Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Kulit1234
Tutor
Tutor
What is the maximum USB memory I can use for the Arlo Pro? Will it continue to record after the 7 days or 1 GB free cloud memory? I understand that it will simultaneously record but if you get a bigger memory can it record after the 7 days? Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Seven days storage is for the basic ( free) level and tho 1 gb limit is mention ( prob for the suits ) , it is not enforced.

If you think another way, 10 secs is about 1 Mb.  That would allow a thousand 10 sec videos.  

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
steve_t
Master Master
Master

USB recording is only a backup if the cloud storage goes down for some reason

Kulit1234
Tutor
Tutor
I was thinking of getting a 128gb of usb drive so it wojt continuously record after the 7 days
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's the Arlo servers that delete the files, not the base. I believe that you can fill up whatever device you plug into the USB port which is why the settings allow overwriting when full. I have a 1TB hard drive plugged in and will try to remember to unplug and check it out on the computer.

Kulit1234
Tutor
Tutor
That sounds even better. This will be good if you need coverage when youre gone longer than 1 week on vacation. I can get a 1TB if that is the case. Thanks
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just checked the drive and it has all videos recorded from the cameras attached to the base since Oct. 18.  There are numbered folders starting at 0000 that each contain 512 videos (not sure why 512 but there ya go).  The video names would have to be converted from epoch time just like many of the downloaded videos.

I seem to have a weirdness with my base - not sure if it's normal or not but every time I have to do something with attached hardware (USB drive or cameras) it seems to need to be power cycled.  A restart via the Restart button in Settings, My Devices, my base doesn't seem to do it.  When I reattached the hard drive, the interface said I needed to reformat the drive.  A power cycle simply reconnected the drive.  So, I make a hardware change and I power cycle - it's just the way it is.

Kulit1234
Tutor
Tutor
Thank you so much for checking and for the information. So you have to reformat hard drive everytime you reconnect it back to base. That is indeed odd instead of it just to continue recording from where it left at.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As I mentioned above, the initial indication was to format the drive but a power cycle cleared that up so I lost nothing. It may be my base, it may be a firmware issue.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

That's great news!! That's even better than anyone had thought. Gotta get me a Pro base