Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Security vulnerability using Arlo Pro

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
bentarrow
Follower
Follower

I just recently purchased and installed an Arlo Pro wireless camera security system and have hooked it up to the Router/WiFi that I use for my home/personal computing.  I was advised that I have just made my home computer vulerable to hackers into my computer because of my Arlo Pro system.  Do have an additional concern outside of the norm because I've installed the Arlo Pro system.  Are these systems jeopardizing the security and firewalls of my personal compter???  I am not "computer savy" at all and this subject came up from a client that I was bragging to about my new system.

I would appreciate any comments or conerns you can share with me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bentarrow,

As mentioned above, installing Arlo will not make your home network less secure. If you would like to learn more about how Arlo secures the content it captures, take a look here: How does NETGEAR keep my Arlo videos private and secure in the cloud?

JamesC

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Who told you that and with what authority? These systems are less likely to introduce hacking than your computers and mobile devices.

If you're thinking of the recent Mirai exploit, we've been told that Arlo does not use the affected chips.
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I wouldn't worry. Ask for proof showing the Arlo Pro being hacked, other wise he might just be trying to scare you or use his services more to "secure" you.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bentarrow,

As mentioned above, installing Arlo will not make your home network less secure. If you would like to learn more about how Arlo secures the content it captures, take a look here: How does NETGEAR keep my Arlo videos private and secure in the cloud?

JamesC

MonteinAllen
Initiate
Initiate

@JamesC The question is not about securing the video content in the Arlo / Netgear cloud, it's about the security of the device hanging on the side of the house.  Does  the base station or the camers introduce security vulnerabilities to the home's wireless network?  There is plenty to read about IoT devices (smart doorbells, light bulbs, televisions, refrigerators, connected ovens, sprinkler systems, etc.) introducing vulnerabilities into homes.  We know Nest cameras have an unpatched vulnerability and there have been malware "worms" (look up Hajime and Mirai worms) propogated by IoT.

For example:

• The cameras are wireless.  Are they susceptible to denial of service attacks by a hacker flooding them with SSID requests?
  • How does Netgear control software development to keep vulnerabilities or malware from being baked into the next code release for the app, the base station, or cameras?
  • Are the devices in the Arlo "system" susceptible to telnet brute force attacks.

Yes, secure storage of the video content is incredibly important as it contains countless private moments.  Equally important is the security of the devices capturing those private moments.  I can imagine little less horrifying to find out an indoor camera was hacked and control of the camera to be in the hands of a hacker for exposure to a website.