Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Release Date for Arlo Pro - Australia

Discussion stats
Oldace
Follower
Follower

I am wondering if a release date is available yet for the ARLO PRO in Australia.

Cheers,

Oldace.

122 REPLIES 122
Mat_S
Guide
Guide
Jguerdat, you mean that, as you would expect, i can add 2 US bought pro's to my existing 4 cameras in Australia and pay for the Premier up-to 10 camera subscription?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yup.  Where you buy the camera is immaterial.  Where you try to subscribe and with where the credit card is from does.  So, upgrading your account in Oz using an Oz card will work for all the cameras.

fatrouni
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Folks

In response to some of your questions:

• Switchmode regulated plugpack 12VDC 1.5A from Jaycar can be found at https://www.jaycar.com.au/switchmode-mains-adaptor-12vdc-1-5a/p/MP3486.
  • Warranty has already been covered on page 2 of this discussion (valid only in country of purchase). Based on this, one can assume that should any problems arise, the products would have to be returned to the point of purchase.
  • I'm on the basic subscription (free) and have used it without any problems so far. As for upgrading the subscription, this has already been covered on pages 3 and 4 of this discussion.

Don't forget that you'll also need a travel adapter for charger/charging station. These can be purchased from just about anywhere.

One more thing. For those who plan on making their security mounts 'vandal-proof', whatever you do, don't use Loctite Threadlocker. Someone suggested using it in another discussion and I can assure you that it's a guranteed way to destroy your cameras.

silanah
Apprentice
Apprentice

NOT SURE about the subscriptions...

If I log in to Arlo on my Microsoft Surface Pro 4 via the web interface In Settings, Subscription, I have the option to upgrade and add more active cameras and storage. I can also buy CVR for the Q/Q+.  Note, the region on this particular device is set to USA for various reasons including it is the one I take with me when I travel there.

HOWEVER, if I log in to the Arlo app on the old iPad2 which has setting set to Australia, the subscription options that used to be there were removed in an update not so long ago.  There are NO OPTIONS to add more active cameras, more cloud storage or CVR. None.  There is only the info "NO CVR currently in your plan. If you would like Continuous Video recording, tap below for more information." But there is nothing to tap below that, just the info on your current cameras that does not lead to any subscription options.

Whether you can set you region to USA and opt in for a subscription probably depends, as jguerdat said, on whether you have a USA-based credit card. 

OR is it that you can only ever subscribe/upgrade via the web portal and not an app?  Anyone know?

Hugelolcat
Tutor
Tutor

To fatrouni and others in oz who may have this set up already, are there any other considerations with getting these from the states, perhaps latency to the arlo servers or some such when uploading?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I suspect you may need to contact support for clarification.  There should be no difference between browser or app for upgrading and the documentation here states that Australia is supported for all plans.  @JamesC should be able to clarify, too.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Hugelolcat wrote:

To fatrouni and others in oz who may have this set up already, are there any other considerations with getting these from the states, perhaps latency to the arlo servers or some such when uploading?

Again, the purchase point of the devices has no effect on operation.  It's all about where they are installed and your Internet access.

Wolfriver
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey Fatrouni... Would a 12v800A AC adapter output be fine?

(My old netgear router's adapter)

Thanks

fatrouni
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Wolfriver

That sounds massively over powered. 800A is normally associated with portable jump starters. Stick to the specs that I mentioned previously.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Probably means 800mA

LC_088
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Wolfriver

Do you mean it is a 240v AC input - 12v800mA DC output adapter?

Note that 800mA = 0.8A. Arlo base requires 12v1.5A, therefore your adapter is not suitable.

It is Ok if the output of the adapter is bit higher; eg 2.5A. But should not be under 1.5A. Please read this article:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/choose-right-power-adapter-charger-phone-laptop/  

Wolfriver
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks.

Yes, 12v 800mA. 

Mat_S
Guide
Guide
Just ordered 2 pro's / basestation from Smarthome with the 20% discount. Cost $535 including express delivery in 5 days.... mow off to Jaycar to buy the adapter.
mereHuman
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi guys,

Been itching to reply. This thread has helped me with my decision to purchase from the US instead of waiting, so thought I popped up give some credit and answer some q's.

First, thanks for Fatrouni on sharing her/his reaserch on Smarthome. Saved quite a lot with the 20% and from the (impending) local release price (Matty83 reply above).

Second, thanks to LC_088, we know now that we don't need to buy a step-down transformer (I don't like the idea of having bulky transformer constantly running). I simply need an Australian approved (in my head, it's safer due to the number of safety tests that manufacturer need to comply to) plug/power supply (eg. from your old Netgear, or from any other old devices that you don't use anymore). I happen to have one with the correct spec and form-facrtor. There's plenty on eBay, or just ask your local computer shop.

In regards to subscription from iPad: This is a restriction that Apple have placed on their iOS app. They want a 20% cut of any thing that app make. I suspect Netgear doesn't want to pay that. So, they only made it available for us to subscribe VIA browser.

Regards

obiwanmy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, i bought 2 of the arlo pro stand alone camera recently to add on to my older arlo (manage to get this at a significant discount due to error in shipping) - just wondering can i charge my arlo pro using the adapter supplied (with an international adapter), or do i need to get something else ?

Thanks in advance.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can use the adapter you suggest but any quality USB charger with Qualcomm Quick Charge capability should also work.  It needs to supply bot 5v and 9v at 1.5-2 amps.

Mat_S
Guide
Guide
Wow. Ordered 2 pro's and base station at midday Monday from Smarthome in US for $560AUD including postage and they arrived today at 2pm... 3 days to get here... very fast... now to set up.
AppleArlo
Star
Star

Bought one 3 camera Pro at JB Today.

Mini007
Tutor
Tutor
Hey guys,

My shipment has arrived in NZ and released by DHL after paying import charges and GST of 15%. So I incurred an additional NZD $194 plus NZD $800 for the three camera base, skins & a mount.
Mat_S
Guide
Guide
Ouch... no import duties for me
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Ouch!! I think I'll get the base and camera kit here and additional cameras from the US making sure each parcel is below NZ$400 in value to not incur duty/GST charges. Crazy an add on camera is NZ$399 here and US$169+$8.13 from the US which works out to be NZ$260. That additional $139 per add on camera is ridiculous

Mini007
Tutor
Tutor
Hi steve_t,
Anything more than NZD$60 will attract GST of 15% as per DHL.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Mini007 wrote:
Hi steve_t,
Anything more than NZD$60 will attract GST of 15% as per DHL.

No. It's when the duty+GST is over NZ$60, then they will collect. Anything less than that is not worth it to them to collect

http://www.whatsmyduty.org.nz/whats-my-duty

bellawii
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi All, can someone please share the coupon code to get 20% off at Smarthome.

Registered to mailing list but never received any email for the 20% off for the first order. 

Tried OFC in the coupon code field but it doesn't work.

Wanting to buy the Arlo Pro so would really appreciate any advice on getting the 20% discount to work.