Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 28 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Darkknight3008
Guide
Guide

None of the camera recording motion and showing up in the library, Stopped working since August 28th.

Base station model is VMB4000r3, which qualifies for free 7 day motion detection.

Did something change with arlo subscription plans?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
teacherfriend
Tutor
Tutor

Success!!! I removed device (base station), reinstalled. (It took a couple of minutes while it installed new shareware) Shut down. Restarted. Armed all devices, and miraculously, all cameras are working and recording as usual. Yay! 

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Darkknight3008 wrote:

No, but we have seen a couple of posts related to recording issues for folks with 7-day cloud storage.  Hopefully that will be clarified soon.

@Darkknight3008 wrote:

Base station model is VMB4000r3, which qualifies for free 7 day motion detection.

No, the base doesn't actually qualify for anything.  The cameras are what matter, not what bases they are connected to. 

All newer cameras (starting with the Ultra in 2018) require a subscription to get cloud storage.  If you connect the Ultra (or an Pro 3, Pro 4, or Essential) to VMB4000, you would still need a subscription. 

Older cameras (Pro, Pro 2 among others) have the 7-day storage even if they are connected to a smarthub.  There is (and always has been) a limit of 5 unsubscribed cameras per account to get the free cloud storage on these cameras.

Also, motion detection is available for free with all cameras. Cloud storage is what costs.  

@Darkknight3008 wrote:

None of the camera recording motion and showing up in the library, Stopped working since August 28th.

Can you double-check if you can make a manual recording while livestreaming the camera?  My guess is that you can - and if that is the case, there is something very wrong (perhaps in the Arlo Cloud) that needs to be fixed.

DeiterB
Tutor
Tutor
No recordings since 8/28/22 for me as well. Base: VBM4000r3 latest firmware, connected to a 1 TB WD external hard drive. I can manually record and the utility to test motion works fine. All 4 cameras are armed and no motion detected. This set up has worked flawlessly since installing in 2017.
Darkknight3008
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the detailed reply. Yes I am able to record manually. 

You are right, I have older cameras  and only 4 of them.

@StephenB wrote:

@Darkknight3008 wrote:

No, but we have seen a couple of posts related to recording issues for folks with 7-day cloud storage.  Hopefully that will be clarified soon.

@Darkknight3008 wrote:

No, the base doesn't actually qualify for anything.  The cameras are what matter, not what bases they are connected to. 

All newer cameras (starting with the Ultra in 2018) require a subscription to get cloud storage.  If you connect the Ultra (or an Pro 3, Pro 4, or Essential) to VMB4000, you would still need a subscription. 

Older cameras (Pro, Pro 2 among others) have the 7-day storage even if they are connected to a smarthub.  There is (and always has been) a limit of 5 unsubscribed cameras per account to get the free cloud storage on these cameras.

Also, motion detection is available for free with all cameras. Cloud storage is what costs.  

@Darkknight3008 wrote:

Can you double-check if you can make a manual recording while livestreaming the camera?  My guess is that you can - and if that is the case, there is something very wrong (perhaps in the Arlo Cloud) that needs to be fixed.

Darkknight3008
Guide
Guide

@DeiterB wrote:
No recordings since 8/28/22 for me as well. Base: VBM4000r3 latest firmware, connected to a 1 TB WD external hard drive. I can manually record and the utility to test motion works fine. All 4 cameras are armed and no motion detected. This set up has worked flawlessly since installing in 2017.

Yes exactly the same issue for me, worked flawlessly since 2017 🙂 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ShayneS , @JamesC :

Is Arlo investigating these?  We're seeing several users reporting this problem.

DeiterB
Tutor
Tutor
Not certain they are. I’m posting here to add additional awareness. Presently I’m still not seeing recorded events on any of my cameras. 9/1/22 7:24 am
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DeiterB wrote:
Not certain they are. I’m posting here to add additional awareness.

Me either, which is why I tagged the mods.

teacherfriend
Tutor
Tutor
Same here. Stopped recording on August 28. I only have 4 Arlo Pro cameras so don’t require a subscription. Any news?
DeiterB
Tutor
Tutor

Unfortunately no. My understanding is the Moderators have been tagged in hopes to increase awareness.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

If you reboot the base station and toggle the mode to "disarmed" and back to "armed", do you still experience the same behavior when trying to trigger a motion recording?

