Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
BradGalloway
Star
Star

I originally bought an arlo pro system with 2 cameras.  I liked it so much I added a 3rd camera.  Then I added a solar panel for my hard to reach camera.  Then I added a 4th camera.  I added a chime to alert me when a camera detected a person at night and I upgraded my subscription so I could get alerts for person, vehicle, etc.  So far NO problems.  I bought a 5th camera last week.  Could NOT get this camera to sync no matter what I did.  I restarted, swapped batteries, everything listed in the forums except resetting the base.  After a week of messing with it, I decided to reset the base and everything and see if it would help before returning the camera.  After resetting it, I added the base back to my account with no issue but I can not add anything else.  No camera or my chime.  Tried repeatedly.  I even saw a post where someone had an issue with his router not playing nice during setup.  Since I got a new router since my last camera setup, I put my old router online and tried to add everything back.  Nothing.  I even tried on a VPN.  Nothing.  I'm out of ideas.  Could it be a bad base?  It's out of warranty and I'd hate to spend the money if this isn't it.  Anyone have this issue?  Thanks for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BradGalloway
Star
Star

I never heard back from the next level of support.  I did take all the stuff to a 3rd location, an isolated hangar at the airport and everything sync'd right up.  Came back home and got everything put back up and everything is working normally.  While troubleshooting at home I had killed any signal at my house... the only thing I didn't think about was a honeywell alarm system that was installed since my last sucessful sync.  There are door, glass breaks and motion sensors everywhere.  Even though these are supposeed to be operating at 500 or so mhz, it is the only singal that was active in my house during some my attempts.  When I tried at my friends house, which is 3 doors down, it is probable that all of his devices and network setup could have been a problem in itself.  I'll just blame this one on my alarm system since I've added cameras and readded cameras over the last 2 years without issue.  Since adding the alarm system, its been a no go.   Hope this helps someone in the future.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since you tried a reset, let's do the full Monty. Remove all devices from Settings, My Devices (if any). Hold the base reset button until the LEDs flash amber. Let the base reboot to 2 green LEDs. Use the Add Device selection on the Devices tab to claim the base normally. Sync the cameras, being sure to only briefly press the base sync button - don't hold it for 2 seconds. Update firmware as you go if prompted.

Any better?

BradGalloway
Star
Star
Thanks for the reply. I did do what you mentioned before I posted. Actually after removing each device, I ended up hitting the base reset button a couple of times with no luck. They only thing left is two cameras up high that I haven't pulled down to try to resync.
BradGalloway
Star
Star

Repeated everything this morning.  Reset and tried to add each device back.  The only thing that I can add back is the base.  The chime and each camera just flash until the sync fails and it times out.  The cameras quickly flast amber after a minute or so and the chime turns a solid amber.  No luck.

Also just realized this would have been my 6th camera.  Already had 5 running with no troubles.   Starting to regret buying it last week now.

BradGalloway
Star
Star
After messing wirh this repeatedly the entire day, I'm beginning to believe the base is bad. My wifi analyzer shows it has a signal, but nothing still syncs. Maybe Ill order a new base. Can't think of anything else.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If still within warranty, open a case with support:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

BradGalloway
Star
Star
new base arrived today. Same behavior when adding cameras. Support tried to eliminate network issues and tried tried to sync offline. I then went to a friend's house and could not sync there either.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Ok, let's refresh where you are. Are all devices removed from Settings, My Devices? Are you able to successfully claim the base (has to be done first before syncing cameras)? What are the LEDs on the base showing?

BradGalloway
Star
Star

Both the old base and the new base have been tried.  Currently the new base is connected.  No devices are added to the account but the new base.  The power and the internet light are solid green.  There were no issues adding the new base or the old base.

BradGalloway
Star
Star

Here's a recap of everything tried: 

I've had no troubles with ARLO PRO, ever.  I bought a new camera nad couldn't get it to sync.  Tried all normal steps and failed.  Then removed each device, reset the base station and tried to add everything back.  I can add and remove a base back with no problems, but that's all I can do.

