Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

New Arlo user - feature existence (multi-rule, multi-user questions)

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
adambean
Luminary
Luminary

Hey all,

New to the Arlo Pro and while we definitely like it, we've found some key missing features that are making me debate if we'll commit to this purchase. 

1) Is there any way to have multiple rules per camera? For example, our Nursery camera. I want to record on motion with no notification, also record and push notify on audio. Currently I don't see a way to be able to do this.

2) Taking #1 further, we're going to add additional cameras. We'll want each camera to have different modes and rules if possible as they'll have different purposes. Do they ALL have to get grouped up into the same mode, with the same single rule?

3) Being that two people can't be logged in with the same account, I setup access for my wife on her own account and checked every possible box for permissions. Sadly, she doesn't have the same levels of access as she can NOT change the rule of the mode, nor can use Geofencing. So with this, is there a way to have another user have the same full access as the primary account.

4) Following up on #3, is there a way to have seperate rules per user? I travel from time to time for work and we'll have different needs on what to do with the cameras when I'm on the road.

I have a fear that all of these features do not exist. 

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

When you create a new mode, you create a rule for one camera.  Reedit the new mode to add rules.  If you need different settings for different times/purposes, create more new modes/rules.

Granting access is limited, even with the additional permissions.  GF should work but manipulating the cameras may be an issue.  It may simply be an issue of when you're travelling that she will need to use the master account and you use a guest account (possibly use a second email address for yourself and Grant Access).  It's a workaround, I agree, but may prove useful.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You'll have to read the FAQs as to ADD A MODE or custom modes....

While you can only run ONE mode at a time ,your modes can have the options toggled on/off , etc ( alerts, record time , sense levels )

1) not at the same time

2) cameras in the mode can be altered on a per camera basis... some alerts, some record, etc

3) Yes, there can only be ONE primary user, but to both use the cameras at the same time is possible using GRANT ACCESS ( in settings ) so you don't bump each other off... admin level can be granted to about + 90% of the primary account holder ( the few options missing are minor )

She would be allowed to change almost all and use geofence

4) no, but any custom modes created by you would be accessable by the wife

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
adambean
Luminary
Luminary

Interesting, thanks for the follow ups. 

A bit disheartening to hear about some of the functionality. Anyone know if it's worth my time to check out Canary or Blink to see if they offer enhanced functionality in these areas? Blink really caught my attention because of the 1080, but I felt backing Netgear was the right play here simply given company background. That and I really liked the base station idea. Yet now these shortcomings of Arlo have me in debate.

Thanks

adambean
Luminary
Luminary
As for the security in specific... Another user can not modify the rules nor enable geofencing. By design or missing something?
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Unsure of the other devices mentioned....

A secondary users get granted ADMIN rights... depends on what level you give

for listed rights, read this faq; 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/What-privileges-do-my-friends-have-when-I-grant...

adambean
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks. I don't see any mention of being able to modify the mode/rules or enable geofencing. So have to assume, "working as expected", which, is not ideal. Why wouldn't you want to be able to grant admin rights to someone else? Seems odd that they limit that ability.

Does Netgear have a "feature request" submission anywhere?

Thanks

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange/idb-p/arlo-idea-exchange