the base is positioned relative to the cameras and compared to your WiFi positioning could explain the difference. Are the cameras outdoors or in? Wall construction, ductwork, etc. can all help block the signal. Have you tried to update the camera with it close to the base? What are your upload and download speeds as found by using speedtest.net?

Can't address the audio statement on these boxes - I haven't seen the current production boxes. Perhaps they're using common terminolgy that implies the Pro features even on the older cameras. Can you post a shot of both the box and the instructions? I'd like this to get forwarded. If possible, get the whole box side with the model number (or multiple shots of multiple sides). Where did you buy the system? What country?

Courtneychap
Tutor
Tutor
Bought them online on eBay a few months ago and I just re-synced all of the cameras to try that and now the base station will not connect to internet (?) I’ve tried resetting my own router, unplugging Ethernet and power cord and back on so how did I lose the base station now? The green light won’t come on and all the cameras are down in the app because it says base is offline
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Buying from eBay is always chancy, especially with electronic devices. They're not authorized distributors like Amazon, etc.  As such, there's no warranty.

The lack of the Internet light says the base doesn't even see the router. This can be caused by a bad port on either the base or the router or a bad Ethernet cable. At this point you have nothing to lose so try the reset button on the base until the LEDs flash amber. If you then get the green Internet LED, remove all devices in Settings, My Devices. Use the Add Device button on the Devices tab to reclaim the base. Sync the cameras.

BTW, the packing issue has been escalated.

Courtneychap
Tutor
Tutor
Well I think it isn’t a bad Ethernet cable because it’s brand new, worked fine and the base was connected well for a while, it’s just strange because only when I tried to update firmware did my perfect new 4 cameras that had been functioning fine, all of a sudden went down and then when I try to RE-sync the base goes down and won’t come back online for nothing - that’s not a bad Ethernet cable - that’s buggy firmware imo and so I need to find someone who can fix it? Any references for a place that may be able to offer some tech help to see the base in person maybe?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The official Arlo support is found by using the Contact Support link at the bottom here and again on the new page.