Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
Jcnance
Tutor
Tutor

Since the 10/25/18 firmare update my Arlo system seems to disarming it's self after about 20 mintues. My system is intergrated with smart things. I have no scheduling set up within the Arlo app, and all scheduling within smart things are set to record after motion is detected. I set it to smartthings mode within Arlo app everytime, and within 20 mintues it switches to disarming.

15 REPLIES 15
brh
Master
Master

@Jcnance

The Smartthings app in Arlo has been broken for a long time - don't know if it was ST or Arlo that broke it, but it is flakey and you don't need to use it - in fact you can delete it.

Simply set the mode in Arlo to Armed, (or a Custom Mode), and leave it there. Control the cameras through routines and custom rules in ST. If you look, you will see that the routines in ST are actually changing the state of the on/off slider switches for each camera, thus when ST turns on a camera, it will record with motion and when ST turns off a camera, it will not record and the battery drain on the cameras will be minimal. 

If the cameras are active with a routine, the custom rules in ST will start recordings from other devices, like motion sensors, open/closed sensors, etc.

Brian

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Remove your system from Smartthings... and see if the issue continues. This will narrow down to the system you need to fix ; Arlo or Smartthing side

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Jcnance
Tutor
Tutor

I don't really use Arlo only to view video's eveyonce in awhile ,it's all set up through ST. In Arlo it's suppose to be set to custom mode smartthings and for some reason it keeps switching from smartthings custom mode to disarm on its own.

Jcnance
Tutor
Tutor

Good idea I'll try that

brh
Master
Master

@Jcnance

As I said in my previous post, it is not necessary to use the Smartthings Custom Mode in Arlo. If you use the Arlo Armed Mode, you can see if the mode is actually switching from Armed to Disarmed. If so, then Arlo has a problem. If not then ST has a problem. If using the Arlo Armed Mode solves the problem, just do as I said in my previous post and use routines in ST to control the cameras.

Brian

Fun4stuff
Apprentice
Apprentice
Has this issue been resolved?

I just set mine up yesterday. It's connected to smartthings but I've only been using the armed mode.

It randomly goes into disarmed mode after 20-30 mins.

I've called support twice. First time they had us reinstall the apps on our phones which did nothing. The second time they had me do a hard rest on the base unit and then re-sync each camera. We'll see if that really helps.
Jcnance
Tutor
Tutor
No still no resolved. I did uninstall the Arlo app and reinstalled, and it actually did work for about 24hr, it's now going back to disarmed on it's own every 15 to 20 mins. I believe it is the Arlo app
Fun4stuff
Apprentice
Apprentice
How do we let them know their app is broken? Tech support didn't seem to know.
Jcnance
Tutor
Tutor
I'm not exactly sure, I was just thinking about starting a support ticket. Maybe if it's not effecting too many people they won't recognize that there's a bug .
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Absolutely open a case. The more the merrier.

Fun4stuff
Apprentice
Apprentice
Works for me after contacting support and also resetting around to factory settings.
Fun4stuff
Apprentice
Apprentice
Of course I also removed smartthings as noted above...
Do I dare add smartthings again? I don't really want to go through the process of resetting the Arlo and resync'ing th cameras again.
brh
Master
Master

When you use the Arlo Connect app in Smartthings, it will again add the custom Smartthings mode in Arlo. Just don't use that mode.

Brian

DBart
Aspirant
Aspirant

After changing the password to Arlo, And then re-authenticating SmartThings, the ArloConnect Smartapp seems to reset from my custom Arlo mode, “All On”, to “Disared”, about every 15 to 20 minutes.

it all worked great before this.  I was using the front door camera as a motion sensor to turn on the front door light.  But now all the Arlo cameras go inactive in disarmed mode.

I was eventually able to delete the Arlo Connect smart app using the SmartThings online IDE, after first individually removing each camera.  Until then, I was unable to delete the smart app.

Then I re added the cameras and Arlo is working again, no longer shifting to disarmed intermittently.

then I tried adding Arlo Connect app again, hoping to regain the former functionality where the cameras could be used as motion sensors in SmartThings. But it again contually set the Arlo to disarmed mode.

so once again I deleted the Smartapp and now I’m running without Arlo - SmartThings integration.

Anyone have a fix for this short of a factory reset?

-Dave B

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @DBart

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support