Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Record Until activity stops is this still not working right?

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Solosheep
Guide
Guide

Hello

First ime poster so please be kind 🙂

I recently set up the camera to record my front door and I set up the option to "Record Until activity stops" . However this does not seem to be working. I read another forum post from 2016 that said this was on testing is this still the case?

It will record a person approaching the door approx 6 seconds then stop. It will then record them walking away. During this time they have not stopped moving so I don't understand why I get two separate recordings. Also If I leave the front it picks me up but then stops as i'm locking the door and then walk away. I'm still moving so I don't understand.

IMG_3192.PNG

IMG_3193.PNG

I have updated the firmware on both the Pro base station and the camera.

The other thing I have noticed is that the camera misses the first 2-3 seconds of movement I guess this is because it needs to connect to the cloud (im on fiber) can I connect a USB stick to the hub and remove this lag? I did see another topic about zooming in the camera which I have done and this has improved it a little but still not great.

Thanks in advance

13 REPLIES 13
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The has been acting up now and then for a while... I recommend if it isn't working for you to just pick a set time and use that.... say 60 secs ( what ever fits your needs ).

Put in a notice to Netgear to let them know.

Lag on the Pro is usu pretty short, the Arlos can be 2 sec+ but testing on the Pros make it much less.... Placement seems to be more of the key.

Your thru put only if slow can effect this... but the cams can not be speeded up by the usb drive as it it cloud base ( tho the usb drive does provide backup of the same file that go to the cloud )

I would try it on a fixed time and try to increase you sense level a point or two at a time ( slowly )  till you get better response without false triggers.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Solosheep
Guide
Guide

Hi TomMac

Thanks for the quick reply. I have sent Netgear support a note. If this acting up would this not affect all users and not just some? If I was to set it to a strict record time would this not reduce the battery level? Also how long would it take for the camera to "kick" back in again after those 60's

So based on my placement what would you recommend so I I still get the drive way in and the path. As I said I have zoomed in my first setup was this without zoom and I was only getting people as they walked past down the street. As you can see it missed the postman and only recoreded when he was nearly out of shot.

IMG_3196.PNG

I'm not sure what you mean by "Thru put" I have true 52MBPS Fiber so I dont think my internet speed is an issue.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Can say this " record till activity" question has been asked before, but no real answer IMO to the problem... ( personally , i rather see multi snapshots over this option )

The thru-put thing was as you mentioned, it wouldn't  effect u...it only makes a diff sometimes if you data feed is very low like < 2mbs .

Battery usage ,  is of course increased with more recording...so pick you time to your needs.. I pick 20 secs but that may not work for you ( I get 3 months ).. that is why you want to eliminate false triggers that waste power.

( can't see pic yet till approved )

Reset time from on recording to the next is aprox 7-10sec ( it varies user to user but never more than about 10 or so )

The Pics I did see look like they would function ok... Just pick a min amount of record time and SLOWLY change the sense level with testing between changes, after the sense level works well, change your record time to needs ( play mailman , etc )

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The big thing I see is the distance. The closer the subject the more likely you'll get continuous recording. If something barely triggers the camera it will only re order minimally. I tested it to about 15 feet in my particular view. The exact distance will depend on various things so test for best operation or switch to a timed recording as Tom suggests.
Solosheep
Guide
Guide

Hi Jguerdat

Thanks for your reply so I have been busy today moving the cameras. I have two One Alro and One Arlo Pro so I moved the Pro to the otherside of the house and set it to sensitivity of 80% but dont really understand what that really means and set it to 30seconds of recording and this seems to be working well. Picture below.

IMG_3199.PNG

However the Alro which I have now placed over the drive does not seem to pick up the path when a person is on it. It will pick up the road when a car drives past ( i assume becuase of the size) I have set the sensitivity at 100%. But saying this it did not pick up the RED car when it parked. How can I get this to work and pick up the path? The picture you see below should have shown the women coming to my door as the garge is to the right but it did not pick any recordings.

IMG_3200.PNG

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't see the images yet since they have to be approved.

The sensitivity setting just allows you to vary when the PIR detectors will trigger due to motion.  80% is more sensitive than 70% but less so than 90%.  Trial and error is needed to minimize false triggers while still getting the action you need.

Solosheep
Guide
Guide

ok thanks for that. I understood that 70% is less than 80% but what is that in terms of movement I guess.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Solosheep wrote:

ok thanks for that. I understood that 70% is less than 80% but what is that in terms of movement I guess.

depends on the size ( IR signature ) of the object.... that's why I tell most users to NOT cover roadways if able, as car are large reflectors of IR and can be picked up even if not wanted

Solosheep
Guide
Guide

I'm trying to avoid the road but in the UK it's hard as we have very small streets. Anyway right now my GF pulled in with her car past the Arlo then backing up. Alro did not detect any of this only when she got out of the car and then not till she was under the camera. Do you think I have a faulty camera?

picture below 

IMG_3201.PNG

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Two issues.

1) Motion is primarily directly at the camera.  Best detection is side to side.  Mount the camera on fence or wall which will help eliminate #2.

2) Rotate the camera down so the street isn't visible.

Solosheep
Guide
Guide
So my position is not good then? I just arrived back home tonight and again the Arlo did not pick me up until I got out of the car the Pro however did catch a little.

If I angle the camera down more I will miss the pavement and this any one walking side to side

My walls are also getting a lot of holes lol
Solosheep
Guide
Guide
The fence is not very high and the camera could be stolen
Solosheep
Guide
Guide
I will post my new positions up soon for your comments it would be really useful