Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
mjarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought ARLO Pro Wirefree 4 cam system yesterday. The install is fast, good and it does what I expected it to do except a few things I didn't like:

1) The video quality doesn't look as great as I had expected. I set the quality to 'best" in settings but still it doesnt look 720p.

2) I needed an outdoor system to monitor my front yard (approx 150 ft WxL) and backyard  (approx 100ft WideXLong)for wildlife and intruders. I have noticed that the motion sensing doesn't work beyond 15-20 ft. Is there a cheaper way to extend range rather than installing more cameras and paying mothly fees? The current range is useless for me. I just want the cam to trigged when anythings comes within my backyard or frontyard. If I could set up aditional motion sensors at different places in the yard to trigger my cameras, that would be great addition and solves the issue. 

3) The video capture starts almost 4-5 seconds after motion trigger. The footage isn't live actually and there is a delay of 5 seconds. Is there a way to fix this?

I am evaluating one more wireless cam system this week to see if that works better.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

#1 )Prettty clear to me..its 720 ( picture may not show till approved )

#2 ) for people, the max range is about 20 ft...thats it.  Other have requested stan alone sensors, but they are not available.

#3 ) The trigger response is usu vey good on the Pro model... Sometimes the lag can be there if you datea thru put is to low... don't know why your seeing that much lag from the trigger evernt to record as the Pro has a small internal buffer to capture quicker

Do you know the transfer rate you have?

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

#1 )Prettty clear to me..its 720 ( picture may not show till approved )

#2 ) for people, the max range is about 20 ft...thats it.  Other have requested stan alone sensors, but they are not available.

#3 ) The trigger response is usu vey good on the Pro model... Sometimes the lag can be there if you datea thru put is to low... don't know why your seeing that much lag from the trigger evernt to record as the Pro has a small internal buffer to capture quicker

Do you know the transfer rate you have?

Morse is faster than texting!
mjarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there a way to get any other IFTTT motion sensors to work with ARLO? Can the cameras be triggered by extenal event via a text,email,etc.?

How do I check cam throughput here? (if thats what you meant?)

tinokremer
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm using IFTTT the other way around. When some of my Arlo camera's detect motion, a WeMo switch is switched ON to sound an alarm in my house.

I checked for you, you can have IFTTT trigger a "Start Recording". So if you have a motion sensor that works with IFTTT, you could set it up to record video that way.

You cannot test the througput from the camera system as far as I know, but you can run Speedtest on your computer. It shows at least the speed your computer is able to get on your internet connection.

mjarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

--> I checked for you, you can have IFTTT trigger a "Start Recording". So if you have a motion sensor that works with IFTTT, you could set it up to record video that way.

Is there an option in Settings page to trigger cam via IFTTT ? how to locate it?

My internet speed is good. 250mbps downlink / 15 mbps uplink.

tinokremer
Apprentice
Apprentice

No, it's the other way around. You can setup an IFTTT recipe which can "Start recording" on the Arlo channel.

mjarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

How does the interface looks like on arlo side?

tinokremer
Apprentice
Apprentice

There is no "Arlo side". You configure everything on IFTTT. If you have some kind of motion sensor that is able to work as a trigger in IFTTT, you can set your IFTTT recipe to "Start recording" your Arlo camera. In IFTTT the "THAT" (action) looks like:

arlo start recording.PNG