Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

No HD, Arlo Pro Smart Security System (VMS4330)

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
MadAstronaut117
Aspirant
Aspirant

Why is my Arlo Pro not playing/recording in HD? I bought this system because I need a real HD security camera, but on the "Best Video" setting I cant even read a license plate from 10 feet away.

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Pro is 720 ( and yes the low end of HD ) but also wide angle of 130d...

It was not design to pick up plates which does require some special requirements ..esp if moving

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
MadAstronaut117
Aspirant
Aspirant

great so I have 130 degrees of not HD. this is a license plate....at 9.1 feet. your telling me that this is marketed as an "HD" cam that cant read a licensce plate at 9 feet while not moving. but its suposed to be a security cam. a security cam that cant read plates, really dude?

IMG_0687.jpg

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Apparently you don't understand the technology and the implementation.  

720p is <1 megapixel.  My first digital camera had similar resolution back in 1996.  My 5 year old digital camera has 21 megapixels.  Which one is going to show more detail?  1080p is still only 2Mp.

130 degree angle of view is roughly equivalent to a 10m fisheye lens in 35mm camera-speak. Download an image from the Internet from a fisheye lens and try zooming in on it.

And then there's the compression which lowers the apparent resolution.  I do have an issue with how much compression is used in these cameras but until something is changed it is what it is.

silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Even if it was 1080p your still not going to read license plates as they are very reflective at night with the IR . 720 and 1080p are not that much difference. So unless you want to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on a system to read license plates it's not going to happen, I have seen very expensive systems and even those have trouble seeing plates unless the area is really lit up with lighting. As I said license plates are very hard to pick up due to the reflection of the plates with the IR.