Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Newbie Pro2 - Basic(free) subscription, using 6 cameras with only 5 activated at any one time

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
lite1
Apprentice
Apprentice

From other posts it seems that this is possible by manually deactivating say camera 4 and then activating camera 6 to switch from having cameras 1-5 active to then having cameras 1-4, & 6 active. Am I correct that activation in the app is easy AND that one does not need to synch the camera (again) to the Pro2 base? I am not likely to be activating and re-activating a camera frequently, but want to understand things before deciding on drilling holes in exterior and placing cameras.

ALSO, motion detection: I have a back door that is up a flight of stairs and wonder where to place camera. I understand that motion would be better detected if the camera is oblique to the direction of movement. Would it be best then to have the camera viewing the area at an angle rather than along the axis of the stairs? I will do some testing, but want to understand basic design principles as well.

Looks like an excellent and knowledgable forum ... thanks for cutting my learning curve.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lite1 wrote:

From other posts it seems that this is possible by manually deactivating say camera 4 and then activating camera 6 to switch from having cameras 1-5 active to then having cameras 1-4, & 6 active. Am I correct that activation in the app is easy AND that one does not need to synch the camera (again) to the Pro2 base?

This isn't something I've needed to do, so I'm not sure if you need to remove/re-add the camera to the account or not.

Another workaround is to purchase a second base station, and create a second account for it (using a different email address).  Then grant access to the cameras to the first account.  If your cameras are logically grouped (front/back or inside/outside), this is quite straightforward.  Multiple base stations also give you some additional robustness (giving you some coverage if a base goes off-line for some reason or fails).

@lite1 wrote:

Would it be best then to have the camera viewing the area at an angle rather than along the axis of the stairs? I will do some testing, but want to understand basic design principles as well.

Yes, it would be better to have an oblique angle.  The PIR sensors that detect motion are next to the camera lens, and the detection zone is set up to be most sensitive at the edge of the field of view.  So someone walking up the center of the field of view might not be detected.  Note that at close distances, people generally will be detected anyway, so this is something you do want to test.  Ideally test with the cameras in the desired locations before drilling (though that might not be practical).

Another consideration here is controlling unwanted motion detection.  The best approach is to limit the field of view to the area of interest - especially if you want to stay with the basic (free) subscription.  That's sometimes not easy.  

There is some guidance here (with basic principles that apply to all Arlo cameras): https://kb.arlo.com/000051462/How-do-I-position-my-Arlo-Pro-2-camera

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lite1 wrote:

From other posts it seems that this is possible by manually deactivating say camera 4 and then activating camera 6 to switch from having cameras 1-5 active to then having cameras 1-4, & 6 active. Am I correct that activation in the app is easy AND that one does not need to synch the camera (again) to the Pro2 base?

This isn't something I've needed to do, so I'm not sure if you need to remove/re-add the camera to the account or not.

Another workaround is to purchase a second base station, and create a second account for it (using a different email address).  Then grant access to the cameras to the first account.  If your cameras are logically grouped (front/back or inside/outside), this is quite straightforward.  Multiple base stations also give you some additional robustness (giving you some coverage if a base goes off-line for some reason or fails).

@lite1 wrote:

Would it be best then to have the camera viewing the area at an angle rather than along the axis of the stairs? I will do some testing, but want to understand basic design principles as well.

Yes, it would be better to have an oblique angle.  The PIR sensors that detect motion are next to the camera lens, and the detection zone is set up to be most sensitive at the edge of the field of view.  So someone walking up the center of the field of view might not be detected.  Note that at close distances, people generally will be detected anyway, so this is something you do want to test.  Ideally test with the cameras in the desired locations before drilling (though that might not be practical).

Another consideration here is controlling unwanted motion detection.  The best approach is to limit the field of view to the area of interest - especially if you want to stay with the basic (free) subscription.  That's sometimes not easy.  

There is some guidance here (with basic principles that apply to all Arlo cameras): https://kb.arlo.com/000051462/How-do-I-position-my-Arlo-Pro-2-camera

lite1
Apprentice
Apprentice

@StephenB Thanks, very helpful.  Couldn't find any KB article on camera positioning for outdoor night vision use. Any suggestions as I hope to detect predators such as coyotes & cougar (so as to protect pets who typically are inside dusk-to-dawn, but wouldn't let out daytime unsupervised if predator seen in prior nights)? I understand that range is likely to be no more than 25' and that unless out in open without trees obscuring view might be undetected. Better to just utilize IR  withOUT any outdoor lighting versus allowing some low level light spill from outdoor downward pointing lights?

Certainly will not rely on Arlo 2 as only means of determining whether predators in my rural area, but bought system as cougar had been spotted by neighbor about 1/2 mile from me.

It seems like that for night vision (perhaps especially in summer with heat trapped in sun baked walls) that camera should have as little roof overhang or exterior wall in field of view as possible; and that camera should be aimed along the same axis/direction of any outdoor lighting and/or that outdoor lighting source is at periphery of field of view.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lite1 wrote:

Couldn't find any KB article on camera positioning for outdoor night vision use.

As far as detection goes, the principles are the same.   Motion detection always starts with the PIR sensor,  and it's detection zone is always the same.  Note that while PIR and Nightvision both use IR, they use different IR bands.

@lite1 wrote:

Better to just utilize IR  withOUT any outdoor lighting versus allowing some low level light spill from outdoor downward pointing lights?

If you have outdoor lighting, you'd either want it to be dim enough to keep the Pro2 in Nightvision mode,  or bright/pervasive enough to keep in in normal daylight mode.  My porch lights aren't enough to cause my own cameras to switch out of Nightvision, but this will depend on the specfics of your environment.

@lite1 wrote:

I understand that range is likely to be no more than 25' and that unless out in open without trees obscuring view might be undetected.

Yes, and it likely will be shorter than 25' if the coyotes aren't that large (FWIW, eastern coyotes tend to be larger than western ones).

Also, detection and useful video recordings are two different things.  The cameras include IR spotlights that are used with Nightvision.  But you can augment that with IR floodlights that will show you more.  Those lights should probably be on a timer schedule (not triggered by motion sensing, as they won't sync with the camerqa).

lite1
Apprentice
Apprentice

@StephenB again thank you so much for your helpful and very clear tips on Night Vision. You are an awesome asset for this forum. Your information is much more helpful than what I could find in KB Arlo answers. If later on when I have some experience and start a thread (in proper Arlo Pro 2 forum titled something like "Experience and tips on Night Vision in detecting animals" would it be OK to quote (cut/paste) your answer to me as I believe it'd be helpful to others interested in sharing on such a specific thread topic? Again, thank you for cutting my learning curve.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm glad I was able to help. 

No problem with you re-quoting any of the answers here (thx for asking).