Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

jjs4653
Star
Star

Has anyone experienced pixelating video in the first 2-3 seconds of the recorded video.  It happens every time for me.  It has great reception  full Wifi bars... and does not happen with my original Arlo camera.. just with the new Pro.

450 REPLIES 450
robsss
Star
Star

Changing the network channels did not seem to make it any better. Here is a video from this morning:

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/F29DDBA233763A6E_201701

I would probably take the cameras back as well, but I am in a bad situation since I split a 4 Arlo Pro camera pack purchase with a co-worker and I sold 2 of my original Arlo cameras.

I can work with Netgear on this, but based on other reporting new cameras are not going to fix anything.

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Robsss, so is it safe to say it is WiFi interference somehow? What are your closes wifi devices to either the base or camera? Do you have a router that has 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz? If so, what happens if you disable the 2.4Ghz network and leave on the 5Ghz network? Same results?

robsss
Star
Star

At this point I will not commit that it is WiFi interference. I only shutdown my wifi for a short bit so it was not a great test. My router has both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. Right now 5Ghz is turned off. My repeater is 2.4Ghz. I can try shuting down 2.4Ghz on the router, but will probably leave the repeater on.

FWIW - I am an IT network/sysadmin.

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Robsss, I"m a sysadmin as well. At least we can troubleshoot these issues a little easier with our background 🙂

SteveWhite
Apprentice
Apprentice
WiFi interference is certainly a component here but I don't believe it can be simply dismissed as such. Since realigning WiFi channels I have significantly reduced stuttering and pausing to the point where it rarely happens. Compression artifact for however remains largely untouched and is a significant issue for me.

I believe weak transmit power and/or error correction on the cameras is the primary root cause. I don't see how neighboring interference can be an issue when a WIFi scanner isn't picking up any other stations on the same channel or even adjacent channels.

My WiFi scanner will report signal quality in the high 90% range at one of my cameras but yet it sees significant artifacting at times. I'm certainly willing to work with support on this as well. I have another week or so before the return window expires so I'm going to wait it out a little longer.
underdog2003
Star
Star

My two cents. Customers shouldn't have to spend countless hours of their time running various diagnostics to get $200 (don't forget tax) cameras to work that were advertised as being able to work just fine with 'old' Arlo base systems. These cameras should work out of the box just like the old cameras worked. This is not a wifi issue, as has been stated in previous posts for reasons already stated. If in fact it is an issue running new cameras with old bases than at best they made a false claim with their advertising and should either own it with a press release with specifics on how they plan to fix it, or give us a refund if we choose. They shouldn't issue out generic statements like they did with me saying they 'found the issue was with the hardware of the camera' and then send out a replacement camera that is even worse than the 'defective' one.

Not everyone will have the ability to make returns to wherever they purchased their add on cameras from. I wouldn't have been able to under normal non-holiday circumstances, but with Best Buy they offer extended return times for holiday season purchases. My original pro camera seemed to be working fine for the first week or so and then started pixelating and ghosting shortly thereafter. I accepted the initial pixelations at that time as maybe due to wifi interference, but shortly afterward the issue got progressively worse to the point of it being worthless. The normal return window for electronics to best buy is 15 days. I would have been stuck in this frustrating cycle had i not had the option of returning it.

Look, sometimes things happen, but in the end we as consumers want to feel that when we spend our hard earned dollars on a product that turns out to have major issues, the company will do their best to make things right and be forthright and honest with their assesment and plan to fix the issue. Whether that means offering refunds, or, coming clean if the issue was a big oversight on their part and letting us know that the issue has been identified and will be fixed. AND, telling us what that issue truly is, since a lot of consumers of these type products have some background in IT and CCTV products.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
After looking at the videos in this thread I can say I don't have any of these problems with my system I have the Arlo Pro 3 cameras.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Don't forget that WiFi isn't the only source of interference. Anything else on the 2.4GHz band, including cordless phones and microwave ovens, can be an issue.
Roostertime
Apprentice
Apprentice

yes but it worked fine for about one hour and then drops the connection. also it was set up inside about 3 feet from where it is now and stayed on line for several days.