JamesC

DeiterB
Tutor
Tutor

I’ve rebooted the basestation, including power cycling.  Armed and disarmed, Pulled batteries on each camera etc.  nothing seems to work.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DeiterB,

I'm working with the dev team to try and understand the cause of this issue. Are you able to try the steps suggested above again now to see if you're still experiencing the behavior?

JamesC

DeiterB
Tutor
Tutor

I’m not home currently.  When I return this evening I’ll gladly give all the steps a try again.

DeiterB
Tutor
Tutor

JamesC,

I was able to restart my basestation from the app on my phone.  Immediately upon doing that a firmware update started loading.  Again I am not home so I can only confirm that the camera positioned at the front door is now recording events due to facing the road an randomly picking up traffic in the street.  When I return home in roughly 45 minutes I will confirm that all cameras are functioning.  Thanks for the help!!!

DeiterB
Tutor
Tutor

JamesC,

I’m now home and have passed by each of my 4 cameras and all are now registering events and recording to my external hard drive.  I’m extremely greatful for your assistance.  Thank you

Deiterb

jroseberry
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also have the same issue.  I have an Arlo Pro 2 and motion detection stopped working on 08/29.  Please address.

Thanks,

Justin

Darkknight3008
Guide
Guide

Didnt work for me.

@JamesC wrote:

DeiterB,

I'm working with the dev team to try and understand the cause of this issue. Are you able to try the steps suggested above again now to see if you're still experiencing the behavior?

JamesC

teacherfriend
Tutor
Tutor

I’ve tried rebooting, using the mobile app, using the web site…pretty much everything everyone has tried. Any other suggestions?

teacherfriend
Tutor
Tutor

Success!!! I removed device (base station), reinstalled. (It took a couple of minutes while it installed new shareware) Shut down. Restarted. Armed all devices, and miraculously, all cameras are working and recording as usual. Yay! 

Darkknight3008
Guide
Guide

@teacherfriend wrote:

This worked for me, what a pain. Had to remove the base station and all the cameras back and also the 3rd party integrations like HomeKit needs to be updated

halfwalker
Guide
Guide

Not quite sure what's going on here ...  I've had an Arlo setup for several years now, a Base Station with 5 Arlo Pro cameras.  The free plan has been perfect, 5 cameras uploading to cloud, rolling 7-day.

That appears to have stopped as of 2022-08-29 - last uploads were from the 28th.

Per the "No Plan" information here

https://kb.arlo.com/88/What-are-the-available-Arlo-subscription-plans-and-how-much-cloud-recording-i...

that 5-camera 7-day deal should still be active.

Also, here it specifically re-iterates that

https://kb.arlo.com/000062312/What-options-will-I-have-when-the-Arlo-trial-ends

If you have one of the following cameras you will continue to have all the benefits that were included with the purchase of your camera. This includes free rolling 7-day Cloud Recording on up to 5 cameras.

• Arlo Wire-Free
  • Arlo Pro
  • Arlo Pro 2
  • Arlo Go
  • Arlo Q
  • Arlo Q Plus
  • Arlo Baby

Sooo, any ideas what there are no uploads ?  I've checked with the Support chatbot, but that helpfully says

After reviewing your account, it appears that you are not entitled to live agent support. However, you can utilize any of the self-support options available to you including this chat bot, the Arlo Community, and the Arlo support site where you can find how-to articles and videos.

Not exactly helpful, and this is after a bunch of searching ...

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

halfwalker,

We're currently investigating reports of this issue. No changes have been made to the legacy 7 day cloud storage option for Pro and Pro 2 cameras.

Consider removing power from your base station, reapply power, allow the base station to come back online and then test again. Please let me know if you continue to experience an issue.

JamesC

halfwalker
Guide
Guide

James - thanks for the fast reply !

Already power-cycled the base-station a couple of times.  No joy.  Everything seems to be fine, all cameras accessible etc.  The only thing I've noticed (possible because I haven't been in the Device list in AGES) is the base-station has a red wifi icon on it

halfwalker_0-1662143592390.png

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

halfwalker,

Try power cycling again. The base station should update firmware and may reboot again on it's own after the restart. You can then test to see if you're still experiencing the same behavior.

JamesC