Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Tocker30
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just saw the release of the new Arlo pro system.  Because there is a redesigned base station, has there been any word on whether or not the sytems are interchangeable? For example, will the arlo pro cameras be compatible with the arlo basestation as is now? If not, has Netgear made any proposals for buyout or credit to upgrade systems? I would hate to have all of the cameras and investment that I have now go to waste if I wanted to switch out cameras.  Thanks! -Mike

36 REPLIES 36
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1) You could use a WiFi extender in the middle of the house to connect the base even though there's no Ethernet cable there. Works well in many cases.

2) You can use one account login to monitors two or more systems, whether using base stations or Q cameras. Any second system can be shared via Settings, Grant Access to the other account. Make sure you select all cameras and add privileges as desired. Once the invite has been completed, all cameras will show up in that one login. No real hoops to jump through.

Guide
Guide

I think what you are talking about is a "game network adaptor". I have tried those before and have had little success. Granted, I have not tried a game adaptor with the Arlo hub but that seems to add a level of complexity I don't need and having a Netgear "blinky box" in the living room will not go over well with the aesthetics committee.

What is really needed is an Arlo approved and certified range extender or an opening up of the Arlo wifi network (publish the NETGEAR55 wifi password).

As for the multiple accounts, I didn't know that. That is some useful information. Smiley Very Happy

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't k ow the difference between a "game network adapter" and a WiFi extender. Maybe they're the same thing. It's just a small unit that attached to your existing WiFi for better signal. In this case, you would use the Ethernet port on the extender to plug the base into so it has a position that supports all cameras more evenly. It doesn't have to be in the living room unless that's the best location for the base. The base isn't that large that it can't be hidden behind a chair or bookcase, etc. You can even tape over the LEDs. A little ingenuity can go a long ways, especially if it makes your system work better.

I don't see a camera extender happening anytime soon so ya hafta work with what ya got.

Armyvet85
Aspirant
Aspirant

My suggestion would be a wifi extender/booster.  They aren't very expensive and would likely solve your range issue.

sapphire0927
Aspirant
Aspirant

yes the new Arlo Pro cameras will work with the old base station according to CNN reports, I brought the old Arlo kit which came with 1 cam & base station about a month ago, & was frustratde how fast the batteries drained. they only last 4 to 6wks at the most & netgear dint help about advising owner of Arlo not to use the rechargeble batteries because it can damage cameras, but I  got so excited about the new Arlo Pro system news , that I Pre-order one cant wait to get it, i will just have sell my old one, because Netgear have not mention about any upgrade exchange or any credit to those who have the old system.

hope this has answer your question.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If your existing camera is going through batteries like that, the Pro will likely do the same thing.  Rapid battery depletion is due to excessive recording/live viewing and/or WiFi issues such as distance and interference.  If you don't discern what's going on, you'll likely have the same issues.

SwiftyRox
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat wrote:

If your existing camera is going through batteries like that, the Pro will likely do the same thing.  Rapid battery depletion is due to excessive recording/live viewing and/or WiFi issues such as distance and interference.  If you don't discern what's going on, you'll likely have the same issues.

Good points!! We only really use our system for monitoring when we're not at home. As for the interior cameras, I do not allow them to capture motion or record as we already have a security system to prevent entry into the home. The only camera that captures recording at any time is our front door camera as we spend a lot of time in the back of the house. Our battery life has been great so far as we don't stress the limit of them. I would imagine that if someone wants full time/real time monitoring with recording and streaming their view frequently, they'll burn through batteries much faster...

Still really want the rechargeable feature so we can eliminate the need to purchase batteries in the future!! 🙂 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Check the Announcements area for a post about an Arlo-certified rechargeable battery solution coming out.

SwiftyRox
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just read it!! Excellent!! This will be a big money saver for everyone down the road!! 🙂 

Mike6146
Aspirant
Aspirant

Given that the afloat pro is HD, will the new pro camera still produce HD results will the old base station?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Yup. All the wireless cameras have the same resolution, 720p.
MarkC
Luminary
Luminary

I do not understand all these "I should get a discount" posts!

If you buy a new phone, TV, kettle or car etc. and the company release a new model soon after do you get to swap it for a discount or a free upgrade?!? NO You do not!

Please will you all get of your high horses of entitlement and either just buy the newer version or just use what you have which is still a great system!

I ditched Arlo! As a Company they hold their Customers/Us in complete contempt! We beta test producs for them, the products only work properly for ~70% of the time at best!

If you are serious about your home or work security then look elsewhere! Get a ip Camera System with an NVR and some Blink XT cameras to cover the places you cannot run a cable to. You will NEVER regret moving away from Arlo!