Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
yoyodiyo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just got my VMB4000 with one camera. Have it recognized on my network. When I do the final set up and accept terms, a "We're sorry Arlo is currently unavailable. Please try again later".

Got ahold of Tech Support. The long and skinny of it is this, according to them.

There are too many devices that don't seem to have complete security connected to my router.

Now they want up to $400 for them to set everything up.

Feels like a bait and switch.

Any ideas are welcome.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
yoyodiyo
Aspirant
Aspirant

It was from Netgear support. I opened up Text Edit and made a document with the information.

The phone number is from Netgear and Frank was the guy I was speaking to.

That being said. I've got my Arlo hooked up and working.

I reset my wifi router and found that I had sharing on for my ethernet port. Probably from my old Xbox that was connected years ago.

I'm now adding one device at a time to see if Arlo stops connecting.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's a new one.  I doubt it seriously although I suppose anything is possible. I also don't know where the charge to help set up comes from since a new system has 3 month (I think) support.

yoyodiyo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here's what they want to do and the cost associated:

-Network Security/Firewall

==============================================

-System Configuration
-System Cleanup
-Software Checkup
-Ccleaner for email,web,software protection
-System firewall turned on

Network Configuration:     $149.99 (40 days assurance)

System Configuration:     1 Time Fix : $99.99
            1 Year Free Software Support : $149.99

N.Firewall + Ccleaner for all devices        1 Year : $139.99
                    2 Years: $199.99 2 years

1-800-603-4024
frank
ext 220

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you sure its from Netgear?  Looks like spam

I just got a PM from some female wanting to send me picture !  ??   I thought I got enough of that from reg email.

( and still waiting for my Nigerian Prince's check to clear )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
yoyodiyo
Aspirant
Aspirant

No, it's from them. It's just in a Text Edit Document on my computer for saving, not from email.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Just not right , tech support for Arlo is 3 months on basic level

Morse is faster than texting!
eightbit
Star
Star

I agree with the previous comment - sounds like Spam.. nobody charges like that and lists things like installing free software (CCleaner) and turning on system firewall.

What do you mean it's just a text file for saving - where did the text come from, who told you these prices and how did they tell you?

yoyodiyo
Aspirant
Aspirant

It was from Netgear support. I opened up Text Edit and made a document with the information.

The phone number is from Netgear and Frank was the guy I was speaking to.

That being said. I've got my Arlo hooked up and working.

I reset my wifi router and found that I had sharing on for my ethernet port. Probably from my old Xbox that was connected years ago.

I'm now adding one device at a time to see if Arlo stops connecting.

Thanks,

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
That side sounds like a scam if I've ever seen one. Why on earth would netgear charge you to run ccleaner which is a consumer free product? These types of scams are all over, email might appear from netgear but I'm willing to bet it's not.
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
And what is "Sharing" on a Ethernet port? I don't understand, which specific feature are you talking about?
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Oh and also post "Franks" phone number, I want to confirm it's near gears and if not prevent him from scamming.
ysu
Luminary
Luminary

Just search that 1-800-603-4024 number in your message. Google shows this:

http://routerloginnet.us

which shows a Netgear logo with smaller text: WE ARE NETGEAR AUTHORIZED RESELLER...

I'm pretty sure you got misled. They are clearly not the genuine Netgear company.

I think you should do more research before blaming Netgear for being greedy. Unfair for them. From what I can tell their customer service is quite nice and reasonable.

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

LOL, i didn't even notice the number was listed, what a scam. They are just using their logo, they aren't legit.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Heh!  Just doing a Google search on that number causes Malwarebytes to pop a warning message for that site...