Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Nighttime picture is clear in pan and zoom snapshot under video settings, but black in live stream

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
SecurityUser
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought the Arlo Pro today and was working fine until dusk. Now that it is dark out, the live stream is black. But, I can see the night picture fine in the Pan and Zoom snapshot. I have IR disabled, because the camera is facing out a window with a hood that is pressed to the glass to eliminate interior glare. There is no power or ethernet available in this site for the Arlo Q or the Plus. So, I need to use the Arlo Pro wire free camera here. I had this working fine with the older Arlo basic.

Yesterday, I purchased the Arlo basic version and this same setup worked fine at night in both live stream and snapshot. Today, I exchanged it for the Pro version and now I can't see at all at night with IR disabled. With IR enabled you get the IR glare reflecting back in the window.

BTW, I have a rule setup for an exterior Arlo Pro that has IR enabled to trigger this wireless camera with IR disabled.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SecurityUser
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, a few hours later the issue is fine. This seemed to be a temporary glitch with the software or cloud, possibly. All good now. Thanks.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes you can view thru glass, but neither the Arlo or PRO models will detect motion thru glass.

The glass stops most IR and the PIR device uses this to trigger a recording.

Put them outside and then u can also turn on the IR illuminators

As to the pan.zoom its s a static picture that must be refreshed if you want to really see how the pic looks at night

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
SecurityUser
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry, my issue is with the PRO versus the Arlo original. The Arlo original worked fine in this configuration. I use the latest iOS app and chrome on a PC, but I cannot see the picture at night in live stream or recordings in the PRO. The camera triggers fine when another exterior camera switches on the interior camera using a custom rule. But, the image is too dark. It seems the PRO camera is okay, because I can view a snapshot fine in video settings.

With the Arlo original, I could see fine at night in live streaming and snapshot with the same software. It seems like a software issue, because I can see at night on the Arlo PRO in the Video settings.

I tried increasing the brightness to max, but I didn't really see a distinguishable change using that feature on any of the cameras.

SecurityUser
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, a few hours later the issue is fine. This seemed to be a temporary glitch with the software or cloud, possibly. All good now. Thanks.

Port
Aspirant
Aspirant

Did you change any settings or did it fix itself?

Port
Aspirant
Aspirant

Mine still shows darkened view in live stream, but clear image in pan and zoom. Also how did you set rules for an outdoor trigger?

Thanks for any and all help.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Port,

Consider a base station reboot (using the on-off button). Allow the base station to come back online and try streaming your camera again. Do you get the same results?

JamesC

greenweenie
Star
Star

Help.... these are two pictures of my night vision - happening on 2 of my cameras

Screenshot (110).png

Live or recorded night vision not working

Screenshot (109).png

Snap shot OK

Port
Aspirant
Aspirant

Reboot base was no help. Swapped cameras, turned each camera on and off. Brightness does very little. Pan and Zoom image is fine. In live stream the image is so dark nothing is recognizeable. 

Could be software issue!

Any suggestions? 

reynoldswrap0
Star
Star
I would suggest walking yourself through that area to trigger a recording and see how it comes out. It could be possible that the IR isn't being cast when you're viewing live because it isn't detecting motion. Remember these are designed to use battery power only when needed. Perhaps when you take a snapshot the camera is firing a flash of IR for your shot. Hopefully this makes sense - just saying to try and recreate the condition you are actually hoping to capture to ensure it will work as expected.
When out by the fountain in person at night, watch for the IR LEDs to illuminate on the face of the camera. You'll see a faint red glow around the lens.
greenweenie
Star
Star

I had the motion and sound sensitivity set high last night and had 37 shots taken (raccoon activity as my hunting camera picked it up) - but the Pro clips were all black