Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Phone disppears in Geofencing

Reply
Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 4850 Views
  • 5 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
MooMooCow
Tutor
Tutor

Hi guys,

I just set up the Arlo Pro unit and enabled Geofencing on three different phones.  The two Android devices I have are showing up fine, but the iPhone 7 isn't showing up under the Enabled Devices list.  It shows up for a second, but quickly disappears.  I've tried reinstalling the Arlo app on the iPhone and restarting the base unit.  On the off chance the iPhone sticks around on the Enabled Devices list for me to read the status of it, it's showing up as Unavalible and then will quickly disappear from the list.  I'm signing in as the primary account holder on the iPhone while the two Android devices are using their own distintic signins if that makes any difference.  Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
NiNiNi
Star
Star

Update! The issue is fixed (for me!)

It was due to the name of my phone having an apostrope! Thanks to Moderator James C for suggesting the fix.

on iOS, just go to Settings - General - About to change your name.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Dn2015
Guide
Guide
I also have this problem with two iPhones. One keeps disappearing.
Lewis87
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem here with an iPhone 7 on latest ios.  iPad is fine and my android is fine

MooMooCow
Tutor
Tutor

I'm still on 10.3.3, so it doesn't look like the problem is localized to the latest iOS.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you see this behavior when connected to WiFi or mobile data? Is there any difference depending on which you are connected to?

 

JamesC

Lewis87
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC wrote:

Do you see this behavior when connected to WiFi or mobile data? Is there any difference depending on which you are connected to?

 

JamesC


This happens with both WiFi and Mobile Data,

NiNiNi
Star
Star
MooMooCow
Tutor
Tutor

I've tried both wifi and mobile connections.  Multiple different wifi connections all result in the iPhone disappearing after 2-3 seconds.

ryanhall66
Tutor
Tutor

I'm having the same issue.  My GF has the 'main' account and then the house is shared with me.  We both use iPhones and when I go into her arlo app on the iphone, in geofence, her phone shows up for just a second, then disappears while I can still see my phone listed.  I just swapped out some older dlink cameras for the arlo pros last week so I'm still in setup mode, but proved that her geofence was NOT working yesterday because it was recording her while I was away with the kids.  I'm adding on to this post in hopes that we get a resolution.  As far as the iphones, I'm on ios 11 and she's on ios 10

T369
Star
Star

I guess some of us are not as lucky. Neither mine or my wife's iPhones show up. Of course, I've opened a ticket with Netgear support, but they've not gotten back to me at all.

GTunney
Apprentice
Apprentice

Netgear haven't even acknowledged there is a problem yet despite about 10 different posts on the forums of people have the same issue.

 

It's been logged now for over 5 weeks and still no one from Netgear has come forward and said, we are aware or we are looking into it. 

 

Absolutely appauling.

NiNiNi
Star
Star

I made a video showcasing this issue - as well as detailing a work around (not a perfect one)

check it out. Mods. Plz respond!

 

NiNiNi
Star
Star

Update! The issue is fixed (for me!)

It was due to the name of my phone having an apostrope! Thanks to Moderator James C for suggesting the fix.

on iOS, just go to Settings - General - About to change your name.

Dn2015
Guide
Guide
Thanks. I can confirm that changing phone name workaround works for me as well on iPhone. Phone no longer disappears from device list. 👍

It still says unavailable for one phone though. Was anybody able to get "in zone" for both devices?
rrogan
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same here. Removed the apostrophe from the phone name and it added fine! Good find!
ryanhall66
Tutor
Tutor

So that's an interesting work around, but I don't think this solves for the bug.  I say that because I have 2 iphones and 1 ipad on my system.  All 3 devices had an apostrophe, but only the main account device was dropping off.  Im still goint to play around with it, but if the bug were purely being caused by that character, then it should have also killed off my other 2 devices until the work around was applied.  

 

Bugs in code behave just as predictably as normal code, its just a metter of learning all the aspects of the bug.

sAdam
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can’t believe that worked. You’re awesome..
2 calls to support and told both times it’s a known issue to be fixed by an update with no eta.
Now to see if geofencing actually arms and disarms as intended.
They just released the pro 2 so expect whatever minimal support there was for earlier products to disappear.

ryanhall66
Tutor
Tutor

So taking the apostrophe out of my gf’s phone stopped it from disappearing, but now it is showing her as unavailable.  I double checked and cycled locations services, but it doesn’t pick up.  

sAdam
Aspirant
Aspirant
Try disabling her phone in geofencing, enabled devices. Click save, then done.
Then go back in and renable her phone .
ryanhall66
Tutor
Tutor

So that worked, the disable save and reenable.  From my POV it still appears to deal with the primary device on the account because the secondary accounts on our system have the apostrophe and still work.  Thanks for all the assistance.