Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Brian0613
Guide
Guide

I bought a set of 4 Arlo Pro Cameras. It came with a single charger. I would like to have all 4 units continuously powered since I often leave home for 6+ months at a time. I am unable to buy just the charger without buying an additional battery or dual charging station. Am I missing something? Other USB power adapters do not work because Arlo seems to use a custom configuration. I am not sure if the customization is in the cord or the AC adapter. Can I buy just the Charger?

85 REPLIES 85
Gidmo
Guide
Guide

I bought the 15' cables on Amazon. It is Deegotech PS4 micro USB cable. It is thick- don know the guage. I bought the 2 port USB adapters also from Amazon. Tested and the battery charging error was gone. I will be installing them soon

stefang
Initiate
Initiate

You need an adapter that supports Quick Charge. This one worked perfectly for me, including battery charging.

Quick Charge 3.0, Anker 18W USB Wall Charger https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016LO811S

The USB cable also makes a difference, not all cables work. Not sure what the exact difference is, but Anker PowerLine cables worked just fine, the connector is tight but it fits if you push a bit harder, it is a snug fit.

Anker PowerLine Micro USB https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerLine-Micro-USB-6ft/dp/B012VZT5IO

Both the adapter and cable are good quality and at a fraction of the price (not including the unnecessary battery).

I do not work for Anker, they just make products that are compatible :-). 

Techlore
Apprentice
Apprentice

There is now an approved Outdoor Power Adapter made by NETGEAR. IT works for the Arlo Go and Arlo Pro.

There is also a solar panel for those interested.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-pro/solar-panel.aspx#VMA4600-100NAS

Fricke
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here are a couple of non Arlo solutions that will save money;

1. FRYS Electronics, Arlo Outdoor Camera Power Adapter (Arlo Pro or Arlo Go) 19.99, http://www.frys.com/product/9228799?source=google&gclid=CjwKCAjwtdbLBRALEiwAm8pA5euWQuP1LWZeM5Oe5XHl...

2. Google search 'arlo pro wall charger' and Best Buy has a 20' usb cable for 13.99. Find a wall charger that supplies 9v 1.1A and use this cable to reach the camera. That will keep the battery charged and the camera will use the battery for power. Also BB has the charger/battery option for 41, instead of 49 (Arlo price).  

I say buy the FRYS charger/cable for 20 and have an electrician install a wall plate. Run an extention cord in the mean time. OR, use the batteries until the wall plate is installed. When replacing the battery leave the camera in place. Steady the camera and push the back button and let the camera hinge forward to expose the battery compartment. Replace the battery and close. This way there is no need to reset the camera position. 

Fricke
Aspirant
Aspirant

FRYS Electronics has the same charger for 10 less. The solar panel is still back ordered and is 79.99. 

Artful_Dodger
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does anybody have a link to Best Buy for the Outdoor Power Adapter (VMA4700) for Arlo Pro? Fricke says that Best Buy has the power adapter for $13.99. I can't find it on Best Buy's website at all.

Netgear has increased the price from $19.99 to $29.11 on Amazon for this item. $30 for a power adapter seems like a rip-off.

Dodger

Fricke
Aspirant
Aspirant

Dodger, Fricke wrote Best Buy has a cable, not a charger.

Below is the link for a charger that will charge the Arlo Pro and Arlo Go, it is made by Netgear. It is sold by FRYS Electronics.

http://www.frys.com/product/9228799?source=google&gclid=CjwKCAjwtdbLBRALEiwAm8pA5euWQuP1LWZeM5Oe5XHl...

Fricke
Aspirant
Aspirant

to Brian0613, Netgear owns Arlo and Netgear has a charger out that costs 19.99 at FRYS Electronics.Its in the camera section. Maybe a little late but one can buy a charger without the battery. I picked up 2 today and hooked up one and the camera worked while charging the battery. The FRYS p/n is 9228799.

Alphadog73
Aspirant
Aspirant

Would you happen to have a link to a cord that you know for sure fits the cameras?  I have been trying to figure this out for weeks and am so freaking tired of these cameras.  Ridiculous that netgear won't just sell a power supply, seeing as though I've had several go bad already.  I've tried what feels like about 20 different power supplies and cords and I"m tired of spending money on these things.  Apparently the slightest power surge will blow the power supplies that come with the cameras because I've had several go bad within the first month of owning them.  Way too expensive to be having these issues, only to be told you can't buy replacement power supplies to replace the crappy ones they're providing in the first place.  Not impressed.  Anyway, if you happen to have a link to a cord that for sure fits these cameras, I'd appreciate it.  Been on hold with netgear support for 45 minutes now while looking on this forum for answers. Loved those big companies with crappy products and even crappier customer service!  Hey Netgear, maybe if you sold stuff that wasn't crap and at least let people buy replacement parts for the crap that breaks or stops working, your customer support lines wouldn't be backed up an hour all the time!

Alphadog73
Aspirant
Aspirant

Oh and the power supply you provided the link for costs $20, so getting that and a rapid charge cord for under $20 isn't going to happen.  But at this point I'll pay whatever I need to pay, ....just want these cameras working finally so i can get on with my life!  Regretting buying Netgear products.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

This works for me. 

Power and Cable