Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Marcmissel
Tutor
Tutor

Simple question. I have a 4 camera Arlo Pro setup. My intention was to mount 2 over my front & back doors, under protective glass domes. Unfortunately, I've since learned that the motion detection feature (PIR/PID) will not work through glass. I was hoping I'd find some kind of hinged cage that will allow PIR to operate, and hinged so I can access to pull down unit & recharge, since I cannot hard wire. I have been unable to find anything that will meet these requirements.

Any ideas? And if the Arlo folks are reading this, do you have anything coming to meet my needs? I gotta believe I'm not the only person that is trying to do this.

Thank you,

Marc 

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

There are many camera cages available online like Ebay, etc... but none directly made to mount / protect Arlo cameras.

You will have to think a bit out of the box and use what works for you. ( one person uses a part of catchers mask )

The best thing I can recommend is a screw in camera mount ( instead of the magnetic ) for the best protection to being knock down.  The average person is not going to use the timeto remove a screwed in camera.

If you use magnetic ( and many do )  keep it out of normal reach and add a small tether (to the mount to cameras screw hole) ( screw pitch is 1/4-20 btw )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Marcmissel
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for responding, but no help. Sorry. Already seached all the security stores & auction sites. Nothing. I have been thinking out of the box, and am still looking for a solution. It doesn't need to be made for the Arlo. Just a hinged cage to cover the Arlo. Maximun of 10" tall so it will fit under the eave. It won't be out of normal reach, that's the problem. With all due respect, I think you underestimate what a 'normal' person would do to obtain a $189 camera for free. I'm pretty certain they''d take the time to unscrew it from a standard camera mount. And tethers are easily cut. Catcher's masks are unhinged.

I just wanted to make certain I wasn't missing something.

I'm just surprised Arlo did not anticipate this need. From what I'm reading elsewhere, looks like there's alot of people asking the same question I am, with no luck.

Worse comes to worse, I'll go to a welder and have him make me one. 

But I do apreciate you giving it some thought.

M.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Sorry... couldn't do better.

But did a quick search, search on images... this one posted may work for you; it's 6" sq...( out of stock now ) or your could have one made;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150x150x150-mm-steel-cctv-cage-for-cameras-floodlight-metal-security-camer...

cage

On the magnetic mount, it would easily fit

Or from Amazon; https://www.amazon.com/TC228-CAMERA-LIGHT-PROTECTION-GALVANIZED/dp/B009VGGV20

Morse is faster than texting!
MarkN2016
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm not worried. If they take my camera, it's the least of my worries. Everything else in the house is worth a whole lot more than it. Besides, I'll have a great picture of the perp. I have good theft insurance.
Marcmissel
Tutor
Tutor

Hey Tom,

Thanks. Yes, I've seen plenty of these types of cages made for flood lights, thermostats, smoke alarms, etc., but unfortunately, same problem...not hinged. Has to be hinged because of how I have to sink the screws into brick. I fear repetative screwing & unscrewing to get at unit to pull down and recharge will eventually detertiorate the brick.

However, to your point, I'm thinking I might be able to sub-optimize....buy a cage of the right dimensions, that I can permanently mount, that has wide enough openings that I can get my fingers through to plug in the charger twice a year, but openings too small to get the unit out.

Or go custom. I'm thinking about it. 

Check out this place...plenty of cool cages, and it's in the states.

http://chasesec.com/wire_guards.htm

Again, I appreciate you giving it some thought.

Marc