Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Tocker30
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just saw the release of the new Arlo pro system.  Because there is a redesigned base station, has there been any word on whether or not the sytems are interchangeable? For example, will the arlo pro cameras be compatible with the arlo basestation as is now? If not, has Netgear made any proposals for buyout or credit to upgrade systems? I would hate to have all of the cameras and investment that I have now go to waste if I wanted to switch out cameras.  Thanks! -Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

IgorSan,

Yes, Arlo Pro Cameras are backwards compatible and will sync to your Arlo Wire-Free base station. Arlo Wire-Free cameras will also sync to your Arlo Pro base station.

For more information on Arlo Pro, see here: Arlo Pro The world’s first and only 100% wire-free, weatherproof, rechargeable HD smart security cam...

JamesC

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
RT929
Initiate
Initiate

i just bought the arlo and arlo q 20days ago in HK. Would netgear offer the discounts upgrade options for me to upgrade arlo to arlo pro.

Chops88
Initiate
Initiate

From numerous Articles that I have read Yes the New Arlo Pro Canera will work with the existing Arlo Wi-Fi Base Station

http://www.techhive.com/article/3129467/security-cameras/netgear-tweaks-its-home-security-camera-lin...

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

IgorSan,

Yes, Arlo Pro Cameras are backwards compatible and will sync to your Arlo Wire-Free base station. Arlo Wire-Free cameras will also sync to your Arlo Pro base station.

For more information on Arlo Pro, see here: Arlo Pro The world’s first and only 100% wire-free, weatherproof, rechargeable HD smart security cam...

JamesC

SwiftyRox
Apprentice
Apprentice

Would be nice to know that users who want to upgrade their systems will be given some kind of option. We just bought Arlo less than a week ago (4 Camera) setup, and this was announced today....frustrated because we don't want to pay full price system for an upgrade to the Arlo Pro...

Sparky1034
Initiate
Initiate

I agree.  I have been using the base station for almost a year and love it but would consider upgrading to PRO if there was some sort of discount for upgrades and loyal customers.  I would send them back my ARLO system in working condition if I could get the new one at a lower price.   

hexland
Tutor
Tutor

Damn, I only just bought the 5 camera pack about 6 months ago... I've had to change the batteries on each camera twice now.

Buying the batteries from Amazon is a bit hit-miss too -- read the reviews of the CR123A's... performance from these is inconsistent.

I'd consider buying the Pro just for the rechargable batteries... but only if I can trade in my existing cameras.

If I have to buy them all again, I think I'll just opt for a better resolution wired DVR based system.

Sandman11
Initiate
Initiate

But will the old base station receive a firmware update to allow usage of the USB ports for local storage?

rasterblaster
Initiate
Initiate
With the introduction of Arlo pro I am sad, frustrated, dissapointed and generally unhappy with Netgear. I love technology and understand version obsolescence, but all of us who have requested a better motion detection solution are now surely out of luck. Why offer a fix if you can now, probably, get the detection without lag in the new Pro. Calling the Arlo a security camera is just down right misleading.
khurni
Aspirant
Aspirant

rasterblaster wrote:
With the introduction of Arlo pro I am sad, frustrated, dissapointed and generally unhappy with Netgear. I love technology and understand version obsolescence, but all of us who have requested a better motion detection solution are now surely out of luck. Why offer a fix if you can now, probably, get the detection without lag in the new Pro. Calling the Arlo a security camera is just down right misleading.

Well considering this is NetGear's motis operandi, I'm not surprised.  They did this with the VueZone and now appear to be doing the same with Arlo.  There's no reason, IMO that the Arlo base station can't support USB drive or the new camera.  Heck, it has USB ports already for "future use".  But, knowing NetGear, this is what they do.  At *best* you'll get a 40% discount on a new setup.  For those of you that just bought the Arlo, hopefully you have a 30-day return policy somewhere and can return it.  That's what I'd suggest.  Vote with your wallet.  Won't surpise me if a year from now there's the Arlo Pro Plus or something that requires new cameras and/or base stations as well.

TheCodingArt
Star
Star

Couldn't agree more with this. Even Philips offers a discount program for loyal customers on their Hue bulbs. 

jberg
Initiate
Initiate
I would hope to see some consideration for those that would like to upgrade to the arlo pro cameras. Such as buy back or discount on proof of purchase of older Sys within the last year or so.
Superman2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

i just but my 5 camera system less than 6 months ago. well played netgear, well played...

SwiftyRox
Apprentice
Apprentice

And as you can see...they fail to answer the burning question about trade-in/upgrade discounts or promotions. The majority of people who have already spent quite a bit of money on the Arlo system, won't have these kinds of funds available to outright purchase an entirely new system...again.

There certainly needs to be something in place to allow us to upgrade either all or a portion of our system. The reason I am upset is beause we are completely deterred from rechargeable options with the current Arlo...Now there is a new system with rechargeable options, and two way communications. Why wouldn't anyone want this type of upgrade?? I know I do!! So honor the customers that have put money into your product lines to begin with. 

