Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

No ReadyNAS or Google Drive, Local Only Storage?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Diver4242
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just bought and installed the 3-camera Arlo Pro system. Is the only option for storage a *mandatory* subscription to cloud storage to Netgear? I already have a NetGear ReadyNAS on my home network and also pay for Google Drive storage. I'm not going for some vendor-lock-in scam where I have to pay for cloud storage for these. Does this system work with BlueIris? If none of these are solutions, it goes back to Costco this weekend. It should be clear on the box that it requires a cloud subscription. I thought at least we could do local USB only.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
brh
Master
Master

@Diver4242

All triggered videos and any videos you manually record will stay available for 7 days giving you plenty of time to store them, then after 7 days they disappear.. This free storage plan is indefinite for as long as you use your system. If you plug in some reasonably sized flash drives or hard drives into the USB slots in the Pro base station all the videos will be both saved to them and be recorded to the cloud. Someone could steal your base unit thus causing you to lose all stored videos, so save the important videos to your phone or computer as a third way to have saved videos.

Brian

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's not a scam - it's actually rather unusual to be able to store the videos for free for 7 days. No, you can't automatically store them locally other than on a USB device attached to the Pro base. Alternatively, I use a Python script to download all videos which can be set up to store where you like. PM me if you would like it.

brh
Master
Master

@Diver4242

Firstly, you pay nothing for cloud storage with Arlo for the first 5 cameras with 7 day storage. That is not the case with other systems, as most, after a 30 day trial will charge you for every camera Thus it is free for most people that will only purchase two to three cameras.Seondly, when you do need cloud storage, (you exceed 5 cameras), you can often get the additional storage at half price, ($4.99/month for 10 cameras). That is the cheapest cloud storage from any of the major manuacturers that I am aware of.

Cloud storage for every video is the way Arlo works and the cloud storage is part of their revenue stream. But as an extra protection for you the Pro base has two slots for backup storage with each port being able to support up to 2TB.

Brian

Diver4242
Aspirant
Aspirant

Maybe I got the 7 day storage thing wrong. I thought it meant that I only have a 'trial' 7 day use of the cloud storage. Does it mean that I can use it indefinitely, but my videos are only available for 7 days, i.e they fall off on day 8? If so, that's acceptable to me. Is it only triggered video or any video that I want to review for the past 7 days from while the cameras are armed (or not armed?)

brh
Master
Master

@Diver4242

All triggered videos and any videos you manually record will stay available for 7 days giving you plenty of time to store them, then after 7 days they disappear.. This free storage plan is indefinite for as long as you use your system. If you plug in some reasonably sized flash drives or hard drives into the USB slots in the Pro base station all the videos will be both saved to them and be recorded to the cloud. Someone could steal your base unit thus causing you to lose all stored videos, so save the important videos to your phone or computer as a third way to have saved videos.

Brian

Diver4242
Aspirant
Aspirant

Alright, that's better. I can continue to use it indefinitely without paying a subscription as long as I'm under 5 cameras and  save videos before they drop off if I need them. Netgear should definitely make Arlo compatible with their own ReadyNAS storage that customers have already invested in. That part is rather shocking.