Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Since Netgear didn't really think that anyone would like to run the camera with the USB for costant power on the exterior of the house, does anyone have a suggestion on the easiest way to weatherproof the connection to the camera other than applying a bead of silicone?

8 REPLIES 8
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

As a reminder, NETGEAR does not advise the use of the Arlo Pro outdoors when charging via the power adapter. This leaves the USB port exposed allowing weather to potentially cause damage to camera. Using the camera this way is at your own risk and could potentially void the warranty.

There are plans to release an Arlo Solar Panel that may be a good solution for your outdoor use case. For more information on this, see here: How can I use the Arlo Solar Panel?

JamesC

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

"The weatherproof Arlo Solar Panel connects to the Micro-USB port on the Arlo Pro camera"

I'm confused. If I am reading this correctly, the solar panel connects to the same usb port as the charger/adapter.

Is the solar panel micro usb connector weatherproof not leaving the port exposed?

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

James,

Could you forward an image of the micro usb connector from the solar panel so I can see the difference compared to the charger?

Thanks,

Dave

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This product is not yet available and the only information I have is in the article above. We will have more information on how the Solar Panel works and it's specs closer to it's release early next year.

JamesC

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I finally had a chance to install the new Pro on the exterior of my garage with constant power from the USB AC adapter.

The adapter is indoors and the wire runs through my vinyl soffit to a threaded ball mount..

After inserting the micro usb into the camera, I trimmed off the USB weatherproof plug which was in the way. I took some black mastic tape, wrapped and squeezed it around the end of the connector sealing any space around the connection.

The threaded mount cleared the usb connection but the stock tightening shoe would not even come close to clearing it so I removed it, put a 1/4-20 nut and rubber washer on it instead and it "barely" cleared. This was a terrible design oversight by Netgear. They obviously did NOT design the Arlo Pro to be thread mounted and constantly USB power connected for either interior or exterior applications. Why? I have no idea since that was one of the features that many of us were asking for.

On a further note, if this solar panel that is being developed is supposed to be connected through the micro usb port, there is NO WAY it will connect, be weatherproof and still allow a thread mount application. There is simply no clearance, plain and simple.

I am being told that I may void my warranty by using the USB in exterior applications since it is NOT weatherproof, yet Netgear either purposely made it this way to force users to use a battery for all applications or they were just totally ignorant of the fact that many users wanted constant power and didn't make it a weatherproof connection.

The camera should have been designed so that the female micro USB connector had a weatherproof door so that once the male was inserted the door closed and created a seal with a rubber gasket. Problem solved.

Other than that issue, I find the new Pro to be excellent and works well with my original Arlo.

lamjam
Aspirant
Aspirant

anyone have any updates on mods they are doing? Im thinking of going this route but the suppied cable is just tad too short to my plug inside. Im thinking of just putting silcon around the seams and putting some srink wrap around the exposed portions of the cable that is outside.

Streak2
Master Master
Master
DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
They make 10 foot USB cables. I picked one up at big lots. Just make sure the plastic connector fits in the plug recess. Silicone or mastic will work to seal it.