Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

10:42 AM 9-24-2019: In an effort to answer your questions efficiently, we'll be answering your question within the same post where it was asked. Due to the number of duplicate questions, you may need to refer to the first post answered.

Arlo recently released a new Arlo App for iOS and Android mobile devices. Please join Alex Jukl, senior product manager for Arlo iOS, Android and Web applications at 11AM PT this Tuesday 9/24/19 as he shares the highlights of this update and takes your questions about the new Arlo mobile app.

Alex will be taking your questions live in this Arlo Community discussion thread at 11AM PT Tuesday 9/24/19. We will leave this thread open until the end of the day for you to post questions if you can’t make it during the live chat. Alex will come back and respond to the questions you leave outside the time of our scheduled chat.

AlexJ.png

Alex Jukl serves as senior product manager for iOS, Android, and Web applications at Arlo where he is responsible for creating and delivering new features and enhancements to the Arlo apps. Since joining the company, Alex has led the effort to create and launch the new “By Arlo” app. Prior to Arlo, he held roles in business planning and product marketing at consumer electronics companies where he delivered connected solutions for creative professionals and enthusiasts. Alex earned his bachelor of arts at UC Santa Cruz (go Slugs!) and a MBA from Santa Clara University.

We look forward to having you join the conversation!

Thank you!

237 REPLIES 237
tomashe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Love it, best invention in years, I have a few suggestions; 1 have the cameras charged by solar. 2. put sirens in the cameras; one siren to scare intruders or unwanted guests away and one even super sonic that hurts their ears or dog barking to chase or scare deer  away so they are not eating my garden or flowers.

--

@tomashe Glad to hear you're happy with your Arlo cameras! Our Pro, Pro 2, Ultra and now the new Pro 3 cameras all have Solar Power solutions through our Solar Panel accessories. You can find these here: Arlo Accessories 

The latest wire-free cameras, Ultra and the brand new Pro 3 both have sirens in the camera. Take a look here for comparisons on these latest models:  https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/default.aspx#section-outdoor-indoor 

-JamesC

daveahl
Tutor
Tutor

The original cameras (HD) have a hidden power jack by the latch under the door.  Pull out the rubber grommet and buy a $15-20 adapter on Amazon with a 26' cord.  Works fine. 

pmcneil18
Star
Star

Click the little downward arrow next to the title of this post and choose "unsubscribe".

Bmendoza27
Aspirant
Aspirant
Only my phone can customize Arlo smart notifications. Why is my husband's phone not even given the option in settings for Arlo smart notifications?
We have Arlo Smart Premier subscription.

Thank you
Laketahoe1
Aspirant
Aspirant

When can I download the new APP ?

--

@Laketahoe1 The new app is available now for iOS on the App Store or for Android on Google Play. You must download the new app to continue accessing your Arlo system after September 30th!

-JamesC

Tomad
Initiate
Initiate

For all those people complaining about still getting download reminders after downloading the new app and/or double push notifications, did you remove the old app after downloading the new one?.  On Android at least the new download was a completely new app, not an update to the old app so to solve both problems noted above all I had to do was to uninstall the old app (now called Arlo Legacy in Android).

stevenshipo
Initiate
Initiate

I am not getting any push notifications with the new app on iOs...please help!!!!!!!

kevhackett
Tutor
Tutor
Why do I get this notification almost daily, "Internet connection is lost. Geofencing in Arlo is unavailable at the moment."? Is it referring to my home internet (because I’m not having that issue on other devices) or the internet on my phone (which doesn’t make sense because I have Wifi and cell signal)? This happens to me and the other user. Both devices are used for geofencing and both are iPhones.
surfman44
Initiate
Initiate
Good afternoon. Bought 2 extra cameras 18 months ago. Existing one died. Sync'd new one & mounted .... Daytime pics show a heavy red tint. Am I SOL ? Thanks.
DJackR
Initiate
Initiate

I am new to Arlo and never saw the old app but I wish that I could set a time frame for how long to record after motion activation. I keep getting three or more videos of the same activity because the movement stops and then starts again. It would be great if I could tell it to record for 30 seconds after motion activation.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

This isn't related to the current version per se, but to the over all Arlo system.  

1.  It feels like the Arlo product design and software development groups operate very independently without high level architectural oversight to ensure the entire Arlo ecosystem interoperates well.  This seems like a big miss for Arlo in terms of offering product variety with complementary capabilities all operating seamlessly under one user interface.

2.  Arlo design appears to also miss the boat as it pertains to multi-location installations.  As an Arlo customer, I should be able to log into my account on a browser or mobile app and have  control over systems that are recognized as being located in physically different places...buildings and rooms are the most obvious physical "containers" in this regard.  The data model for the system needs these built-in from the ground up and the various user interfaces and business logic should layer on top of that data model that correctly reflects real life situations.

3.  A surveillance system like this should NEVER have updates pushed out without customer consent.  Arlo has no possible way to know a customers personal life circumstances nor our current ability to interact physically with our systems to correct a problem that was thrust upon us by an unsolicited update that so often brings unintended consequences along with it.  There are many stories from customers who were hundreds or thousands  of miles away from their systems when an unsolicited update crippled the system.

