Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
jag1222
Initiate
Initiate

I've just bought a base station and two Pro wire-free cameras. I set up the master account and have shared access with my spouse. I was able to connect the system to SmartThings and to IFTTT, however, he would also like to set up functionality through IFTTT. I was told that only the Master account holder can connect/add through SmartThings and through IFTTT. Both of us need this kind of full access and it makes no sense to keep one spouse as merely a "friend."

Can you fix this so that we can both have full functionality and access to our shared home security system through our individual accounts?

13 REPLIES 13
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Sound like more of an issue with Smartthings and IFTTT only allowing one master login

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jag1222
Initiate
Initiate
Nope. Both allow a second person full control of the household things and access, but Netgear tech support confirmed this is their issue and don't permit more than one account to have full access. In fact, they recommended I post here for developers to take notice that two heads of household should be allowed to have full access to controls.
buckee
Tutor
Tutor

I agree that they should allow more than 1 master/admin account.

Here is the official KB that says, "Arlo allows only one registered administrative user per account"

https://kb.arlo.com/000039106/How-can-multiple-people-access-the-same-Arlo-account

1Kratos
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jag1222 wrote:
Nope. Both allow a second person full control of the household things and access, but Netgear tech support confirmed this is their issue and don't permit more than one account to have full access. In fact, they recommended I post here for developers to take notice that two heads of household should be allowed to have full access to controls.

I agree 100%, we should be allowed at least 2 master accounts. My wife and I both travel and would hate if I had to deal with simple settings like notifications in between flights etc.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's not enough flexibility with the Grant Access capability already available?

Porteam53
Aspirant
Aspirant
I would like to know the answer too on how to set husband and wife on the same account
1Kratos
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat wrote:

There's not enough flexibility with the Grant Access capability already available?

No it’s limited, you can’t set or turn off notifications for one.

Can’t configure/edit alarm functions

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Did you also allow the Allow Access Rights at the bottom? Notifications depend on which one you're talking about. Push notifications are globally set in your modes but can be enabled/disabled in your phone settings for the app. Email notifications are on a per address basis. What exactly are you trying to do and failing?

Thranil
Initiate
Initiate

I agree with this. My spouse should be able to control the system from her phone just like I can. It makes no sense to restrict this access to only one person!

Rusdom
Initiate
Initiate
Can any Arlo developers comment on when this feature will be available?

We need the ability to give multiple people master control of the system. It doesn’t make sense to only be able to have one master account. Many times we need to restart the system because it isn’t working properly (the cameras sometimes just stop recording anything, and only a system/base station restart gets them working again), and currently I’m the only one who can do that through the app, because I’m the only one allowed to have master control. It would make so much more sense if I could also grant another user (my wife for instance) FULL access so she can also reset the system through the app.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tried Settings, Grant Access with the optional access privileges? That will do 90% of what the master account can do.

1Kratos
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat wrote:

Have you tried Settings, Grant Access with the optional access privileges? That will do 90% of what the master account can do.

Yes I have set that up and that’s not good enough.

On the second admin account, the fact you can either have alerts or non at all iis annoying. You should be able to have alerts on different cameras for each account.

Rusdom
Initiate
Initiate

Unfortunately, the fact that you can only grant access to about 90% of what the master account can do is the problem. Restarting the system for instance is something only the master account can do, and is an issue we rutinely run into. The cameras wont be working for some reason; restarting the system remotely always fixes the problem, but if I (having the master account) am not available to do that, then my wife is out of luck since she can't have full master access.

It doesn't really make sense that you can't give someone else master level access. A solid fix would be to have 2 levels of access you can grant, 1 access for master level control of the system, and 1 access for people who need to be able to view the system, but not have master level control.