Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Recording until activity stops is now available for Arlo Pro

Discussion stats
Eugr
Guide
Guide

Folks, it looks like the feature we were asking for is finally here!

I've just went to adjust the recording length and found a new setting there - record until activity stops (300 sec max). 

Good job, Netgear!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Engineering is investigating this issue. This feature is still under development at this time and users should select a predefined length for recording until this feature is officially released. We will be removing this feature until it is ready for release.

JamesC

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
lostchild
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just tried it this morning.  I got a push notification but nothing is recorded.   I have it in the front of the house and so far since I got it yesterday every entry and exit were recorded when I had it on 10 seconds.   But when I switched to this new mode, it does not record.  I wonder if it is because all my activites are under 5 seconds... so it won't record it on the video?   I did get a push notification but no video and no email with snapshot.

jcwrks
Luminary
Luminary

Now we know why push notifications are broken.

Eugr
Guide
Guide

I haven't had a chance to test it properly yet, but all videos recorded overnight have exactly 19 seconds in length... I wonder if it works properly - will try later today. And now the Android app is even more broken than usual - makes it impossible to play any videos except the first one for the day...

Deanomite
Apprentice
Apprentice

same issue, no recordings for me.

I see the update, but also not getting any notifications or recorded video since i changed it.

Arlo seems to be aware there are various issues at this time. I have multiple issues with my app right now.

Waiting on a fix.

Going back to manual recording time for now. 

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The issue with push notifications on iOS has been resolved. You may need to log out of the app and log back in for push notifications to continue coming through.

Please let me know if you are still experiencing an issue.

JamesC

Eugr
Guide
Guide

OK, I've tested it, and it doesn't seem to work yet. It just records whatever number of seconds I had on fixed length setting before (minus one second for some reason). I had it on 20 seconds before switching to this new setting, and it recorded clips 19 seconds long. Now I switched it to 30 seconds and then back to "record until motion stops" and regardless of how long I walk in front of camera, it records clips 29 seconds long.

Probably needs a firmware update to the camera and/or base to make it functional...

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Engineering is investigating this issue. This feature is still under development at this time and users should select a predefined length for recording until this feature is officially released. We will be removing this feature until it is ready for release.

JamesC

berwin
Aspirant
Aspirant

I see now that you are investing the problem but I don't know how to delete this post, just edit it. 🙂

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

Apparently this new feature is'nt ready yet and their working on the issue. I assume you also have your recordings set for 1:59?

Jcclark78
Guide
Guide
The 12/21 firmware update removed the option and if it was previously selected it reverted back to 10 seconds. Not sure where to post suggestions but I feel that in order to make the recording until no motion usable a timer should be used. When motion is detected, unit starts recording. When motion is no longer detected a timer should begin to count down (user selectable length) If no more motion is sensed before timer expires recording is stopped. If however motion is sensed again, timer is reset and recording continues. I do not like the idea of a limit if someone is in my house I want to have a recording no matter how long it is. These units are marketed as security cameras right!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Simply reset the recording time as you normally would.  Regardless of whether you have a static time set or (ultimately) have the record while motion is detected selection, continued detectable motion will trigger additional recordings.  There's a reset time of several seconds between these recordings but the real key is the detectable motion.  If the sensors can't detect motion, there will be no recording.

berwin
Aspirant
Aspirant

jguerdat wrote:

Simply reset the recording time as you normally would.  Regardless of whether you have a static time set or (ultimately) have the record while motion is detected selection, continued detectable motion will trigger additional recordings.  There's a reset time of several seconds between these recordings but the real key is the detectable motion.  If the sensors can't detect motion, there will be no recording.

In my experience, it takes a minimum of 34 seconds between recordings. Are you getting "several" seconds before recording again? Thanks.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've noted ~30 seconds between recordings myself. Others have reported more like 15 seconds. Thus, it's a variable amount, perhaps depending on the resolution of the video and the upload speed.

PittCaleb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any update on this feature returning or ETA?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

PittCaleb,

This feature is still under development. I do not have a release estimate at this time. I will post an update once I have more information.

JamesC

KenJoCo
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC

Will this feature also be coming to the standard Arlo range as well?

Thanks

mrzoiks
Aspirant
Aspirant

@JamesC

I don't need an ETA, but can you confirm that this will be a feature eventually then, meaning prolonged recording on continuous motion?

I upgraded/exchanged from an Arlo to Arlo Pro for sound and offline recording, but this last detail is the only downside, so I'll be really happy when/if that's sorted out!

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

From what has been released from Arlo, this new feature will record until activity stop's but only up to a certin amount of time. I thought it was 200 seconds or something, I don't remember now.

So, if someones breaking into your car it'll keep recording until the person's gone or stop's, up to the maximum time limit of let's say 200 seconds. On the other hand, if a cat walk's past your camera it'll record only the few seconds that the cat is in camera view, not the typical long 30 second clips that many of us are set at.

Like many people, I get a ton of 30 second video's of cat's and dog's walking past my house or driveway. With this new feature it'll be more like 5 second clips.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

KenJoCo, mrzoiks

More information will be available on this feature when it is closer to release. When information becomes available, I will post an update.

JamesC

mrzoiks
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks @JamesC, it's good to know you guys are working on this feature, very happy with Arlo Pro otherwise.

1unhappycustome
Guide
Guide

This was a primary factor in my decision to buy the Arlo system and the feature has been removed. Now I am stuck with a system that does not perform as advertised. Are there others in the same situation? I have escalated my case to several departments. Not very customer friendly. Let’s get this resolved

mbauer
Apprentice
Apprentice
A classic case of overpromising and under-delivery. My biggest issue right now is that the cameras will not continue to record if there is still motion. Someone broke into both of our cars several weeks ago and much of it was not recorded because of the long 30+ second reset period. Why is it so difficult for Netgear to resolve this issue?
jcwrks
Luminary
Luminary

Regardless, you should have still had some clear video footage of the suspects even if it didn't record the entire event. Did you have your record time at the default 10 sec or was it increased?