4.  Speaking of updates, I would personally find it very helpful to have a running update log that shows the time and date of every software and firmware update for every component of the system.  I should be able to see when various versions were installed and the entire version history when I interrogate the settings.

I am sure I have more thoughts, but this is good for now.

---

Hi @AncientGeek , good to chat with you again! 🙂

Let me do my best to respond to as many of your questions as I can here :

In terms of multiple locations, groupings, etc - this is something we're aware of and have been working on. Your feedback here validates some of our own observations and thoughts. When we're able to share more, we will!

Re: updates without consent - when there is a non-critical update, users have the option to select "Later" to apply. However, when we deem that a critical update is needed (particularly the case of security updates), the decision is made to have the update pushed to their devices without requiring user intervention. 

Also, for a list of updates for a particular user's system - this is something we are thinking about as well. Today, we have a running list of release notes for all products (https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/bd-p/arlo-release-notes) but we hear you loud and clear about update messages that are specific to the user. 

Thanks for your continued participation and feedback in the Arlo Community! 

-Alex

coolethan
Guide
Guide
Any fix with Google Home and the security lights? I opened up a thread earlier this year, and no comments.

If you ask Google Home to turn on a group of Arlo lights, Arlo fails.

What about streaming the cameras to Google Hub or Chromecast? I takes about 3 mins to load, blurry feed and fails 1/2 the time.

Everything I own works seamless with Google Home, even cheap stuff from overseas.. yet my thousands of $ with Arlo is struggling the most.
dspeers
Initiate
Initiate

Will the change from Netgear to Arlo as an independent organization mean that the Arlo feature request forum will actually get proper attention?  Requests for enhancements have languished there for years with no response from the company.  Why offer a place for enhancement requests and then not act on them (even if to say, this is not part of our strategy) ?

daveahl
Tutor
Tutor

For RED image:  I have the same issue on an HD model.  At night i also see only some of the IR LEDs lit.  The camera is damaged in regards to the night vision always on and the lack of adequate lighting at night.  

garymd
Initiate
Initiate

HW Version VMB4000r3

Firmware1.14.1.1_2913_78b189a

Three Arlo Pro 2 cameras, one Arlo HD camera, one Arlo doorbell

Windows 10 Pro, iOS 12, will be upgrading to 13.1 and iPadOS

The new iOS app is much faster loading than the previous app. The faster speed is appreciated. 

Continuing issues:

1. We have two Arlo Pro 2 cameras directed at the street from our porch which is about 60 feet from the street. The cameras pick up some vehicles, but not others. Is the distance between the cameras and the street a possible reason why some vehicles aren't detected? The conditions are daylight, sunny day, about 70 to 80 degrees. What factors would prevent one vehicle from being detected while another one would be detected?

2. We have one Arlo Pro 2 camera that is connected to continuous streaming. Often, the video on the iOS app is cut short, maybe about 5 to 7 seconds long, while the vehicle passing by is taking longer than that time to do so. Then when I check the timeline for that camera, there is blank space indicating that the camera didn't pick up anything after the short video even though we are paying for continuous streaming. In fact, there are often segments of time, sometimes lasting for 10 minutes or longer, where there are no images in the streaming timeline. Is this a camera issue, a server issue, a base issue, or an issue with the iOS app? This Arlo Pro 2 camera with streaming is pointed perpendicular to the street. 

Thanks for your help!

Robinwong130
Initiate
Initiate
The new app seems to take a long time to load the motion detection footage. This makes reviewing footage frustrating and can delay responses to the situation. What can you do to fix this?
Debbiemcg
Initiate
Initiate

My  cameras ,I can't see any thing,it just keeps buffering,why

ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey all! Wow you guys have a bunch of questions - this is great, and I'm excited to hit as many of these as I can!

giphy.gif

To keep things more orderly, @JamesC has temporarily extended me the ability to edit your posts and type my responses right below your original questions. (I promise that your original content will not be modified in any way!)

Ok - let's get cracking! Feel free to add more Qs as we go, and I'll get to as many as possible! 🙂 

AlexTwo
Tutor
Tutor

All I could find was 3 dots for more options and all asked for me to subscribe, none for un subscribe. I did click on your email and an option to unsubscribe was availble, not sure if I'll get any emails about updates or improvements now, but it stopped the problem for this session, THANKS SO MUCH! It was non-stop.

jdyke62
Initiate
Initiate

Now that you've joined with Google, I have privacy concerns since Google isn't exactly the safest platform. What guarantees  do I have from you that my security footage will be safe?

garryben
Initiate
Initiate

you have sent me the same email over 30 times in 15 minutes pls STop it NOW...……………….

what a bloodys system  ///// still coming inn

jonnymobile
Initiate
Initiate
One enhancement several of us have asked for, for years is the ability to trigger different modes through services like IFTTT, Wink, etc. Having only on or off as a choice is just not sufficient. Are there plans for this to be added? In addition, I'd love to have the Geofencing be able to determine when no one is home (ie knowing I've left but wife is home to behave differently)
Thanks for the consideration!
Sami0924
Aspirant
Aspirant
How do I get the camera blue light to go off when it’s plugged in?
quichda2
Initiate
Initiate
I bought rechargeable batteries about a month ago bc the regular batteries were constantly dying. I thought it would be better but I have to recharge these batteries once a week!! Is there any other options where batteries will last longer?