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
People still use cordless phones? Lol
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I'm curious if anyone has noticed the pixilation happening on specific areas of the camera?? I ask because I was watching a clip of my dogs running quite fast and I could see one quick spot where it glitched, and then my second ran around and it only glitched in the same exact spot where the first dog glitched. My glitches have been so minor though I haven't bothered troubleshooting yet.
robsss
Star
Star

Just to start fresh yesterday I recharged the batteries in both of my Alro Pro Cameras. I pulled the batteries to get the cameras to reboot and also rebooted my hub and Powerline Ethernet adapter. I also switched my cameras around and the results seem to be worse.

Here is a video from yesterday from a non Arlo Pro camera (looks good with no issues):

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/4E4B85299DDEC5DD_201701

Here is a video from today with the Arlo Pro camera (looks bad):

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/2593E09DA622FB13_201701

Only change was taking the old camera off the magnetic mount and replacing with the Pro.

While we can debate network interference and other issues, there is something wrong with the new cameras.

Maybe I should post the video at Amazon and Best Buy to alert potential users of this problem.

Memcor77
Guide
Guide
@robsss u probably should post them to let potential buyer know that it's not worth it. When the Pro's were first released the video was fine, it only started to mess up after the first firmware update
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
That problem happens with you ..it doesn't happen with my system I have the 3 camera arlo pro
robsss
Star
Star

@Johnny290 - I am glad your cameras are working fine. I can only report on the results I and other people are seeing. The video does not lie. It speaks for itself.

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Robsss: You need to salt your sidewalk, LOL. On topic, i would return those Pro's if you can, your old Arlo's look way better which shouldn't be the case.

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Memor77: That is very interesting that you mentioned this started after a firmware change.

To the other guy, Robsss is NOT the only one experiencing this. I do too just not to his extreme.

Memcor77
Guide
Guide
Yes, I got mine when they first came out and it was perfect. Then the update came and it was to late to return them to the store. And the replacement that support sends you will do the same exact thing!
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Memcor77: That gives me some hope that maybe they can fix this in time then.

Memcor77
Guide
Guide
That's what I been waiting on. But might go back to the regular arlo till it's fixed.
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

My only concern is that they don't see this as an actual problem. I think i read ealier that a rep or a superuser said it sounded like wifi interference...so if they think that, they won't dedicate resources to fix the actual issue?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Interference isn't something that can be fixed with hardware or software since it's unique to the installation. While it may or may not be interference, it's one of many things that has to be considered. As for whether it's either hard- or software, I can state that my 2 Pro cameras have not had a change in operation with the latest firmware, app or browser interface. It well could be your specific hardware or, again, it could be something to do with your environment. Only testing can tell by doing things like pondering what could be 2.4GHz interference, obstacles in the path between the base and cameras, a particular camera in a particular place, etc. I'm not discounting your issues but it's not every camera in every place.
robsss
Star
Star

@ jguerdat - I never said it affects all cameras and I also agree it can be numerous factors that are causing the issue. I am going to continue troubleshooting over the weekend. My brother has another set of 4 Alro Pro cameras and I am going to borrow them to see if I have the same issue with other cameras.

I am approaching this issue with 20+ years of system admin/networking experience and trying to figure out what is wrong in a scientific manner.

At this point the only FACT I have is that my original Arlo cameras work fine and if I replace them with an Arlo Pro camera, the Alro Pro cameras provide pixilated video.

AUTX
Star
Star

This is now affecting me.  I noticed it on both my cameras - started yesterday (temp dropped to 30's from 80's).  The tiling, ghosting doesn't happen all the time, only sporadically.  One camera battery is at 28% and the other is at 45%.  Not sure what is causing this but add me to the list of folks that are currently suffering.  Man Sad

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/73AF546E376691B4_201701

Slono
Guide
Guide

Amongst many other instances, here's a sample of my pixelation occurence with the brand new Arlo Pros I have.