Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
CobraJet
Star
Star

I've had a 5 camera system since June of this year and always had max signal strength (3 bars) on all cameras, but since the latest update three of my cameras only show 2 bars and the other two show 1 bar.  There have been no changes to the environment or system and all cameras are showing Firmware 1.092.0.5_13833 and system is Version 2.4.4.09.1044_18113.  I have tried rebooting both base station and cameras but to no avail and unless I'm missing something, I hope this message helps Netgear acknowledge the issue and quickly implement a fix.  Thanks for taking the time to read my note!

27 REPLIES 27
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

From my info... Netgear has been leveling the signal levels accross all platforms ( PC was usu high ).

It may just be that now it is more accurate.  Is it working the same ?

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
CobraJet
Star
Star

The cameras appear to be working but there's no way of telling if a camera drops out from time to time, especially when it's showing 1 bar of signal strength.  All of my cameras are within 75' of the base station which is in an optimal/central location, therefore I don't think it 's unreasonable to expect a solid 3 bar signal like I had before.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Ive have 3 bars on the web browser and 1 bar level on IOS....

In truth, if the 3 bar signal level is false , what good is that?

Morse is faster than texting!
CobraJet
Star
Star

Your point is well taken, however the bar graph is the only tool we have to determine wether or not we have good signal strength between devices and if we presume it to be inaccurate that leaves us guessing.  That being said, I've always had a solid 3 bars on both web browser and IOS, therefore I'm sure you can appreciate why I'd be concerned that both browser and IOS are now showing the same 1 or 2 bars.  Since there's no way of determining how strong the signal actually is with 1 bar,  I am no longer confident that the cameras will work flawlessly.  At least 2 bars gives me a margin of error, but 1 bar is too susceptible to failure.  If Netgear needs to redefine/balance signal strength, then maybe they should change the user interface to a 5 bar graphic to show more detail of the actual signal, thereby eliminating what's questionable.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

To get a better handle on what the strength really is, use a WiFi strength app to check the base's signal at each camera to see how they correlate.

Is it possible a 2.4GHz wireless device got moved or a neighbor has addedor changed something that could be interfering with the signal?

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Same here......(android phone) only about 20' from base station, even more peculiar is a second camera farther away by a lot showing full strength.

Very strange.

fubar2224
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same exact issue after the latest firmware update was pushed out, 1.092.0.5_13833. Cameras that had full bars in the past now show 1. They do stil work but I am concerned about this. Nothing in the environment has changed. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This is likely a more accurate representation of the signal strength in your environment as the accuracy of the WiFi signal strength indicator has been improved with recent firmware updates.

JamesC

fubar2224
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi JamesC,

Thank you for the updated information stating that the original signal strength provided for the past 6 months was inaccurrate and wrong, now that the new updated firmware is showing the correct value. I will keep this is mind when/if buying any future ARLO products as the performance can be changed/altered/worsened with each firmware update that is released.

I will make sure to pass this information along to all of the people I have recommended ARLO to in the past.

Thanks again for clarifying this for me.

silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Iam also getting this also on top of cameras are offline sometimes which I have never got before since the last update. Been through all the rebooting stuff and didn't help. It's seems when they try to fix something they break something else. My system has been trouble free since March of this year until now.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

fubar2224,

To clarify my original statement. This wouldn't change the actual performance of your cameras, only what is shown on the indicator. There are many environmental conditions that can impact the WiFi signal strength for your cameras, over time this indicator has been improved to reflect the most accurate reading based on these conditions. I don't know specifically that any recent firmware changes would result in your cameras WiFi indicator changing from full to 1 but if your cameras are behaving as expected as you indicate, I would not recommend making any changes on your end.

James

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

fubar2224 wrote:

Hi JamesC,

I will keep this is mind when/if buying any future ARLO products as the performance can be changed/altered/worsened with each firmware update that is released.

You could say that about any product that receives firmeware updates or even software updates. Things might get better, which is the goal of updates, or things can go wrong. I relaize you're frustrated, but acting like an Arlo firnware update was the only firmware update to even cause problems is a bit silly. I think most people now-a-days know updates can go wrong sometimes.

