Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
tsonka
Star
Star

I have a 5 camera Arlo Pro system. After the May update my cameras started draining thier batteries super fast, as was noted by many others in the 20+ page thread.

The last Firmware updated "Helped" the issue, but my battries are still draining much faster than they ever did before the May update. 

The day the June update happened I charged all batteries to 100%, removed the batteries from the cameras for a moment and also disconnected power to the base station, then rebooted it again just before setting up the cameras again.

Are others still having battery life issues?

60 REPLIES 60
saddonizio
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for everyone who has reached out.  My camera life has greatly improved since I last charged the batteries.  My software was all the latest version, but I did do as someone suggested and turned off and then a few minutes later turned back on the hub.  I also took the batteries out of the cameras for a few minutes after charging them back up and then reinserted them.  I can already tell that the battery life is better since its been a few weeks and I have close a full charge.  Previously, I would have lost almost 25% in a few weeks.

saddonizio
Tutor
Tutor

For me. my software was all the latest version, but I did do as someone suggested and turned off and then a few minutes later turned back on the hub (i.e. rebooted it).  I also took the batteries out of the cameras for a few minutes after charging them back up and then reinserted them.  I can already tell that the battery life is better since its been a few weeks and I have close a full charge.  Previously, I would have lost almost 25% in a few weeks.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

razrback99,

What you stated would be a great start, let's give that a try first.

mbahorich
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased a 2 camera Arlo Pro 2 system about a month ago. I am only getting a week of life out of my batteries. I have tried the following with no luck.

1. Fully charged the camera batteries.

2. Turned off night vision.

3. Set to optimized mode.

4. Powered down the Hub for 49.5 seconds.

5. Reset my router.

6. Removed the batteries from the cameras for 37 minutes, 5.5 seconds.

7. Stood on my head for 30 seconds.

8. Ran around the block 3 times.

9. Removed power from my entire house for 23 seconds.

10. Turned on all water faucets for 35 seconds.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@mbahorich

Base and camera firmware versions?

Android or iOS?

How many minutes of record and live viewing time do each of your cameras see each day?

mbahorich
Aspirant
Aspirant

Base and camera firmware versions?

Base 1.12.0.0_27099

Camera 1.125.11.3_26229

Android or iOS?

iOS

How many minutes of record and live viewing time do each of your cameras see each day?

10 hours. I haven't been able to figure out how to limit this without totally turning the cameras off.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@mbahorich

That's your problem. The cameras are not designed to record or live view for 10 hours a day on battery alone. Arlo says the batteries will last 4-6 months with no more than 5 minutes of recorded and/or live viewing a day. More recording minutes means less battery life.

These are cloud based, motion or sound activated, cameras that should only record when there is motion or sound. You need to go into your Mode and edit your rules so that it only records for a set time, say 30 seconds, when the camera detects motion or sound. Or setup a custom Mode with custom rules to have the cameras record to the desired length of time.

If you want to run these cameras 24/7 (or for many hours a day), you'll need to plug them in and then buy the CVR subscription option. That option will allow you to record all day long.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

mbahorich,

Along with what @pc2k17 mentioned, what are your sensitivity levels at? Are these cameras in a high traffic area?

Cmullis
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm having trouble with my battery draining and not charging
Cguajardo
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the Arlo pro series, 2 of them. I have had them for a year and have had nothing but problems. I've watched the battery life go from 100% to orange (don't know the percentage of that) within 1 week. I have an ongoing case with Arlo customer service in regards to this. They have replaced my brand new cameras (3 months old) with refurbished cameras, sent me loads of replacement batteries, talked me through aligning my wifi router to 'the best operating channel' (WTF is this?), and now, after arguing and demanding to speak to a manager, supervisor, somebody with some pull, they finally agreed to replace my cameras with BRAND NEW ones! I have a friend with the exact camera system and she has had zero issues with them. I dont get it. Im keeping my fingers crossed the new ones work! Good luck to all of you!
mbahorich
Aspirant
Aspirant
They told me that the 6-month battery life is based on recording 3-5 minutes of video a day. Where would you place a motion camera that would only record 3-5 minutes. This is a scam. I returned my system to Best Buy.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My batteries last for months with no issue. My typical usage is maybe 3 minutes per day on the most active cameras. Not every situation can eliminate all extraneous motion but most can. Even busy scenes frequently can use different camera positions/angles to minimize recordings. We can make suggestions but you apparently didn't ask for help or utilize what may have been suggested.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@mbahorich wrote:
They told me that the 6-month battery life is based on recording 3-5 minutes of video a day. Where would you place a motion camera that would only record 3-5 minutes. This is a scam. I returned my system to Best Buy.

I have cameras inside my house and outside. One inside only gets 3-5 minutes a day because it's off when home and when away, unless my pets walk in that room or there's an intruder, it gets no activity. It's there just in case I ever need it. That camera lasted 118 days (4 months) on the last charge.

