Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Some additional testing for the Pro cameras is as follows:

- My cameras are outdoors. The FOV is very much the same so 110 degrees, not 130. The Arlo camera is picking up traffic on the street in front but not the Pro. 

- The Pro just picked up the neighbor's car from 50-75 feet away but right on the left edge. Perhaps these two observations are due to the dual PIRs in the Pro.

- There's a warmer color cast to the Pro cameras which initially had me pondering the IR cut filter. I don't believe it's a flaw, just different hardware.

More to come.

15 REPLIES 15
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

- The Pro cameras are a somewhat different shape and, I suspect, balance due to center of gravity shift.  I've had them rotate down on the magnetic mount .  I've tried 2 different mounts just in case it was a texture/strength issue on one but the same thing happened.  I used TomMac's trick of a piece of balloon between the camera and mount and so far it's working.

- Night vision is much enhanced with the Pro.  I don't know if it's brighter IR illuminators or if it's an improved sensor.  It seems comparable to the Q cameras now.  Here's a comparison shot:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4960473/Screenshot_20161020-053125.png

Screenshot_20161020-053125.png

- To reiterate the prvious comment about the Pro not picking up street movement, we just had a big payloader and dumptrucks move through picking up yard debris.  The old camera caught it all, nothing on the Pro.

duckson
Apprentice
Apprentice
That doesn't sound promising.......
duckson
Apprentice
Apprentice
Have you compared detection of people walking towards the camera from the top centre of the view?
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

jguerdat wrote:

- The Pro cameras are a somewhat different shape and, I suspect, balance due to center of gravity shift.  I've had them rotate down on the magnetic mount .  I've tried 2 different mounts just in case it was a texture/strength issue on one but the same thing happened.  I used TomMac's trick of a piece of balloon between the camera and mount and so far it's working.

Are you using the mounts that came with the Pro?  Are they identical with the Non-Pro, or, their may be a slight difference that visually you may not notice?

-Robert
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Hi Robert...

I don't see it with the old Arlo mounts, but another user is seeing the slippage problem... thread on here

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Arlo-Pro-mount-issue-weak-magnet/td-p/1157778/jump-to/firs...

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks Tom, I saw that.

Ingenuity at its best, love your fix!

-Robert
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

RobertRosal wrote:

Are you using the mounts that came with the Pro?  Are they identical with the Non-Pro, or, their may be a slight difference that visually you may not notice?

I can't compare the supplied PRO mounts as I didn't get any... using the Arlo mounts and just searched the box and found Pro supplied mount

They are in all ways the same , grain texture , feel, weight,...etc.

Morse is faster than texting!
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks for the clarification.

-Robert
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

duckson wrote:
That doesn't sound promising.......

Assuming you're referring to the lack of traffic detection, that could be a plus since many others complain about just that issue. We need clarification as to why this is so - dual PIRs, different software, what? As far as people detection, it seems similar to the originals, a bit faster.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

duckson wrote:
Have you compared detection of people walking towards the camera from the top centre of the view?

Yup, I tested that first thing. The Pro detected sooner and generally seems to do so in most cases, street traffic being the exception. I also had a neighbor's car pulling in way on the edge of viewthat was detected at least 50 feet away.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

RobertRosal wrote:

jguerdat wrote:

I used an old mount first and swapped in one from the Pro kit with the same results. As far as I can tell, they're identical. I used a piece of balloon between the camera and mount and that has held so far.

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks for checking!

-Robert
FreestyleBiker
Aspirant
Aspirant
What is the icon next to your batter indicator? Is that a hard drive?
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

jguerdat wrote:

duckson wrote:

Yup, I tested that first thing. The Pro detected sooner and generally seems to do so in most cases, street traffic being the exception. I also had a neighbor's car pulling in way on the edge of viewthat was detected at least 50 feet away.

Hi JG,

Do you happen to have a snapshot of the detection of people walking towards the camera?

It would be nice if you also have a baseline shot with your original Arlo.

I apologize if I'm being nit picky. 🙂

-Robert
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just posted what should be a good answer here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Arlo-Pro-users/m-p/1158385#M454

Note that these are library links that will disappear in 24 hours.  If really needed, I canput them up on Dropbox and share from there.