Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro Camera charger different from Security Lights?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have 3 Arlo chargers - one from the Pro camera 3-pack and then 2 from Security Light packs (all bought brand new). Only the one from the Pro camera pack will charge the cameras - I've swapped batteries, cameras, chargers, every combination possible. The chargers from the Security Light packages will _not_ charge the cameras - I get the "Incompatible" notification.

Any chance someone else has seen this same thing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Interesting. Verify that the chargers are Netgear/Arlo (depends on when purchased) and have the appropriate voltages. It's been a long time since I charged the lights directly (I have the external charger and extra batteries so just swap batteries when needed) but IIRC the lights use a charger with only 5v outputs while the cameras use one that have both 5v and 9v outputs. The cameras require the 9v output to charge (Qualcomm QuickCharge) so maybe the lights do, too. I think I remember charging the lights with the charger that came with them but it's been too long and I'm too old to remember for sure.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Interesting. Verify that the chargers are Netgear/Arlo (depends on when purchased) and have the appropriate voltages. It's been a long time since I charged the lights directly (I have the external charger and extra batteries so just swap batteries when needed) but IIRC the lights use a charger with only 5v outputs while the cameras use one that have both 5v and 9v outputs. The cameras require the 9v output to charge (Qualcomm QuickCharge) so maybe the lights do, too. I think I remember charging the lights with the charger that came with them but it's been too long and I'm too old to remember for sure.

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@jguerdat wrote:

IRC the lights use a charger with only 5v outputs while the cameras use one that have both 5v and 9v outputs. The cameras require the 9v output to charge (Qualcomm QuickCharge) so maybe the lights do, too. I think I remember charging the lights with the charger that came with them but it's been too long and I'm too old to remember for sure.

This is exactly it - the lights do _not_ need QC apparently, their charger is 5v only. The Pro cameras need QC that provides the 9v - and the charger from the Pro camera pack shows both 5v/9v output but the Security Lights charger shows only 5v/2A output. Thanks for the reply; hopefully anyone else struggling with this can find the answer here. I was banging my head far too long...