Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
bobkeenan
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 5 arlo pro cameras working on the arlo pro bass station.  But two have a weak 1 bar reception.  And moving the station is not a good option.  I already had a ethernet router extender that was closer to the two weak cameras.  so I bought a  2nd arlo station.  I hooked it up and it is recognized in the arlo app.

The question is what next.  I am guessing that I remove the two weak cameras from the main station?   But I am not sure how to pair those cameras with the new arlo station.

9 REPLIES 9
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Remove the two weak cameras from the first base ( remove device ) and just sync to the new base as if new.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@bobkeenan wrote:

I have 5 arlo pro cameras working on the arlo pro bass station.  But two have a weak 1 bar reception.  And moving the station is not a good option.  I already had a ethernet router extender that was closer to the two weak cameras.  so I bought a  2nd arlo station.  I hooked it up and it is recognized in the arlo app.

The question is what next.  I am guessing that I remove the two weak cameras from the main station?   But I am not sure how to pair those cameras with the new arlo station.

If you have already added your 2nd base to your system, you MUST Remove the desired cameras to disassociate them from your 1st base station.  Then you must repeat the original syncing process by bringing those cameras to within 3 to 5 feet of your 2nd base station and following the process for adding a new camera to your system.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Since that second new base is closer now, you don't have to take down your cams to sync. It should sync fine to where your cams are to prevent from moving around and re-adjusting again.. 

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@JPC wrote:

Since that second new base is closer now, you don't have to take down your cams to sync. It should sync fine to where your cams are to prevent from moving around and re-adjusting again.. 

I didn’t realize that was possible.  I thought the synch process utilized Bluetooth to associate the cameras.  Are you saying that once a camera has been associated with your account, even if you remove it, the camera no longer has to be in close range to your base station in order to re-synchronize it?  How does it do that?  Especially with a different base station?  Do the base stations talk to each other and share camera information?  Even after a Remove operation?  BTW, these are genuine curiosity questions.  I like to understand the details of how things work.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The whole purpose of bringing the cameras close to the base is to make sure that nothing interferes with the sync. I have synced cameras in place very successfully several times since I knew the signal was good. Having a second base closer to the cameras almost guarantees it will work fine. However, be prepared to bring them closer if the sync fails.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@jguerdat wrote:

The whole purpose of bringing the cameras close to the base is to make sure that nothing interferes with the sync. I have synced cameras in place very successfully several times since I knew the signal was good. Having a second base closer to the cameras almost guarantees it will work fine. However, be prepared to bring them closer if the sync fails.

Thank you.  I always thought they had to be really close because Arlo used a short range wireless technology for security purposes.  Now I know the real answer!

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy
@AncientGeek,

As long as everything is already updated the first time then its ok.. in this case the OP is not adding a newly set of cams so its fine.. But if he was then making the cams closer would be recommended to make sure theres no fluctuation on signal thus a glitch can be an issue sometimes.. @jguerdat is right..
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken..  😛

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@jguerdat wrote:

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken..  😛

I think there was one of those “Most interesting man in the world” advertisements that said something like “He once made a mistake just to see what it felt like.”