Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Nb540
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having trouble adding my device as a trusted mobile device for geofencing. I can tick the box to add but it doesn't save. 

Have tried reinstalling app, changing phone name. No luck. It used to work so not sure what the issue is. Grrr

12 REPLIES 12
BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Here is some troubleshooting steps to see if we can fix the behavior you are experiencing. 

How do I add and manage multiple mobile devices for geofencing? (arlo.com)

Nb540
Aspirant
Aspirant

The issue is adding my own mobile device, not adding a friend's. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

To configure your mobile device for more accurate geofencing:

1. Enable GPS or location services so that Arlo can locate your device. Location is required.
  2. Wi-Fi is optional but highly preferred.

Note: By default, your Android device enables the overall location service, though you need to grant permission to each app you install. If location services have been turned off for your Android device, you can switch it back on with a few taps.

1. Open Settings and tap Location.
  2. If it's off, turn on Use location by swiping the button to the right.

Note: If location services have been disabled for your iOS device, you can turn it back on with a few taps.

1. Open Settings, then tap Privacy.
  2. At the top of the page, tap Location Services and, if disabled, turn it on by swiping the button to the right.

Then try the folowing:

Note: As you tap through the Arlo Secure App instructions, the geofencing wizard displays various prompts. Click OK, got it or Don't show this message again as you move through the steps.

1. Launch the Arlo Secure App on your device.
  2. Tap Mode > preferred Arlo device > Geofencing.
    The Arlo Secure App Would Like to Use your Location prompt displays.
  3. Tap OK or Allow.
    If you are using an Apple device with iOS 13 or newer, you will receive another prompt later, when you are not actively using the app. You will need to tap Change to Always Allow to keep your Geofencing preferences running at all times.
    Note: Geofencing works only if Arlo can locate your mobile device.
  4. Tap the Address field, type the address location that you want your geofence to center around, and tap Next.
    The geofence radius displays as Medium.
  5. (Optional) To change your radius setting, tap the radius icon, select a radius size, and tap Next. Radius size options are SmallMedium, or Large (approximately 150 meters, 250 meters and 500 meters, respectively).
  6. Enter a name for your location and tap Next.
  7. Select an Away mode and tap Next.
    Note: When your mobile device is Out of Zone, the Arlo device defaults to the Away Mode. Most people select Armed or Custom Mode while they are away.
  8. Select a Home mode and tap Next.
    Note: When your mobile device is In Zone, the Arlo device defaults to Home Mode. Most people select Disarmed or Custom Mode while they are home.
    If you have more than one enabled mobile device, you might be asked to select an Arlo device to connect it to.
  9. (Optional) Tap the preferred mobile device and tap Next.
  10. Tap Save.
  11. Tap Finish.
  12. Geofencing has been set up on your Arlo device.
Nb540
Aspirant
Aspirant

As I mentioned, I am unable to add my own device. My device displays as an option, but the problem is when I tick my device as an enabled device, it does not save. Therefore, it displays as no devices are enabled to set off the geofencing. 

Nb540
Aspirant
Aspirant

See screenshot examples. 

1000000512.jpg

1000000514.jpg

1000000515.jpg

  

RFHol
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I'm having the same problem as you.  I changed my phone and attempted to set up an account on the new one.  I remove the app from my old phone, but can't seem to configure the Geofencing correctly.

Have you found a solution yet?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You don't need to set up an account on any device - you just install the app and log in as before.

Do you see Library or Feed to view recordings? Answers vary according to what you see.

RFHol
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

Maybe a poor choice of words in my last post.  I installed the software a few times and checked all permissions for location and still no luck. 

Everything seems to work normally except for enabling the mobile device.  It detects motion and records fine.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you checked for the new phone to be listed as a device that can be used for geofencing? It would seem so but...

ANd location services are enabled for the app all the time?

RFHol
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello.  

Yes, location services are enabled for the app all the time.  I can't find where to check the phone compatibility, but it is a Samsung Z Filp5.

I set up the phone by copying everything from my Galaxy S9+.  I will restore the Z Flip5 to factory default and try that.  As it is, I don't know if the phone is defective or not.

Thanks for your suggestions.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you still experiencing this behavior or was you able to add your device to Geofencing.  

RFHol
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

Yes, still unable to connect.  I reset the phone to factory default and installed only Arlo, but still no luck.  The phone is new, and I may change it. Everything else works okay though.

If I do get it working, I’ll post.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Bob