Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 69 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 11 In Conversation
trebor711
Luminary
Luminary

You guys did it again.  On the last update the alarm was very low when initiated via the mobile app.  Now, on this latest app, there is NO ALARM when initiated thru the mobile app or the web.  You guys really screwed up this time!!  Please fix this ASAP.  And please, in the future, test your updates before you released them to the public.

69 REPLIES 69
mikepwagner
Guide
Guide

I added three cameras this afternoon, and added a new mode to active the siren if anyone of those cameras detected motion or sound.

It took a fair amount of experimentation, and at one point, the siren stopped working.

Now, even if I manually activate the siren, it says the siren is, but the siren is not malking any noise.

I tried restarting the base station, and that apparently did not fix the issue.

Mike

mikepwagner
Guide
Guide
Unplugging the base station and plugging it back in worked.
Dannybear
Master
Master
I observed yesterday that an unintended entry occurred that should have triggered the base station siren.

After reading mike’s post
I tried to activate it manually but no sound is emitted regardless of several attempts. The App says it should be screaming.
Doing a software restart has no effect on behaviour.
Doing a power cycle of the base has restored correct operation.
Dannybear
Master
Master
I am saddened to say that the siren failed to work again when required. I tested it manually and just got silence. Restart of the base got it working again. Looks like it behaves the same as the time zone issue everyone is getting. Will check it before and after midnight NYC time to see if it gets broken again.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If it's a hardware problem, only opening a case will get an RMA:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

Dannybear
Master
Master
@jguerdat
You could be right, with all that’s been occurring post the last few firmware updates gives me a bad feeling that the NAND Flash block memory in the base is continually being damaged.
It is a shame since most of my ten functionality issues have since been resolved with this last base firmware update. This siren issue is a new one though.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Ok, tested the siren again this morning and could not get it to sound. Both iOS App and web portal says it should be screaming but just silence.
Tried the restart function and comes back with a error related to the camera device is busy. Had to power cycle to get the siren to work again.
Will check it again in an hour to see how long it takes to go bad again.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Ok, it’s been 10 hours since the last base power cycle and the siren has stopped working. Tested each hour and was ok until now.
Tried to restart the base from the app several times but again no joy, app says the base has restarted but the base LEDs show normal operation and app then shows base is normal. Power cycle restored the siren correct operation. Restart of base also now working correctly.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sounds like a wonky base to me. Open that case with support:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @trebor711

Are you still experiencing this? I was not able to reproduce the issue as you described.

Dannybear
Master
Master
@jguerdat
Yes the base behaviour does suggest it’s wonky or at least the firmware in it. As it only started after the last base update and that others are having same experience also I will wait out for the next release. I see no value with contacting support since my last correspondence indicated to me that my case was redirected to the appropriate department which in layman’s terms means the waste bin.
mikepwagner
Guide
Guide
How do I open a support ticket?

We just tested it again. When someone walks in those rooms, the cameras detect the motion correctly, and the app says the siren is activated and gives me the button to turn it off, but there is no sound.

I think that I need to open a ticket.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Take a look at the support link in message 9 of this thread provided by jguerdat.
I suggest you go straight down towards the bottom of the page to the phone number drop down list for you country. Make sure you get a case number assigned to you.
mikepwagner
Guide
Guide
I called support - they worked with me for an hour trying to get the base station to reset successfully, and it never did.

So they gave me an RMA number, and they will replace the base unit.

That all went pretty well by my standards.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Suggest that you get confirmation that they will send you the return label postage at their cost and not yours.
mikepwagner
Guide
Guide

I seleced an option where the ship me a replacement Base System and a shipping label, then I ship the defective unit back. All of that cost me $16.90. Annoying,  but I guess I don't care.

The web inteface was wierd - I got to the point where I entered my credit card info and entered all of that an pushed the "Place your order" button. After that processing, it said "close this window and click Submit to complete your order."  When I followed the instrcutions, it re-opened the credit card window. I thought that maybe I had messed up, so I tried again, with the same result.

At any rate, I checked with my credit card and the $16.90 showed up, so I guess the order went though - maybe I will get some email tomorrow.

Dannybear
Master
Master
Well I have been restarting my base station hourly to see when it fails to restart and sure enough it failed right after midnight L.A. time. So I wonder who’s base I have been restarting all these times it fails I wonder.
mikepwagner
Guide
Guide
Does anyone know the email address for customer support at arlo?

My credit card has two pending charges for the RMA swap I chose, but support told me that the RMA has not been initiated,

They told me to email them a screen shot of the charges, and I thought the email that they told me was customer@arlo.com, but that email just bounced.

I like the product a lot, but the customer support seems to be very time consuming.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @mikepwagner

You can contact Customer Support at anytime & provide them with your RMA number or Case number. They will be able to look in to any potential issues.

Dannybear
Master
Master
Just an update on Arlo Base Station firmware VMB4000 - 1.12.2.2_2754

I am still having the same siren not sounding issue as before after the base station lockups.
CLangley
Star
Star

Like the others here, my alarm siren is not working. I tried repeatedly to manually trigger the alarm after numerous motion alerts, but no sound came despite saying the alarm was ringing. This is located at my holiday home, so I am unable to recycle the power. Restarting the base unit seems to make no difference.

Pity Arlo support cannot be more open and communicative with their customers. What was a good and reliable system is becoming increasingly problematic and unreliable - not what one wants with security, especially after spending significant money on it. Becoming increasingly disatisfied with this Arlo system.

mikepwagner
Guide
Guide
Yeah, I had to power cycle mine. The restart did nothing from what I could tell.

It may be worth noting that the motion detect and record worked just fine even when the cameras had the update message. I just couldn’t look at the cameras live.

There may be some internet controlled power strips you could plug the base system into - the kinds of things used to control lights.
trebor711
Luminary
Luminary

Shayne..

In a nutshell, I am still having this problem.  Since my post, there was a firmware update to both my cameras (4 of them) and base station.  Once the updated firmware was installed, I tested the alarm and it worked the way it was supposed to.....loud!!  However, before Arlo goes patting themselves on the back, a day later when I tested the alarm on both my Android app and a web based browser, the siren/alarm did not sound a peep.  The app says it is on, but it is silent!  To make matters worse, I am unable to see any still pictures when a notice is sent to my phone, but that's probably for another post.

I have reset my base station and nothing seems to work.  The firmware version is: 1.12.2.2_2754  Hardware is: VMB4000r3

PLEASE HELP.  Having a system that I cannot trigger an alam when I need to serves me NO GOOD!!!

Dannybear
Master
Master
I have been monitoring for the return of this issue since my last post and can say that it hasn’t appeared again. I know it’s early days but has anyone observed a similar effect?

I may have missed the base going offline but usually the siren falls over after it happens suggesting it may have stopped occurring also.
Maybe the base stations have finally finished repairing themselves. Ever hopeful.