Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Eugr
Guide
Guide

Folks, it looks like the feature we were asking for is finally here!

I've just went to adjust the recording length and found a new setting there - record until activity stops (300 sec max). 

Good job, Netgear!

36 REPLIES 36
PittCaleb
Aspirant
Aspirant

I wouldn't say this was a "prime factor" in my purchase, but an expected feature.  The cheaper less connected cameras I previously used had this built in.

If there is logic to know when movement starts, it's simple enough to use same to know when movement stops.  With the 15/30-second delay in recording "again" I often miss major moments I know it should capture.

Thankfully nothing bad, but when I know my kids came into the house or exited and I get a 3 second clip of that happening (b/c delayed start, etc.), had they been an intruder, I know the recording wouldn't have been useful.

I trust they're actively working on this and it is a high priority for them.  Honestly, my cameras are great for watching my dog and seeing when my kids and helpers come and go.  But honestly, if I were robbed, I do not know how valuable any of the footage would be the way it starts/stops recording.

PittCaleb

berwin
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry to hear about this. This is probably little consolation, but Arlo tech support told me that if you have two cameras aimed at the same spot, one set up to watch for motion and the second one to record the event (if camera 1 sees motion, record with camera 2), the reset time goes down from 30 seconds to 5-10 seconds. I tested this and found it to be true. Of course, this gets very expensive very fast, and is too late for you in this instance. But I thought I would mention it in case it helps anyone.

ReX83
Tutor
Tutor

Hello,

Is there any update about this feature?

I was about to buy a 4 cameras kit but when I discovered the limitation about the fixed length recording I reconsidered the purchase.

It seems a too strict constraint: I would end up in having dozen of false positive 15-120 seconds videos and possibly missing frames I need due to the cut after the fixed duration.

I am now using Canary (I know it is a powered camera, so not power constrained), but the beauty is that I have videos that last exactly the duration of the event (from a couple of seconds to 30+ minutes).

Thanks,

ReX

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
It's working fine. I get recordings starting at 16 seconds and going on up - as long as motion continues to be detectable. I've found that a storage of about 5 seconds is what will cause a recording to end with a 1 to 2 second gap until the next one will start. What folks aren't taking into consideration is that motion has to be detectable so distance, sensitivity, positioning, etc. can all cause recording to cease. In another thread just today, another user was having an issue with a series of short recordings that turned out to be due to the sensitivity settings g to try to avoid false triggers from leaves, branches, etc. You may be able to reposition the camera and/or trim vegetation to minimize the risk or use the schedule with reduced sensitivity if the time of day is the root cause.
ReX83
Tutor
Tutor

So in your setting you have a minimum recording time of 16 seconds (why not 15?). Is it correct to say that the camera records also the 16 seconds following the last detected movement?

What is the distance of motion detection? Can you specify areas?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The 16 seconds isn't a setting, it just seems to be the minimum time. I think another poster said he saw something like 13 seconds but 16 seems to be most common. The delay to stop recording is about 5 seconds after movement stops although it could be somewhat different. I tested 5 and 10 seconds so the time could be in between.

Distance is the same as always with people being on the order of 20 feet max. And, no, zones are not part of the wireless camera architecture.
ReX83
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks. Can you modify the delay to stop recording? Is it acting from the first movement or the last movement detected?

E.g. the camera detects motion (at time 0) and triggers recording. The motion lasts till second 40. Will the recording end at 40 + 10 or 0 + 10 (assuming 10 is the value you configured as "delay to stop recording")?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nope.  No settings on this at all - it's up to the system.

ReX83
Tutor
Tutor
I am confused now.

I've seen a couple of video on YouTube and they were showing 15 seconds recording, even if there was still motion in front of the camera. So either the users selected fixed length video or the camera is not able to record in a single video the totally of the event.

Can you set it?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The previous attempt at this resulted in 15 second videos or, IIRC, whatever you last had set for duration. That's been fixed and should give you at least 16 second recordings, although I had a 3 second one this morning. The vast majority are 16 seconds unless motion continues to be detectable.
Retired_Member
Not applicable
I have the Arlo Pro cameras set to 'Record until activity stops (up to 300 secs)' but all my recordings are 16 seconds. It never picks up on my garage door going up or down, despite the camera pointed directly at the door and sensitivity set to 90.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
16 seconds means motion has stopped rather than continuing before the approximately 5 second timeout occurs. I've found that 16 seconds is the typical minimum recording time for this setting.