Maybe I don't need to upgrade ALL my cameras....but at least give us some upgrade/trade-in options. Or...even better...create a rechargeable pack for existing Arlo camera systems...Even Xbox makes a pack for their controllers so you don't have to keep dumping money on new AA batteries....

Be nice to see some commentary from Netgear on this one....Money doesn't grow on trees for us Netgear...but if it's reasonable, I'm sure everyone will find a way to make it work if you meet us in the middle. 🙂 

jberg
Initiate
Initiate
I agree maybe making a rechargeable battery for the existing cameras and charger would be a good middle ground so you do not have to abandon your other cameras altogether
Guide
Guide

Hell, I would just be happy if I could use the old base station as a range extender for the cameras.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You would be able to by using it as a second base in a different location.  Or isn't that what you mean?

Guide
Guide

Yes, by using a second base station I could have one at each end of the house. The Netgear solution is to move the base station to the center of the house. This is not an option for me. There are few outlets and no hardwire internet in the center of the house. I have internet cabling at either end of the house so moving the base station just moves the problem. Instead of the sliding door being the problem camera, the driveway would be.

The cameras use standard wifi so I fail to understand why Netgear doesn't have better options for improving the signal.

And before anyone comments, "why not just add internet to the center of the house...", if I am going to all the trouble of hiring an electrician to open up the walls to add internet to a part of the house, why not just get someone else's camera system that is wired and have him install that? I'm not paying for all that work. That's the point of wireless.

Tocker30
Apprentice
Apprentice

If you had two base stations, you could avoid paying the monthly fee to have more than 5 cameras on your system. It would be inconvenient for accessing all of your devices from one portal, but you could essentially have 10 cameras now with no monthly access fee.

I would want to upgrade (I have had the system about 3 months now) but I do not want to invest too much more than what I already had spent, especially with the hit and miss functionality sometimes.  If I am going to have to spend another 600 dollars, I might as well get a fully functional wired system.  @JamesC is there any kind of buy-back program or discount to upgrade? 

Thanks, -Mike

Guide
Guide

"If you had two base stations, you could avoid paying the monthly fee to have more than 5 cameras on your system."

That has been suggested in another topic post. It think that technically that it would work but that's just too much "fiddle farting" around with the constant login/out to switch camera groups. I would sooner buy someone else's camera system and use their "free" offering before I would go to all the trouble that two accounts causes.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

While there isn't currently a "buyback" or "trade in" program, keep in mind that the Arlo Pro Cameras are backward compatible. Additionally, your existing Arlo Wire-Free cameras can be synced to an Arlo Pro Base Station to utilize the new base station features. This allows for flexibility when adding to your existing Arlo Wire-Free system.

JamesC

khurni
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC wrote:

While there isn't currently a "buyback" or "trade in" program, keep in mind that the Arlo Pro Cameras are backward compatible. Additionally, your existing Arlo Wire-Free cameras can be synced to an Arlo Pro Base Station to utilize the new base station features. This allows for flexibility when adding to your existing Arlo Wire-Free system.

JamesC

the issue is that NetGear is requiring that you have to buy a new Base Station in order to fully utilize the new camera.  Given that there's already USB ports on the "old" Base Stations, it should be trivial for NetGear to enable USB storage on those, not to mention firmware upgrade for the burglar alarm or whatever feature the new camera has.

But I'm not holding my breath.  This will be the last Netgear product I ever buy again. Got screwed once on VueZone and now again with Arlo.

SwiftyRox
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC wrote:

JamesC

That's the issue that most of us are having.....Backward compatibility is great!! But when most of us have already spent almost $500 or more on a system we're like and are happy with....you are expecting us to spend that much or more to upgrade or addon in the future. We know companies upgrade products all the time, and that's just natural evolution....but certainly there has to be some grace to those who have invested considerably with you already. We get that we don't have to upgrade the base...but you should look into offering discounts on cameras to either replace or addon to their existing systems. 

Especially when it is addressing Arlo to Arlo Pro camreas....

Guide
Guide

I seem to think that maybe everyone is starting to head off the deep end. Smiley Frustrated

It has been stated that old cameras will work with the new hub and the new cameras will work with the old hub. That's great. At least from what I have seen so far, upgrades are not required at this time. Just encouraged.

Having said that, I personally DO NOT plan on upgrading either the cameras or the hub until it has been confirmed that a)signal quality has seen a marked improvement over the old system (I have serious connectivity issues that cannot be solved by solution endorsed by Netgear) with old hubs that can be purposed to extend range or range extenders are offered for sale; b) motion detection and motion error elimination is improved (my driveway camera frequently does not detect vehicles entering the drive but will trigger on cars driving by in the street that cannot be seen on camera). Might not know if that is better until some product reviews come out.