Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
lovejones
Star
Star

i have just purchased and setup Arlo Pro, i am currently using the old cameras from the wireless station as well as the arlo pro cameras. have to say, impressed these can be used with newer boxes and not throw away like to many things these days. the issue i have though is, the cameras (both types) are lagging terribly. from testing not so bad via pc, lag is around 10 - 15 seconds, but via mobile app, they lag somewhat 45 seconds not including the the play lag of up to another 45 seconds, sometimes loop on live, which is very odd, and to use the voice on the new cameras, well, the live feed sticks, goes blocky, sound is heard but then its muted and heard and muted (hope you understand what i mean) and if they reply its hangs, and this is all if and only if the voice control connects and allows me to speak, and if it connects whilst the person is in view of the camera as with the 45 second lag, my stuff nicked and they have run off or if its delivery or the like, they have left by the time the bloody thing allows to speak after all the above is happening. my cameras are all set on optimized, though i found this to be poor at night, but during the day i found best to be poor during the day! so, my question is, does anyone else have this issue? what setting does everyone have the flicker adjustment set to, i have it set to 50, would it worth setting to 60?

10 REPLIES 10
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Your lag does seems excessive... usu it's about 2-3 seconds.

First thing I would ask is, what is you data speed... as a slow upload will make the lag excessive.

Throw a phone into the mix and an older slower phone doesn't help.

( as to flicker ajust, the usu default would be 60 )

As to fixing, see how much data ( if able ) you have streaming compared to the total bandwith... the Pros need about a min of 1Mbs up.

test speed : https://www.speedtest.net/

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
lovejones
Star
Star

so the lag on pc is tollerable, i am on NBN with ↓ 48,6 Mbit/s↑ 22,7 Mbit/s, though can fluctuate between 5pm and 9 pm but that said, its still good speed. my phone is voip, yet i have set the arlo in my modem to run as priority, so if i open and want to view, technically regardless of anything else, my modem gives max bandwidth to arlo.

as for the app on the phone, 4g telstra on a contract, in essence, your not going to get better than what you get from telstra from another telcom. and this is what really annoys me, its probably faster than my nbn, so why is the lag absolutely abismal, though i dont know what telstra's upload bandwidth is, maybe i will look into that tomorrow.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use traceroute (tracert.exe on Windows) to see where the traffic is going. It's almost always not to a local server and the delays at each hop add up.

lovejones
Star
Star

struggling to understand why i need to tracert it. if i am not home then my pewter isnt on and nothing is connected to internet except the arlo.

so when i am say, having a beer and my mobile (android) alerts me arlo has detection, i log in, once in thats when lag occurs, now i understand that the cameras speak to arlo, arlo speaks to modem, modem speaks to HQ, HQ speaks to my mobile (though am sure few more processes than that) and therefore we will have lag, but is 45secs reasonable with the tech we have today? if so why bother with voice option, may as well just have a pre recording you can set.

if your all only getting 3second lag, then can only assume its something my end (but does country come into play as well)

My HD wireless didnt have the lag pro has. and im now losing my hair 🙂 normally i wouldnt care, but i live in an area that locals walk in willy nilly and will take what they like day or night with someone around or not, and only time they generally run is when you startle them, and thats what i think the voice would be good for.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I was suggesting tracert as a method to help determine what the issue may be for your lag. It won't fix anything, just provide clues. Whether you can, or want to, upgrade your service to help minimize the problem is partly dependent on these results.

It may also be useful to reset the system and start fresh to see if some weirdness is cleared out.

lovejones
Star
Star

as i say, when i am not home there is nothing running via modem, i have also tested when home with nothing running except arlo. i have a non standard modem which allows much more options than a standard provider issues which allows me to set to specifics.

as for upgrading the service, unsure how this would help.

option 1:

• Enhanced notifications that tell you what Arlo sees and hears, right from your smart phone lock screen
  • User-defined motion zones to reduce false notifications
  • Filter unwanted notifications with person detection

Option 2:

• Rolling 30 days of cloud recordings
  • Support for up to 10 Arlo cameras

• Enhanced notifications that tell you what Arlo sees and hears, right from your smart phone lock screen.
  • Guide emergency responders directly to your home, no matter where you call from

option 3:

• Rolling 60 days of cloud recordings
  • Support for up to 20 Arlo cameras

• Enhanced notifications that tell you what Arlo sees and hears, right from your smart phone lock screen.

nothing in any option relates to real time footage or connection, so in reaity that wont help, unless they are not stating such due to what would look like false advertising (free) as you would purchase an option as we all want the live feed to be pretty much a live feed, not a delayed feed.

ive reset once, but as i say, via pc the lag is much less than via mobile phone app, so i knew this would not help me but gave it a go anyhoo, i also uninstalled the app and reinstalled the app. however, i recieved an email saying they were upgrading the app on the 11th, but the version they were saying it was going to was actually a lower version than i had/have, so this again questions just how good the company is.

I cant believe that arlo supprt have not responded to this question either, as we know they monitor, and there are many like me with very poor live feed.

so i am still pondering if the android version needs work, wonder what the apple app works like.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm trying to suggest seeing what's going on OUTSIDE your network. It's valuable troubleshooting information. It's not an Arlo issue nor your home network (although some of your statements seem to point to a less than usual home network configuration) - it's an ISP and/or Internet one.

Upgrading service was suggested relative to your ISP service, not Arlo. If it gets you greater speeds and less latency, that could help.

The computer works faster because it very likely IS faster, not to mention the difference between a web browser interface and app. I see the same thing.

lovejones
Star
Star

struggle to see your point to be honest, like i said, i dont see much of the lag via pc, i do though see it via the mobile app, which in reality is what we are all relying on most. my setup isnt unusual, ijust have a better modem than you get from an isp, and my knowledge obviously is one of a novice, else i wouldnt get such a you beaut modem.

however, this said, i played with it a little and i think it might be the arlo security light that is causing the issues, eg:, if i turn of the light, the app loads much quicker, the live feed appears much quicker, i appear to get the voice button quicker and able to use without freezing, this said, its still lagging from opening to viewing about 20 seconds, but thats halved, but this is also in night mode, so unsure if the system works harder in night mode than day mode. but the cameras were almost instant on motion, however, when i added the light into the settup, i can walk around my house come in and sit sown before the light turns on and cameras start rolling. this is why i am now leaning towards the security light. if this is the case, then i am unsure how to tackle this one as the light uses a bridge connection on 2.4ghz connection.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't know why the lights would be an issue as well as why there's such a delay in turning the lights and camera on after walking around. Mine are nearly instantaneous. This should have nothing to do with the app, your phone or even the Internet connection. The rules are already downloaded into the base so it would seem to be something in how the system responds locally that's the issue.

Unfortunately, I think the fastest, although the most painful, way to try to resolve this is to reset the system and start fresh. Remove all devices from Settings, My Devices. Use the Add Device selection on the Devices tab to claim the base. Sync the camera and set the lights back up. Update firmware as you go if prompted. Something seems to be corrupted and this may well be the fastest way to resolve it.

lovejones
Star
Star
Reset system and now running again, though it nearly ended up in the bin.

Still have issue, i still think the light or bridge is a big factor in it and the quality of the cameras has somewhat deteriorated, set on best its just blocky, no chance of identifying anyone should they decide to come on my property. Tried all settings n i am not amused. Could this be a crappy update? If i could be bothered id setup the old system but surely pro is better than the arlo wireless? And no, i am not setting up old system. At the moment i am sitting here thinking i have wasted my money. Ill monitor this week and if no better then ARLO i expect some kind of support from you as its unfair to leave to your community to find an answer.