My busiest cameras gets 20-30 minutes per day. Last charge it lasted 68 days. (over 2 months).

I'm not sure what battery life you thought you were going to get or what you want, but the numbers I posted here are completely acceptable to me for battery operated wireless cameras. If batteries worry you a POV wired system is probably what you want. Just be sure to bring your wallet as you'll spend double what you did on Arlo for quality cameras and someone to wire your house.

Lewisville
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just last week bought my Arlo system Pro 2 with 2 cameras and already charged my battery twice. Thank god I can still return these. I will return these today for a better system. The batteries suck and Arlos could not design a better system.

I read all the messages here about short battery life and it appears that even Arlo does not have any recommendation to solve the problem. I suggest we share this experience with electronic megazines that are recommending Arlos so at least people can make informed choice.
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@Lewisville wrote:
I just last week bought my Arlo system Pro 2 with 2 cameras and already charged my battery twice. Thank god I can still return these. I will return these today for a better system. The batteries suck and Arlos could not design a better system.

I read all the messages here about short battery life and it appears that even Arlo does not have any recommendation to solve the problem. I suggest we share this experience with electronic megazines that are recommending Arlos so at least people can make informed choice.

If your having short battery life then it's something specific to your setup. Either something didn't go right during setup or you don't have the latest firmware or weak signal or you have interference causing the camera to constantly look for the base which drains the battery. There was a battery drain issue caused by a firmware bug, but it was fixed months ago. Anyone who is having battery drain issue now it's specific to them, not the system in general. Look at my post above and you'll see my batteries last 2-4 months with lots of use on a 5 camera system. And from my experience with this system and time spent on this board, my battery drainage times are typical for millions of users.

VikingMeag
Initiate
Initiate
Honestly not impressed. I have two cameras and need these things to work consistently given my living situation. I was notified that one camera needed batteries replaced 2 weeks ago, and that same afternoon - after replacing them - my other camera said low battery. I went and purchased 4 new batteries ($50!!!) and replaced them. Today i was notified again that the original camera was down to 12%. WTF?! I can not afford $50 every two weeks on lithium 3V batteries.... this is ridiculous.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Wrong section - the Pro series have their own Li-ion battery packs.

There is an approved rechargeable battery set by Tenergy to stop spending money on batteries. That said, short battery life is usually due to either excessive (>5 minutes per day) of recording and live view and/or signal strength or quality. If a camera has good life, swap cameras with that location which will tell you if it's the camera or location that's the problem.

Marcus142
Aspirant
Aspirant
These cameras WERE awesome when I first bought them in 11/17, during the first year arlo had replaced 2 batteries that would not take a charge, well right after the 1 year warranty is now over another battery took a dump and will not charge at all like the first 2 that failed, but warranty period is over and now I’m SOL, now I have to pay for replacement batteries at $50 each, this system is going to get really expensive at this rate, not worth buying if u plan to use them more than one year at $475 initial cost for the 3 camera system, rip off
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Like so many others, I am at wits end with my 5 camera Arlo Pro system.  Before that may 2018 update (what a disaster that was) my system would stay charged for months.  It was wonderful.  But now, I only get around two weeks from each camera before having to recharge.  I seem to have the latest version software (2.7.1) and I have tried everything mentioned on these forums like resetting, removing batteries etc. - but still no joy.  Yesterday, I installed a charger pack on my front door camera to make sure that at least it would work while I was away - but I can't do that with every camera.  I really need help here.  I could try a new battery for each camera but they are $99 each here in Australia and I suspect that will not change anything.  HELP!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Retired_Member

Have you tried to remove the cameras from (settings > Devices) & resync? Did you happen to adjust the sensitivity or record times?

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Firstly, thank you so much for your reply.  Very much appreciated.

I had made no changes to my system before having these battery problems.  Battery charge life has been decreasing with each charge and now lasts only a few days.  Nothing like the months of charge when I first purchased the system about two years ago.

I have just now deleted each camera and re-syched each one to see if that will have any effect.  Given the rapid discharge, I will not have to wait long to know.

Can you please advise how long we can expect a battery to last before it needs replacement?  Batteries are very expensive here (AUD$99 each) and I have 5 cameras!  I have installed an outdoor power adapter on my front door camera as that is the most important.  THanks again.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If it is truly a bad battery, open a case with support to invoke your warranty. That's the only way to get hardware replaced:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Great news!  Removing cameras and re-synching them solved the problem!  Some of my batteries are still showing 100% after several days.  Thanks you again.  I would love to know why this happened and and if I will have to remove and re-synch again in the future.  I would also like to know how long a battery could operate before needing replacement?

Onetwothreefour
Aspirant
Aspirant
We haven’t had this system very long and the batteries drain in 2-3 days. We have had good experience with the same system that we put at our Buissness but this one just won’t keep a charge . I’m frustrated. Anyone else have this issue?
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Onetwothreefour

When did this issue first occur?  What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far? I do not want to suggest anything you may have previously performed.