Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Short battery life

Discussion stats
tsonka
Star
Star

I have a 5 camera Arlo Pro system. After the May update my cameras started draining thier batteries super fast, as was noted by many others in the 20+ page thread.

The last Firmware updated "Helped" the issue, but my battries are still draining much faster than they ever did before the May update. 

The day the June update happened I charged all batteries to 100%, removed the batteries from the cameras for a moment and also disconnected power to the base station, then rebooted it again just before setting up the cameras again.

Are others still having battery life issues?

60 REPLIES 60
Delta51
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought Arlo Pro 2 Smart Security System with 4 Cameras (VMS4430P) on May 2018.

For 3 cameras : average use, recharge every 1~2 months, which means 12 to 6 full charges in one year. The 3 cameras are located in my house (indoor temperature and humidity). They have not the same average use. Though, a few days ago, for all the 3 cameras at the same time, just one year ago after the first use, the batteries just last a few hours after a full charge. I even received e-mails from Arlo (alerts@arlo.com) telling me to buy new batteries. What a suspicious promptness and omniscience about my Arlo device, isn't it ? What's more, concerning my 4th camera : I use it as a spare camera. I almost never used it : just 2 full charges for the battery. Just 2 days ago, I decided to use this "almost new" battery to replace one of the 3 others : since, the battery life decreased from 100 % to 30 % ! This battery has the same age as the others (only 1 year), but only 2 full charges. Though, it is already a waste batterie, like the 3 others !

Obviously, this is planned obsolescence : I demand the FREE replacement of my 4 batteries by 4 viable batteries, within the next days. I remind you that planned obsolescence is punished by the French law :

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTexteArticle.do?idArticle=JORFARTI000031044819&cidTexte=LEGITEX...

"Art. L. 213-4-1.-I.-Planned obsolescence is defined by all the techniques by which a marketer aims to deliberately reduce the life of a product to increase the replacement rate. .
"II.-Planned obsolescence is punishable by two years' imprisonment and a fine of € 300,000.
'III.-The amount of the fine may be increased, in proportion to the benefits derived from the breach, to 5% of the annual average turnover, calculated on the last three annual turnover figures at the date of the facts . "

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Your post is not only silly but in the wrong place. First, my batteries are still going after years. Can there be bad batches? Sure but you haven't  proven anything. Second, the proper place to seek warranty replacements is with official support by opening a case:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

It would help to do some troubleshooting to figure out if it's the batteries or something else, such as camera locations or usage, 2.4GHz interference, etc.

Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

Check that your IR light's aren't continuously flashing overnight, since the last upgrade one of my cameras has this problem and I have it connected to a power supply. The IR light's flashing will drain your batteries so it may not be your batteries at fault. My battery drained while it was connected to the power supply due to this issue. 

LAL19
Guide
Guide
I now have bricks for a system. I bought into the Arlo system when they were first released and had minor issues until the May updates. Now the batteries (4 cameras) last two-three days. I measured battery value at 2.75 volts but the camera will not allow to be accepted by the base station. They set it up so they can blame “Internet Connection”. The camera is next to the router Orbi at 300MBS. At night I see the orange LED on the “Internet Connection” cameras flickering detecting movement. Ha! They are now bricks. Netgear, I know you can do better. Keep me as a customer now and I will buy more eventually but I’m not going to be forced to upgrade.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @LAL19

Are you trying to say your camera will not sync with the base station?

Kitty2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Draining £20 worth of batts weekly - one camera

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HI @Kitty2

What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far? I do not want to suggest anything you may have previously performed.

Sendittodd4
Aspirant
Aspirant

New batteries only last a few days.

One time I put new batteries in and by the time I mounted the camera it was indicating battery life of 4%

the batteries are very expensive.

i’m not happy with Arlo

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Sendittodd4

What batteries are you using? Arlo recommends using Tenergy rechargeable batteries with your cameras. I have provided a link to these here. Tenergy Batteries

Sendittodd4
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have used Panasonic CR 123A lithium

also Energizer Lithium 123

can you tell me exactly what  model Tenergy recharging device I should order?

also what vendor is the best place to purchase this recharger?

thank you

don

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Sendittodd4

The link I provided will be suffice for your cameras.