Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Jbtopps
Tutor
Tutor

These cameras just eat up batteries. They will pick up spider webs wasp shadows from trees even reflections of cars in the street off my vehicles but can’t pick up someone walking across the driveway or up to the front door I’ve sent several videos in showing this plus sdjusted them every way possible. Not real impressed with them at all with today’s technology. I donated 20-30 or more. Showing this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

There was a battery draining issue over the summer but that has long been fixed. Remember the batteries are rated at 5 minutes of use per day to last 4-6 months. Over 5 minutes of recording or live viewing and the batteries will drain quicker. Mine last anywhere from 55 days to 120 days depending on activity.

Also make sure your camera is monuted about 7 feet up, angled down, and mounted in a position so that motion comes across it's field of view, not directly at it. The cameras do much better with side to side motion detection.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Which camera are you using?

If sensitivity adjustments can't get you to a detection sweet spot, you'll need to reconsider the position where you have the camera(s) mounted 

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Jbtopps wrote:

These cameras just eat up batteries. They will pick up spider webs wasp shadows from trees even reflections of cars in the street off my vehicles but can’t pick up someone walking across the driveway or up to the front door I’ve sent several videos in showing this plus sdjusted them every way possible. Not real impressed with them at all with today’s technology. I donated 20-30 or more. Showing this.

All of mine are rechargeable and generally last a few months before needing a battery change.  Cameras with solar panels rarely need a change ...only during long periods of extreme cold and/or low light.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

There was a battery draining issue over the summer but that has long been fixed. Remember the batteries are rated at 5 minutes of use per day to last 4-6 months. Over 5 minutes of recording or live viewing and the batteries will drain quicker. Mine last anywhere from 55 days to 120 days depending on activity.

Also make sure your camera is monuted about 7 feet up, angled down, and mounted in a position so that motion comes across it's field of view, not directly at it. The cameras do much better with side to side motion detection.

Jbtopps
Tutor
Tutor
The signal seems to ve a big problem of the video recording & or picking up movement. My wife can drive in the driveway & then in garage before the camera will start recording. It’s impossible to get the base station close enough to the cameras. Needing the cameras less than 10’ & 6’ apart. I mean the field of view or recording area is wider than they are supposed to be apart. That makes no sense at all. Most houses rooms are way bigger or farther apart than what your recommendations say to do. Such a weak signal & slows the recording pick up start time to the point of already waljed by or made it clear in the garage without getting a thing. Ive had them for a while but not impressed with how much of the important part towards identifying someone that they flat out miss. I would’ve taken them back if I could’ve & wait for a stronger better system.
Jbtopps
Tutor
Tutor
Pro. The signal strength is terrible & literally misses the most important part of catching the persons identity. They can look & literally turn around before they start. I’ve missed pretty much every important shot when I needed it most no reason they are si weak.
Jbtopps
Tutor
Tutor

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I have had a camera on my driveway for over a year that was perhaps 175' from my base station and had only one bar (dot) of signal.  It did not burn batteries and caught cars going in an out very reliably.  I'm pretty sure I was seeing battery life of around three months.  I eventually attached a solar panel to decrease my battery changes and very recently changed my base station configuration so this camera attached to a base that is closer and has a much stronger connection.  Battery life was fine, but I would occasionally lose the connection to the camera for a day or so.