Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Outdoor camera range for Arlo Pro is not good with 250 feet from house

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
AlainVillemure
Follower
Follower

I own an Arlo pro system with a base station and my intent was to use one of the camera to monitor my gate which is about 250 feet from the house. Unfortunately I can not get a good and constant connection even though the spec is 300 feet. I have tried to bring the base station as close as possible and even moved just outside the house with it but the communication was still spotty.

I beleive that you should offer a bridge or an Ethernet hard wired camera model (with two way voice communication) to make sure you have an option for thsi type or similar application.

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

the spc is "up to 300 feet" which is true for any 2,4GHz WiFi system. Reality bites, though, with many real life issues causing the distance to be even single or low double digit feet. In theory, the 300 feet would be open air between base and camera with absolutely no other 2.4GHz devices to interfere with it. Others have found a more realistic value to be 150-ish feet but that's on a very small sample.

The best you can do is to move the base as close as possible with as few obstacles in the path as possible. An Arlo Go camera uses cell service so there's no WiFi restriction. Depends on what you need and your data plan.