Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Position Mode and Live stream not working at all

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Wrexial
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just setup my new Arlo Pro base station and camera last night, and after playing around with it extensively today I still cannot get the Position Mode or the Live streaming features to work under any circumstances.  I even brought the camera into the same room as the base station, about 6 six feet away, still no luck.  And I also made sure the base station is directly connected to my cable modem/router for the most direct Internet connection.

What's strange is that the camera is detecting motion and recording video, it is sending notifications, and I can view the recorded videos in my library.  So it seems like the camera is working on a basic level and there is a decent wifi connection. The 3 lights on the base station are all solid green.

Here is what happens when I try to use Position Mode and Live streaming.  Note that I'm doing all this from a web browser (Chrome) running on my Windows 10 desktop.

Positon Mode:  There is a big rectangular gray box with white text "Please wait..." that stays for about 15-20 seconds, then it changes to a blank white box with a thin gray border.  No video image. And it just stays that way.

Live stream: On the Devices page, I see a video still shot of the last recorded video in my Library, with a white oval "Live" button on it.  When I press that button, I see white text "Please wait..." that lasts for about 15-20 seconds, then it goes back to the original video still image of the last recorded video.  At no point do I see any live video from the camera.

I have decently fast upstream Internet speeds (about 1.4 mbps), so I don't see why live streaming should be an issue at all.  Especially since the camera is obviously capable of recording and uploading video to my library when it detects motion.

Anyone else having this problem?  I'm brand new to wireless home secuity cameras and to Arlo, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

wadehall, Wrexial

Flash needs to be enabled for live streaming to function. If you have Flash disabled in Chrome, this would cause the issue you describe.

JamesC

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Wrexial,

This could be related to the browser/app you are using. Do you see the same behavior if you try live streaming from a different device/browser?

If so, consider a base station reboot (using the on-off button) and try again to further isolate the issue.

JamesC

wadehall
Tutor
Tutor

I have had my 4 camera system now for over a year, 3 battery powered & 1 powered camera.  The live video feed has been working fine until recently, none of the cameras will give a live feed.  Everything else seems to be working fine.  I tried a power reboot on the Netgear router, that did not help.  I switched my browser from Google Chrome to Internet Explorer & the live video stream now works.  So the question is what do I need to do to fix the problem with Google Chrome since it worked for over a year & now it doesn't?

Wrexial
Aspirant
Aspirant

There is definitely an issue with Chrome for me, as I discovered soon after starting this thread.  Viewing the Live stream and using Position Mode both work pretty smoothly in Internet Explorer, but not at all in Chrome.  I think  it could be because in Chrome I have disabled the auto-loading of Flash plugins on web pages.  Maybe there is some code behind the scenes in the Arlo web app that relies on Flash being able to load and run automatically.  In any case, I'm just going to use IE for managing my Arlo cams, since it seems to work reasonably well.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

wadehall, Wrexial

Flash needs to be enabled for live streaming to function. If you have Flash disabled in Chrome, this would cause the issue you describe.

JamesC