Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro false triggers due to street traffic motion

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Does the Pro require one of those protective shields (as suggested solution for original Arlo) in order to stop false triggers from passing by vehicles and/or high brightness from sunlight flashes?

Would I need to rotate camera upside down in order to install proper shield and how does that affect motion sensing?

Camera looking at street is my only option for location.

Thanks.

Paul

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Hi Paul...

Personally haven't tried the pvc hood, but have tried black elec tape carefully placed over sensor. It worked to some extent, but in the end I moved the camera which was easier.

( btw, some did invert the camera )

It's one of those things you'll just have to 'trial&error' to get right... let us know how it works for you and take pics.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

TomMac wrote:

Hi Paul...

Personally haven't tried the pvc hood, but have tried black elec tape carefully placed over sensor. It worked to some extent, but in the end I moved the camera which was easier.

( btw, some did invert the camera )

It's one of those things you'll just have to 'trial&error' to get right... let us know how it works for you and take pics.

Hi Tom,

I'm trying to replace one of my original Arlo cameras with a Pro, unfortunately it is one most subject to extreme brightness. I never used the pvc hood either, instead I used a piece of velcro (the hard side), easy to trim and stick on and good weather resistant. However, to make it work I had to rotate camera upside down, it worked great for a long time.

I don't know whether it can be done similarly with the Pro or if anyone has tried that yet.

we'll see.....

Thanks.

Paul

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

When I got my Pros, I placed them where my original cameras were (actually did a side-by-side test for a while). The Pro cameras seem more resistant to cars driving by than the originals.  I now have one original in place that I had to put a small strip of electrical tape over the top of the PIR to keep from recording cars while the Pro nearby has more street in view yet few triggers.  YMMV.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

jguerdat wrote:
.....I now have one original in place that I had to put a small strip of electrical tape over the top of the PIR to keep from recording cars while the Pro nearby has more street in view yet few triggers.  YMMV.

Did you stick the tape right on the PIR, covering part of it or on the camera frame?

It would be rather difficult doing same with the Pro as motion sensor design is way different.

Thanks.

Paul

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I agree. I used the tape o we the top tip of the PIR which covered enough to work. Trial and error could have been needed but I managed to get it first try. I have no idea how to do the same with the Pro since I'm not sure exactly where the sensors are located. Maybe LOTS of trial and error.
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Looks like the new Arlo Pro skins do the trick. The hood style edge built in the skin seems to actually protect from triggering false motion due to street traffic as well as bright light flashes. Was about to install a protective hood or tape on camera, but then I tried the silicone skin and it made a big difference. Got sensitivity setting for that camera all the way up to 95% and so far so good.

Paul

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not sure why the hood would make a difference since it's at the top of the camera while the PIRs are at the bottom.  Maybe it's just the repositioning that happened when you had to remove the camera to put the skin on.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

jguerdat wrote:

Not sure why the hood would make a difference since it's at the top of the camera while the PIRs are at the bottom.  Maybe it's just the repositioning that happened when you had to remove the camera to put the skin on.

Not sure myself......however it has made the difference. The skin has a bit of an extended lip all around, more noticeable on its top. Since camera is facing down, PIR must be getting some protection from the extended cover. Place a skin in one hand (angled down) while holdind a flash light in the other hand, point it to the skin from as far as possible. Notice how the light hits less of the skin inner front.

As to the camera repositioning, I doubt that, as I always take a snapshot of camera view before moving it. That way it alwas goes right back in exactly same spot.

Paul