Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Brian0613
Guide
Guide

I bought a set of 4 Arlo Pro Cameras. It came with a single charger. I would like to have all 4 units continuously powered since I often leave home for 6+ months at a time. I am unable to buy just the charger without buying an additional battery or dual charging station. Am I missing something? Other USB power adapters do not work because Arlo seems to use a custom configuration. I am not sure if the customization is in the cord or the AC adapter. Can I buy just the Charger?

85 REPLIES 85
DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Mine are plugged in constantly and I don't have a problem until it hits around 4 below.

You shouldn't be having a problem if it's above 0 degrees. I would contact support since it doesn't sound normal.

YYZ-Arlo
Star
Star

I'm having the same issue; super inconvenient.

Netgear really needs to offer the USB charger as a separate accessory (without the battery).

perrenialguy
Tutor
Tutor

I was able to solve this by getting a usb wall adapter that supports qualcomm quick charge 3.0

see link below for example charger. seems to work just like the arlo adapter. I had to use a 3.0 cable usb cable as well. but you can get both for under $20 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BBZJ31Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

kbhit
Star
Star

Thank you for posting this. Is it true that Netgear doesn't just let you buy the USB cable&adaptor and instead only bundle it with a battery?  It makes me wonder if they did this intentionally (more revenue? I hope not!) and causing people like in this thread to search for alternatives.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A power adapter sold separately (rated for outdoor use) is coming soon. For more information, take a look at this product here: Outdoor Charging Cable (VMA4700)

JamesC

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This is a good option and it looks like the connector fully plugs the USB socket in the camera so hopefully it is 100% waterproof.

The right angle is also a good idea although it will not solve the clearance for the threaded connection on most threaded camera mounts.

Thanks for listening to our suggestions on this issue.

kbhit
Star
Star

Glad this is coming soon!  In my case, I mainly just need it for indoor (not outdoor).  But the outdoor one should work nonetheless unless the weatherproofing adds too much price overhead.  

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Looks nice, i also like the Arlo Quadpod Mount. Would look nice for one of my cameras just sitting on a bookshelf.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

For indoors it would be overkill, and I am guessing not less than $30.

A standard 5v adapter and usb cable would be around $10-$15.

This product was designed primarily for 24/7 power outdoors.

Using it as an outdoor charger would really make little sense if you need to move, reposition or unmount the camera.

You may as well just bring the camera indoors to charge.

kbhit
Star
Star

It works great indoors.  BTW a regular 5v USB won't work if you also want to leave the battery in there which is a very practical thing to want to do (for example, battery backup if power goes out).  From what I understand, you need a quick charge adaptor/cable for the camera to function if the battery is inserted.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes, the quick charge adapter is needed if you want charge the battery but you don't need it to run the camera even if the battery is in it. It just won't charge the battery.

If you are running off AC only,  any adapter will work. That is how I am running mine. $10. I installed the cameras and never have to touch them

It wouldn't be practical to have a battery back up if the power goes out unless you have a battery backup on your basestation/router.

kbhit
Star
Star

Good reminder regarding getting a battery backup system for basestation + router.  

Sacfireman
Guide
Guide
I used my charger adapter from my Samsung Galaxy s7 edge with the adaptive charging..and it worked... just FYI for the purple that have those phones and chargers
bosox
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can you better identify when your power adapters will be released for sale? You mentioned this almost four weeks ago. 

Sacfireman
Guide
Guide

Just go buy the Samsung galaxy s7 charger with the adaptive fast charger..   I works.  I use it on mine.

bosox
Aspirant
Aspirant
Sacfireman, do you have the batteries in the camera while using this charger?
Sacfireman
Guide
Guide

Yes..   using the Samsung s7 charger to recharge the batteries as a regular micro USB charger will not work

Artful_Dodger
Aspirant
Aspirant

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to let everybody know that Arlo is coming out with an Outdoor Power Adapter (VMA4700).

Which is very good news. I wish they would say how long the cable is, but it doesn't give that info.

No release date for the new cable either. It just says coming soon.

Hope this helps.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-pro/outdoor-charging-cable.aspx?cid=amb

Retired_Member
Not applicable

The only question I have is When? I have a need for 3 outdoor adapters as getting the ladder out everytime the cameras need charging is a real pain.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You did realize when purchasing that these are battery-operated, right?  🙂

kbhit
Star
Star

If probably don't know this jguerdat, but these can be both battery-operated and/or operated using power from a USB.  In our situation, both use cases are utilized.  For outside we use battery only (for now anyways).  For inside, we plug into USB and leave the battery in.  That way, we don't have to worry about recharging, and we get battery backup incase of power outages etc.  I hope this helps you.  

Artful_Dodger
Aspirant
Aspirant

The page for the Outdoor Power Adpater (VMA4700) still says "Coming Soon". I called Arlo & fussed at them for not giving any more information. The woman had no answers for me, but talked to somebody else and finally said the cable would be available in March. Hopefully, she meant March 2017.

That was all the info she had for me. The price and the cable length were not available. 

I expect these will be very popular, as their battery life is not as advertised and people need a way to power their cameras.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

"If probably don't know this jguerdat, but these can be both battery-operated and/or operated using power from a USB.  In our situation, both use cases are utilized.  For outside we use battery only (for now anyways).  For inside, we plug into USB and leave the battery in.  That way, we don't have to worry about recharging, and we get battery backup incase of power outages etc.  I hope this helps you."

You leave the battery in even though it is powered by AC so I am assuming you must have your basestation on backup power correct?

kbhit
Star
Star

Good question.  Correct, power supply for base station + local storage for backup.  The primary reason I plug in inside is because I have outlets everywhere and don't want to keep changing batteries 🙂  Basically I want to be as lazy as possible and these batteries do seem to run out faster than I expected.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Kbhit, thatnks for pointing out the obvious. My point is simply that you bought these knowing they were battery-operated, ladders required.