Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Isolating the Arlo Pro base station on a seperate VLAN

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
doolbneerg
Follower
Follower

I am in the process of upgrading my network to include managed hardware so that I can start incorporating VLANs. Are there any features of the Arlo Pro system that I will loose if I isolate it to a seperate VLAN that only has internet access and can't talk to anything on the local network?  It seems like everything goes out to the cloud, however I can't tell if the app will use a direct connection when it is on the same network.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

No you won't lose any functionality. The cameras only talk to the base unit, they never use your wifi for any type of direct or local communication. As long as your VLAN has internet access and the base has internet access you're good to go. If your incorporating a firewall anywhere along the way the base needs port 80 and port 443 open to talk to the cloud so be sure to allow that traffic. Other than that you should be good.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

No you won't lose any functionality. The cameras only talk to the base unit, they never use your wifi for any type of direct or local communication. As long as your VLAN has internet access and the base has internet access you're good to go. If your incorporating a firewall anywhere along the way the base needs port 80 and port 443 open to talk to the cloud so be sure to allow that traffic. Other than that you should be good.