CobraJet
Star
Star

Hello JamesC and thanks for trying to clarify what's going on behind the scenes. I'm very aware of my internal/external environment and I know nothing has changed except for the recent update therefore the cause and effect seems fairly obvious. I understand what you're saying about the improved accuracy of the signal strength in the app but try and understand how unnerving it is for us on the end user side when Netgear makes changes that appear to have a negative impact on our systems.  For me it becomes a confidence issue that the cameras will work as expected, and as previously stated I'm concerned that 1 bar of signal strength could result in an untimely failure. That being said, if the latest update is providing us (the end users) more accurate information I'm all for it, however Netgear should change the app to a five bar signal strength graph to depict the accuracy so we (end users) can make informed decisions about our systems.  Simply stated ...if Netgear is striving for accuracy that's great, just give us (the end users) more detailed information in the app to work with.   Thanks!

silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Netgear NEEDS to roll back this update as I have had my system since March of this year and never had a problem till now. Signal strength has dropped on my cameras and they have been in the same spot since new and now iam getting the "cameras appear off line" message even though my base still has internet connection seems to happen when I do a live view for about 15 seconds then all my cameras go out then they will come back about 1 minute later. ROLL IT BACK NETGEAR.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Dear Netgear,

Please do not roll back a successful update. My 4 cameras are working flawlessly and have been since June. Integration with smartthings has a quirk or too, but otherwise, keep up the good work.

Dear end user,

If you are experiencing issues after the last update....... if/when you contact Netgear ask if they have a process in place to re-push and reinstall the update to your base. I work in IT as an engineer and sometimes updates fail for a few while are successful for others. Many times the fix is as simple as uninstalling the broken update and reinstalling it.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

I noticed it too about this signal deterioration. It's affecting when I go to web on my computer getting the "connection time out" but not so much on my iphone. Nonetheless, there's a decline in signal which I constantly been having full bars. Is Arlo Netgear's talented Software Engineers doing something on their end that made all these strange behavior in our System? Only they know.. All good.. I still have a few more days to pack up and return/exchange to Costco. Goodluck to all.. 

fubar2224
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, this is starting to get worse. Now some of my cameras are not connecting at all sometimes whereas they worked fine for months before.

Is there any way to rollback to the previous version? If there is, can you please provide the steps?

Jcamp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wow, didn't realize how bad the new update is. I am vacation and I just checked my cameras (I have 4) and they are all within 50' of the base station. 3 are reading one bar and 1 is reading 2 bars. They all used to have 3 bars.. one keeps going off line and not reading at all. What is going on with Netgear. I can't trust my cameras to keep an eye on my house any more. Unless something is done quick I might as well throw them in the garbage

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

fubar2224 wrote:

Ok, this is starting to get worse. Now some of my cameras are not connecting at all sometimes whereas they worked fine for months before.

Is there any way to rollback to the previous version? If there is, can you please provide the steps?

How can I reset my Arlo base station to the default values?

https://kb.arlo.com/1057976/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-base-station-to-the-default-values

stagden330
Tutor
Tutor

Exactly the same issue as others.  No change in sytem set up or basestation/camera positioning beyond the firmware update, yet all my cameras now have single dots - some black, some orange and the cameras now frequently go offline.  Historically, I may have had one single dot on one camera but 1-3 bars on others.  Not good as I imagine battery life will be severely reduced, and of course an offline camera is of little use all round.

gamester5
Tutor
Tutor

I have the very same problem. After the latest update my signal went from full bars to 1. It is obvious there is an issue with this update if this many users are having the exact same problem. Not all of us could have a change of environment that made our reception this bad all of a sudden. 

How to revert back to previous firmware? Has Netgear acknowledged there was a bug in this update regarding signal strength to cameras?

Merman
Guide
Guide

Same story here as CobraJet. It's clear Netgear has created a problem. My 5 cams are all within 50 feet of the base station and all but one has always indicated full strength. (2 plus years) The farthest away from the base station has always indicated one bar less than full strength. No cams have ever disconnected from the base station for any reason other than when batteries have expired. If cams are now disconnecting and signal strength levels are in the dirt, it's by design. You can't say the signal strengths now indicated are more accurate and explain why cams that always stay connected are now disconnecting. I love my arlo cams but Netgears software side of the house has struggled. (especially on ios)

grateful1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here.  During a remodel, I actually relocated the base closer to two of the three cameras... but signal strength dropped to one dot on all cameras, which goes back and forth orange to black.  "Cameras appear offline"  no battery strength indicator, online or through the phone.  Like a switch these issues started appearing.  Aggravating.  Hoping for a firmware update to correct this issue STAT  !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nancy_L
Apprentice
Apprentice

Since last firmware update cameras have low signal strength, sometimes record in black & white during the daylight hours. Have changed batteries but no use. Sometimes they won't pick up movement. Frequently get a timeout when trying to go LIVE.  Cameras worked great until last update.