Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Recording until activity stops up to 300 sec question after 4/3/17 FW update

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Deanomite
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have my cameras set to Record until activity stops (up to 300 sec) after the firmware update of 4/3/17

Pro Camera FW 1.092.0.1_11504, Pro Base Station FW 1.8.9.0_11528, Wire-free Base Station FW 1.8.8.0_11528

However the device only records multiple clips. Most of which are consecutive 16 second long clips. Perhaps 3-5 seconds delay between each clip. I managed to get on 1:24 minute clip once, but thats it. 

I know this has been an issue before but could only find old firmware related posts. I thought with this new release it would be continuous.

Can you advise on how this is supposed to work? One long video or multiple stitched videos?

Also is there a way to be emailed when there are firmware updates? I had no idea until i went to charge my battery and it showed up. 

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't forget that the motion has to be (nearly) continuous.  Based on my brief testing, I found that a 5 second lack of motion would continue to record but any pause in motion longer than that will stop recording, creating a new recording once motion starts again. I had about a 1-2 second interval between the end of the first and start of the second recordings.  16 seconds seems to be the norm for minimum recording times.

Stoppage of motion or motion that can't be detected will cause recordings to stop - no way around it.  As the setting says, "record until activity stops".

Deanomite
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks. There was continuous motion. I was walking around in front of the camera intentionally to test this feature specifically. Would always do 16 sec clips even though I was pacing around. 

Would motion sensitivity have anything to do with it? Its set at 43. Any higher and it seems to record plants moving in the wind.

Had a little bit better results with another camera set to 80. However clips were 41, 21, 1:21, 14 seconds consecutively. There was continuos motion as well.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Sensitivity would absolutely have something to do with it. My tests were at 97% since I was trying to detect everything. Distance from the camera would be related to the sensitivity, too. I was making sure I was well within the range of the detection.

Try your test again, maybe walking only side to side at a constant distance and then add 5 feet to the distance every time until you get a sense of where the maximum range is.
Deanomite
Apprentice
Apprentice

It appears the motion sensitivy has a huge impact.

Camera 1: Sensitivity bumped up to 80. continuos motion directly in range of camera, walking around in various angles. Resulted in 5 clips. Longest clip was 1:35. The rest were 0:36, 0:16, 0:41, 0:16

Camera 2: two same settings and method. Two 1:40 +/- clips.

Changed sensitivity to 100% on both cameras and success, i was able to get full 5 minutes of recording with full motion.

The problem is Motion settings for me over 80 just result in too much background motion triggers - leaves blowing in the wind, branches, etc set it off. Maybe the last FW update helped fix some of that? I'll just have to play with the settings and see what is a happy medium. 

Thanks!