Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
mailrail
Aspirant
Aspirant

Greetings! This is my first post. I have been looking at Arlo/Arlo Pro systems recently to replace the old, cumbersome Foscams I have in and around my home. I'll be happy to finally say, "Good Riddance" to those things. While searching for the best prices for an Arlo Pro system, I have seen folks selling the Pro base station (sans cameras) on eBay and it made me curious about something. The big knock on the older Arlos seem to be the batteries and the recording delay. Is the delay a symptom of the base or the camera itself? The old cameras are much cheaper (used or refurbished) and I really could care less about the audio and it seems that the battery concern is not what it used to be. So...would I be better off getting a new base + old cameras or just suck it up and buy a whole new system? Thanks and I look forward to joining the community and participating in the forums.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mailrail
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks guys. I actually saw that video a few days ago and I don't know why it didn't dawn on me that it had to be the cam and not the base. Duh. I appreciate your input on this matter. My mind is now made up...it's the Pro for me. Now...time to get rid of my Foscams on eBay.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
reynoldswrap0
Star
Star

To reiterate your own words, I'd "suck it up and buy a whole new system."  The new cameras use a rechargeable battery pack instead of 4 separate batteries (you'll either be going through lots of single-use ones or have to buy a charger for those anyway). The PIR detection on the new ones is supposed to be more advanced, and I like where the thread mount is located on the back instead of the bottom as well.

That being said, if you are especially cost-sensitive right now you might consider what you're thinking.  New base will give you the siren capability, and you can connect either generation of camera to it.  Comes down to hassle/convenience and what you want to pay for it, I think.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

PS... siren and local record option is avalable ONLY on the Pro base...

Also , Pro cams work just fine on the older Arlo base ( I'm doing it )... read the threads, make an informed decision that's best for you.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JohnnyCanuck1
Tutor
Tutor

There is a difference in the speed that the Arlo and Arlo Pro detects motion.  It's not due to the base but the cameras itself.

If you do a search of "Arlo vs." on Youtube, you should see a video with a side to side comparison of when the respective units start recording.

mailrail
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks guys. I actually saw that video a few days ago and I don't know why it didn't dawn on me that it had to be the cam and not the base. Duh. I appreciate your input on this matter. My mind is now made up...it's the Pro for me. Now...time to get rid of my Foscams on eBay.