Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro - camera on sidewalk and road

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
kgrlamm
Guide
Guide

just bought my new camera system today. want to have my front porch camera get the front door and yard. However, we have a sidewalk and major neighborhood road right in front of the house. How do I make sure the road and sidewalk show up in the video, but I only want the alert and video to start when someone actually enters my yard, not everytime someone just walks or drives by the house? I am shooting long way down the front of the house, so I need to pull the sensitivity in on the side, not the front, that seems to be the kicker. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Sense level is for the entire field of view, you can not have some areas at different sense levels.

Placement is critial...  remember that the PIR device only picks people out to a max of 23+ft in a good setting

( car which reflect IR will set off camera at greater distances and usu roads should be eliminated to prevent numerous false triggers )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Sense level is for the entire field of view, you can not have some areas at different sense levels.

Placement is critial...  remember that the PIR device only picks people out to a max of 23+ft in a good setting

( car which reflect IR will set off camera at greater distances and usu roads should be eliminated to prevent numerous false triggers )

kgrlamm
Guide
Guide

So what exactly does the "sense" level correspond too? If I have it set to 50%, does that mean a moving object has to be half way through the video screen before motion is detected or does that mean it only detects 50% of the motion that occurs at the outside, farthest edges of the video? Does reducing the "sense level" pull in how far out something is detected or does it only reduce the sensitivity and that's it?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Sensitivity is a way to set how sensitive the PIR is to motion, just as it is for motion lighting. You have to adjust it to a reasonable compromise between false detections and activating quickly for real subjects.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

PS  higher # is more sensitive.... most of my cams run from 85 to 92%