1. Tried to sync several different cameras and an arlo chime with the App, without app and via webrowser on my PC.

2. Tried to sync cameras with network off in an isolated room

3. Swapped batteries around and even tried to sync with a camera plugged into wall

4. Tried to reduce other wifi signals causing issue.  Powered down anything with a signal (wifi remotes, google home devices).

5. Moved wifi channel farther away from neighbors

6. Tried it using a VPN

7. Tried changing DNS servers

8. Changed 3 month old router out to older router and set network back to way it was last time a camera was sync'd.

9. Decided it had to be a bad base station.  Bought one from amazon and repeated all of the above steps.

10. Took to a friends house and tried on his network.

11. Tried different patch cables

12. Tried the old base again

a) I pay for 'Smart Premier'.  Shows I have 0 of 10 cameras connected. 

b) Light behavior:  Each time, no matter the situation, Solid Green power and Internet Light.  Camera flashes blue until it fails, then rapid amber.

c) When I sync, I hit the button on the base quickly and as soon as the camera light flashes green i hit the sync button on the camera and then wait for it to fail.

d) I use spectrum and have >500mbps down and 20mbps up.

COULD THIS BE AN ACCOUNT ISSUE??  I am at a loss!

BradGalloway
Star
Star

@jguerdat Was looking at my app again.  Even though the base station is the only device on my account, it shows my previous 5 cameras under the 'arlo smart' settings.  If i try to 'manage arlo smart' to remove or change anything here, it says 'device not active'.  Could arlo smart settings be causing issues with the account in some way?  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It would be weird but I suppose. When I remove devices for a reset, I always remove the cameras first and then the base. If you reversed the order, I suppose the backend thinks your cameras are already synced. If that's the case, you have done all the things you can and it's time to open a case to see if the cameras can be removed from your account. https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

About the only other thing to try would be to use a brand new account with a second email address.

BradGalloway
Star
Star
I did remove the base and did not remove the cameras first. Even if that's a possibility, it still doesn't explain why I can't sync the brand new camera. I've got a ticket with support now, reporting the same info there, but have had no response for a while. Would it cause more of an issue if I created a new account and see if the base and new camera works there?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I think that's a very reasonable thing to try.

BradGalloway
Star
Star

Made a new account.  Chime nor any of the cameras would sync.   This makes no sense.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @BradGalloway

It looks like Customer Support sent an email today 6/19/19. Did you happen to receive this in your spam/junk folder? I have attached the inquiry below.

You may contact customer support anytime with questions/updates with you case number (40932711).

"Hi Brad,

Good Day!

This is Amer from Arlo Team. Please reply to this email about the updates of your problem with the cameras that are not
syncing to the base station.

Thank you for choosing Arlo. Have a great day!

Regards,
Amer
Arlo L1 Expert"

BradGalloway
Star
Star

Yes.  I received the email and have replied to it many times today with no further response.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@BradGalloway

Have you tried to call and provide the case number to support? I will escalate this for you as well.

BradGalloway
Star
Star

ive been chatting with different agents on the website off and on.  Havent called anyone yet.  Actually chatting with another agent right now...

BradGalloway
Star
Star

Thanks for checking.  They agent I was just chatting with escalated the case.  I'll see what happens.

BradGalloway
Star
Star

I never heard back from the next level of support.  I did take all the stuff to a 3rd location, an isolated hangar at the airport and everything sync'd right up.  Came back home and got everything put back up and everything is working normally.  While troubleshooting at home I had killed any signal at my house... the only thing I didn't think about was a honeywell alarm system that was installed since my last sucessful sync.  There are door, glass breaks and motion sensors everywhere.  Even though these are supposeed to be operating at 500 or so mhz, it is the only singal that was active in my house during some my attempts.  When I tried at my friends house, which is 3 doors down, it is probable that all of his devices and network setup could have been a problem in itself.  I'll just blame this one on my alarm system since I've added cameras and readded cameras over the last 2 years without issue.  Since adding the alarm system, its been a no go.   Hope this helps someone in the future.