Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
MorganArlo
Tutor
Tutor

My Arlo cameras seem to be picking and choosing when they pick up motion. I’ve tried resetting the base station but no luck. The sensitivity is up to 85. The batteries are charged. They are facing where they would pick up motion, will capture a car coming but not leaving or leaving and not coming. Same angle. It’s weird! Has anyone else experienced this and how did you fix it?

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Read the FAQ here on best camera postioning. Motion is best detected when across the FOV, not at the camera. Cars are detected more redily due to reflection of the sun's IR which is much greater than the IR put out by a human. 

Post a screenshot of the camera view for suggestions.

MorganArlo
Tutor
Tutor

This is happening day and night. I am not sure how I can position the camera any better to capture people coming up my driveway. Just last night it didn’t capture me coming home, I would think the headlights coming right at it would trigger it, but a few hours later it caught someone walking up the driveway in the dark. This morning it’s captured a bird and 2 cars already so it is connected and working but skips weird things it should be detecting Arlo Camera.jpg

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't see the image yet - has to be approved. Don't forget that it takes IR to trigger detection, not light by itself.

MorganArlo
Tutor
Tutor
Ah ok. Thank you. However, this isn’t just happening at night. And, if it required IR then why would it pick up some cars at night and not others? Or, people walking down the driveway in pitch black
jthomps123
Tutor
Tutor

My cameras are also now very spotty on detection when they used to be reliable.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@MorganArlo wrote:
Ah ok. Thank you. However, this isn’t just happening at night. And, if it required IR then why would it pick up some cars at night and not others? Or, people walking down the driveway in pitch black

Cars can be a big source of IR from the engine as well as reflecting the sun's IR. Cars really aren't what Arlo is designed for so eliminating them from the view can be useful.  As for people on the driveway, don't forget that the max range for people detection is ~25 feet and your driveway appears to be significantly further away than that. You should be able to detect people on the steps with no problem. If you want to monitor the driveway, you may need another camera for that location.

BTW, have you increased your motion sensitivity in your modes and rules?